BJCP Style Help - Strawberry Saison

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mr_Pants

Reaction score
I'm hoping someone can provide a good suggestion. I'm entering my first competition and I'll be submitting a saison to which I added 5lbs of strawberry in secondary. It has very nice, dry saison character but a really strong berry aroma and taste and I'm just not sure which category I should submit it under.

Is 16.c. Saison broad enough to include high fruit additions?

Or should it be under 16.e. Belgian Specialty Ale?

Or should I skip those and just enter it under 20 for fruit beer? Any suggestions are appreciated.

I would consider entering it both as a fruit beer AND 16E. Entering it in 16C is a bad idea though.

I decided to enter into both fruit beer and belgian specialty. I haven't bottled before so I'm a little nervous about carbonation but I'm going to check a test beer the night before submissions are due to make sure it's okay. I'll post the results, good or bad. Thanks for all of your help.

Just got my results. Got a 28 under Fruit Beer and 38.5 under Belgian Specialty. Not sure if they were tasting the same beer based on the feedback.

Anyhow, I'm happy with the results. I just have to wait until next June to try and improve on it.

Thanks for the help!

Back