Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Bleach as sanitizer?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-12-2009, 09:44 PM   #1
BrewTaster
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Bleach as sanitizer?

Ive heard there are people who use bleach as sanitizer out there, and im sick of paying for iodophor! Does this stuff really work? How do i use it? And is it safe for consumption no-rinse? Also wondering if itd make sense to store my carboys full of bleach water?

Let me know guys, hopefulyl this'll save me a bunch of money for grains and hops!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-12-2009, 09:48 PM   #2
The Pol
Recipes 

Liked 53 Times on 50 Posts

Bleach is DEFINATELY NOT no-rinse. You want to rinse it well or your brews will be nasty. The dilution rate is something that eludes me now, something along the lines of a tablespoon or so per 5 gallons water.

I use StarSan, mix it up, place it in a spray bottle and you will use like 1/2 quart of mixed solution per session... it is CHEAP!

Last edited by The Pol; 02-13-2009 at 01:18 AM.

Old 02-12-2009, 09:58 PM   #3
ArcaneXor
Recipes 

Liked 72 Times on 70 Posts
Likes Given: 13

You can use bleach as a no-rinse sanitizer, but it's at such a low concentration that it becomes very ineffective (i.e. it requires a very long contact time). The flavor threshold for bleach is very low, and its flavor is very unpleasant if you mess up on the dosage. The savings, to me, is not worth the hassle. $18 of Starsan lasts me for a year or more. It's cheap and it works great.

Kegged: Fat Man Porter w/ 1469, Fat Man Porter w/ 005, Centennial Falcon w/ Conan, Centennial Falcon w/ Denny's, Barrel-aged Fat Man Porter, Belgian Dark Strong, Dark Mild

Old 02-12-2009, 09:59 PM   #4
BigEd
Recipes 

Liked 114 Times on 101 Posts
Likes Given: 15

If you are too cheap to buy iodophor or Starsan you can use bleach but it is not a no-rinse sanitiser. Bleach also takes longer to work so you need a much longer contact time than iodine products. A small bottle of iodophor lasts a long time, doesn't cost all that much, is very fast acting and can be mixed as a no-rinse solution. I do use bleach for cleaning glass carboys. A couple of ounces and fill with water followed by just letting them soak. It's easy and low maintenance but I still rinse the hell out of them afterwards and then use iodophor to sanitize before using. It's up to you but to me the advantages of modern sanitizing products have it all over bleach.

Old 02-12-2009, 10:00 PM   #5
GilaMinumBeer
In yo' garage, steelin' yo parts.
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 4688 Times on 4344 Posts
Likes Given: 57

Sorry Pol have to interject.

According to Charlie Talley bleach can be no-rinse as long as it is acidulated (vinegar) but it does not have a good shelf life and it has to be highly diluted.

For more seek out Basic Brewing podcast with Five Star.

BTW, Star San is no-rinse and has an extremely long shelf life when mixed with distilled or even reverse osmotified. I've had 5 gallons stay at proper pH for nearly 2 years.

Old 02-12-2009, 10:06 PM   #6
The Pol
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by GilaMinumBeer View Post
Sorry Pol have to interject.

According to Charlie Talley bleach can be no-rinse as long as it is acidulated (vinegar) but it does not have a good shelf life and it has to be highly diluted.

For more seek out Basic Brewing podcast with Five Star.

BTW, Star San is no-rinse and has an extremely long shelf life when mixed with distilled or even reverse osmotified. I've had 5 gallons stay at proper pH for nearly 2 years.

Okay, I recant... for anyone normal, bleach is not no-rinse

Old 02-12-2009, 10:30 PM   #7
jds

Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 14 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrewTaster View Post
Ive heard there are people who use bleach as sanitizer out there, and im sick of paying for iodophor! Does this stuff really work? How do i use it? And is it safe for consumption no-rinse? Also wondering if itd make sense to store my carboys full of bleach water?

Let me know guys, hopefulyl this'll save me a bunch of money for grains and hops!

How much iodophor are you using? 3ml per gallon (excuse the mixed units) is all you need for no-rinse use. A small bottle of iodophor lasts me a year or more.

Old 02-12-2009, 10:37 PM   #8
BrewTaster
Recipes 

1ml/liter, which works out to about 4ml/gallon. Maybe i just need to be more efficient in my use of it. How big of bottles are you using?

Old 02-12-2009, 10:39 PM   #9
The Pol
Recipes 

If you dunk items in it, you will use a lot more... if you place a no rinse in a spray bottle to spray your equipment, you will use almost nothing.

Old 02-12-2009, 11:03 PM   #10
BrewTaster
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pol View Post
If you dunk items in it, you will use a lot more... if you place a no rinse in a spray bottle to spray your equipment, you will use almost nothing.
I beleive that you sir have just explained my overusage! I feel like a moron lol.

Quick Reply