Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > BJCP Style Category Question

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-09-2011, 05:18 PM   #1
neovox
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Default BJCP Style Category Question

As far as BJCP styles go, does adding an adjunct like vanilla bean to something like a Porter automatically move that beer from 12-Porter to 23-Specialty?

BrewStreams - Homebrewing and Craft Beer News Aggregator

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-09-2011, 05:49 PM   #2
bertmurphy
Recipes 

In short, yes. There is no mention of vanilla in the style guide for porters. In general, using vanilla usually puts a beer in 23.

When you hear of a beer being characterized with vanilla it would likely be a subtle creamy character associated with the specialty malts used in the recipe.

Last edited by bertmurphy; 01-09-2011 at 05:51 PM. Reason: changed wording in regards to vanilla usage putting a beer in category 23

Old 01-09-2011, 05:49 PM   #3
dwarven_stout
Recipes 

Liked 34 Times on 32 Posts
Likes Given: 6

My experience has been that if you name an ingredient in a specialty style, then judges want it in their face.
OTOH, much more than a hint of a non-style ingredient in a strictly defined beer can lose you points.

If the vanilla is noticeable, I'd say it goes into 21A - Spiced Beer (or maybe 21B - Holiday, if there's more than just vanilla).
If it's background, barely detectable complexity, then you should be fine in the base style.

"I can't believe how many people think Air Lock is pronounced Hydrometer." -BigKahuna
"If you gave me a beer with placenta in it without telling me I would kick you in the nuts." -ODaniel
"We be in a big hurry for dope beer with much alcamahol and flavor, quality, balance, and aroma don't matter. We just wantz to be druck, u know?" -Yooper

Old 01-09-2011, 06:10 PM   #4
bertmurphy
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwarven_stout View Post
If the vanilla is noticeable, I'd say it goes into 21A - Spiced Beer (or maybe 21B - Holiday, if there's more than just vanilla).
If it's background, barely detectable complexity, then you should be fine in the base style.
You're probably right on the category. My main point was that it doesn't necessarily belong in a porter according to the style guide. The guide does mention licorice and toffee which could possibly be considered vanilla-esque. Enter it in multiple categories and see what the judges think about the usage of it, wouldn't hurt.

Old 01-09-2011, 07:43 PM   #5
remilard
Recipes 

Liked 38 Times on 37 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwarven_stout View Post
My experience has been that if you name an ingredient in a specialty style, then judges want it in their face.
OTOH, much more than a hint of a non-style ingredient in a strictly defined beer can lose you points.

Ding ding ding.

I was at at a competition recently where somebody entered an Imperial Stout and listed vanilla and coffee on the special ingredients.

1. You shouldn't do that but
2. It brought up the fact that several of the classic examples of 13F include things like vanilla (Rogue RIS), licorice (Rogue RIS), coffee (dark lord) and/or oak aging (Abyss). These ingredients in these beers add background complexity and are appropriate in 13F even though the guideline doesn't mention these ingredients. If you put a lot of vanilla in a RIS like vanilla bean Dark Lord or BCS Vanilla then you would put it in 21A.

Old 01-09-2011, 09:48 PM   #6
neovox
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Interesting responses. The question comes up because I have a brown porter that would normally be a 12a but I used 2 vanilla beans in the secondary to make it a vanilla porter. The vanilla is definitely there but not over the top. Still, I question if it is out of style now for 12a.

BrewStreams - Homebrewing and Craft Beer News Aggregator

Old 01-09-2011, 09:54 PM   #7
dwarven_stout
Recipes 

Liked 34 Times on 32 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Yes.

Knowing what 2 beans in a porter tastes like, I would ding it in a competition. That doesn't mean that you *can't* enter it as such (do you have something else that you'd rather enter in 21 or 23?), but if you're looking for the best score it would be unwise to do so.

"I can't believe how many people think Air Lock is pronounced Hydrometer." -BigKahuna
"If you gave me a beer with placenta in it without telling me I would kick you in the nuts." -ODaniel
"We be in a big hurry for dope beer with much alcamahol and flavor, quality, balance, and aroma don't matter. We just wantz to be druck, u know?" -Yooper

Quick Reply