The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Black Patent for color?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-14-2013, 11:11 AM   #1
NunoAraujo
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Default Black Patent for color?

For my second extract brew I'm planning on making a simple APA, but since I'll have some extra black malt I thought it would be cool to tweak the color a bit (so a not so pale APA...). How much black malt should I use in a 5 gal batch just for color without adding noticeable flavor? I'll also have some wheat chocolate malt, would this be preferable for what I'm going?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-14-2013, 12:13 PM   #2
BrewingViking
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

2oz of black should do it. I wouldn't go over that personally. Never used the wheat before so can't really say. Depends on its intensity.

Old 01-14-2013, 01:00 PM   #3
PhelanKA7
Relax? RELAX?!
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 100 Times on 77 Posts
Likes Given: 202

I use 2lbs Special B and 4oz Black Patent for my CDA and its just dark enough and produces an off-white head.

Old 01-14-2013, 02:06 PM   #4
zeg
Recipes 

Liked 128 Times on 110 Posts
Likes Given: 137

I recently used a bit of black roast barley to color a bock. I didn't want any of the roasty flavor, so instead of adding it to the mash, I cold-steeped it in a cup or two of water for 24 hours, boiled it, and added it to the fermentor. I tasted the extract before boiling and it was pitch black without much in the way of coffee/roast tones.

I think I used 1.5 ounces. Not sure there was any risk of picking up undesired flavors, but this made me feel better about myself.

Old 01-14-2013, 07:02 PM   #5
Toga
Recipes 

Liked 40 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 4

If looking for just color and maybe a bit of flavor black prinz or my favorite midnight wheat would be a better choice than black patent malt.

Old 01-14-2013, 07:06 PM   #6
dpatrickv
Recipes 

Liked 47 Times on 43 Posts
Likes Given: 72

For just color I LOVE midnight wheat as its debittered and imparts very little other than color to my beers.

I'd be careful with black patent though, as you can most certainly over do it with that malt.

Kegged
Summer Session #1 - Summer Session #2 - Hakuna Matata Strawberry Saison - Dank You Very Much IIPA - NZ Saison
Primary/Secondary
Sidelined Short Bus
On Deck

Quick Reply