Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > BJ's Restaurant and Brewhouse

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-22-2011, 09:34 PM   #1
shauntraxler
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Default BJ's Restaurant and Brewhouse

Anyone ever been to one of these places? We've got a couple here in Orlando and I actually enjoy most of what I've tasted. The Nutty Brewnette (http://www.bjsrestaurants.com/bj-beers/beers/nutty-brewnette%C2%AE) is truthfully, IMHO, one of the better browns I've had. Their piranha pale ale was mediocre for me, but like I said, I enjoy most of it.

Any other experiences?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-22-2011, 09:41 PM   #2
weirdboy
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 428 Times on 349 Posts
Likes Given: 59

I've been to a couple in different parts of Texas, and also the one that is about 10-15 minutes from my house. I have had a pretty wide range of experience with their house beers. Some of them were excellent, and some were cringe-worthy. I had an imperial stout that was pretty tasty last time I visited my local one, which admittedly was several months back.

Also I can't recall the exact circumstances but last time I was there the bartender was pretty friendly and hooked me up with a couple of free beers of stuff that was on tap but not listed on the menu, and also gave me a couple of pint glasses they had leftover from some kind of event.

All that and I forgot that they also give you a discount if you are a card-carrying AHA member. Which I am, but I always forget about that kind of thing.

Old 02-22-2011, 10:12 PM   #3
Shooter
Almaigan Brewing Co.

Recipes 

Liked 231 Times on 179 Posts
Likes Given: 38

I didn't find any of their beers to be undrinkable. Some of them were just okay, but I thought the nut brown and Jeremiah Red were both pretty good.

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience. - C. S. Lewis, English essayist & juvenile novelist (1898 - 1963)

scubapoet Likes This 
Old 02-22-2011, 10:19 PM   #4
November
...relax...

Recipes 

Liked 44 Times on 30 Posts
Likes Given: 13

I found most of their beer to be okay, but the one here has a very good bottled beer selection including several nice Belgians and Lambic styles.

Old 02-22-2011, 10:19 PM   #5
Coldies
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Got one right down the street from me in Carlsbad (north of San Diego) and I have only had their "totanka (sp?) imperial stout". Pretty good.

Old 02-22-2011, 10:27 PM   #6
shauntraxler
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

I'm trying to snag a bartending gig up there. Could be interesting...

Old 02-22-2011, 10:29 PM   #7
vortexla
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

I tend to like their house beers, but I agree they can vary in quality depending on the one you go to.

Upcoming: All Cascade IPA, Brett L Pale Ale, Brett A Pale Ale, Brett B Pale Ale, Sour Belgian Pale Ale, pLambic, Gose, Oaked RIS
Primary: Munich Helles, Strawberry Mead
Bottled: Brett C Blonde Ale, Berliner Weiss, Orange Mead

Old 02-22-2011, 10:35 PM   #8
JonK331
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 6

There are several of them here in the Bay Area. I find them to have a corporate feel which I don't necessarily like but overall I have a hard time complaining about the food or the beer. Their house beers are decent, I'd rather drink them than most of the staples that everyone else has, and they have a great selection of guest beers. So kinda corporate but really pretty good.

Last edited by JonK331; 02-22-2011 at 10:35 PM. Reason: BTW: Great root beer too.

Old 02-22-2011, 10:46 PM   #9
NorCalAngler
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 16

I have enjoyed all of their beers I've tried. The location down the street from me no longer brews on site so they lost their license to do growler fills... lame.

Old 02-22-2011, 11:16 PM   #10
Monkey55
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldies View Post
Got one right down the street from me in Carlsbad (north of San Diego) and I have only had their "totanka (sp?) imperial stout". Pretty good.
How do you Pizza Port?? I love(d) that place when I lived down there. It's been a couple of years since I've been there, but I at least try to stop on my way through.

btw - I like BJ's Tontonka Stout too.

E

Quick Reply