Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Bleach as sanitizer?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-13-2009, 02:20 AM   #21
The Pol
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 54 Times on 51 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BierMuncher View Post
Yeah, but 96 Oz of Walmart bleach costs about $7.00.
True, but how many GALLONS of mixture do you make for a brew day? If you make 3 gallons to my one quart, you are using 12x as much solution as I am.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-13-2009, 03:20 AM   #22
PseudoChef

Recipes 

Liked 102 Times on 75 Posts
Likes Given: 39

Yuri's calculations still assume you dump out Star San after one use. I have been using the same mixture for about 4 months now. No infections (unless on purpose ) to speak of.

Old 02-13-2009, 03:56 AM   #23
pizzaman
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default Bleach Rules!!!!

funny how all this ranting could've been avoided by a simple use of the search function...or google.

Back in prohibition days, moonshiners would add chemicals such as bleach to their brews to give it a little extra kick...white lightning anyone?

Old 02-13-2009, 08:21 AM   #24
The Pol
Recipes 

Liked 54 Times on 51 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by pizzaman View Post
funny how all this ranting could've been avoided by a simple use of the search function...or google.

Back in prohibition days, moonshiners would add chemicals such as bleach to their brews to give it a little extra kick...white lightning anyone?
I dont see this thread as a rant... more like a factually based investigation as to why Idophor or StarSan would be considered expensive, when it is cheaper than any other (that I know of) method available to the average Joe.

Old 02-13-2009, 09:23 AM   #25
EvilTOJ

Recipes 

Liked 37 Times on 29 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by pizzaman View Post

I don't see how moonshining has anything to do with this thread at all. We're talking about sanitation, and they usually used antifreeze to make the moonshine taste more alcohol-y.

There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness."

Old 02-13-2009, 10:49 AM   #26
EoinMag
Recipes 

Liked 60 Times on 39 Posts
Likes Given: 58

Ok what I do, as a noob so take it as you will, I read it on here, is I use a thin bleach, which is milton fluid which is used for baby bottles etc so is safe and I add vinegar.
The proportions are 30ml bleach:30ml white vinegar to 20l of water, so it's a very thin solution. This is supposed to be no-rinse and I have used it as such once with no ill effects, but the second time I used it I rinsed under the tap. 30 seconds of contact with this is supposed to be sufficient.
I've not had problems with it so far and no chlorophenols.

Old 02-13-2009, 12:42 PM   #27
pizzaman
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Default vin-ee-gar

That looks like what this guy is talking about.

1oz Bleach
1oz Vinegar
5gal water

I'll have to give this a shot next bottling, would effectively cut my water usage down to a mere five gallons, instead of five gallons plus whatever I end up using on rinsing.

Old 02-13-2009, 01:01 PM   #28
GilaMinumBeer
In yo' garage, steelin' yo parts.
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 4821 Times on 4425 Posts
Likes Given: 59

Just be sure to mix the solution properly and DO NOT mix the vinegar directly with the bleach. I forget what it makes but, I do remember that it is nasty.

Old 02-13-2009, 01:05 PM   #29
remilard
Recipes 

Liked 38 Times on 37 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by GilaMinumBeer View Post
Just be sure to mix the solution properly and DO NOT mix the vinegar directly with the bleach. I forget what it makes but, I do remember that it is nasty.
Chlorine gas.

Old 02-13-2009, 02:11 PM   #30
ChrisS68
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrewTaster View Post
I beleive that you sir have just explained my overusage! I feel like a moron lol.
I use Iodophor and I'm a dunker. I originally went with Iodophor due to the fact that it was less expensive, and that it requires such a short contact time. The problem with Iodophor is people use WAY too much of it. People will add it to water until they get a yellow or even amber color. The reality is, if you can actually see it, you're probably using too much. One Tablespoon in five gallons is all you need. That's roughly .6 teaspoons per gallon. Another mistake people make is that they feel that an item needs to be fully submersed in the sanitizer while all that's necessary is for the surface to remain wet for two minutes.

I don't brew as often as some people (certainly not as much as I'd like to), but I haven't been exactly strict with my usage, and the little bottle of Iodophor I bought a year ago still has about a third left in it. I use a plastic tub to store my brewing gadgets and such. this doubles as my washing/sanitizing tub. Once I get my stuff washed, I fill the tub with about 3 gallons of cool water and add around 2 teaspoons of Iodophor. After the utensils get their quick dunk, I pour a couple gallons into the bucket or carboy, leaving a gallon or so in the tub for the inevitable one item I forget to sanitize. With the sanitizer in the bucket or carboy I seal it up, and every 5 minutes or so I swish and roll the sanitizer to cover all the interior surfaces. I'll do this about 3 times over the course of the boil before dumping out the sanitizer.

Once I'm through this bottle I might give Star-San a try, but I have no complaints at all with Iodophor.

Quick Reply