BJCP Judges in Vancouver, BC?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WorryWort

Reaction score
Hey,

A friend and I are trying to get a Vancouver, BC based competition off the ground. I was curious is there are any BCJP judges in or around Vancouver?

If not, has anyone had any good experience using non-BCJP judges for competition? For example, I know several pro-brewers that could judge.

Thanks!

Maybe Dan, some of the local brewers or CAMRA Vancouver know.

Sounds like a great idea. I have a 'pie in the sky' (at least with the busyness of my life right now) to take the BJCP exam at some point. A man can dream can't he?

Keep us in the loop, WorryWort. Really great idea! :mug:

Maybe Dan, some of the local brewers or CAMRA Vancouver know.

Sounds like a great idea. I have a 'pie in the sky' (at least with the busyness of my life right now) to take the BJCP exam at some point. A man can dream can't he?

Keep us in the loop, WorryWort. Really great idea! :mug:

Yeh, I could twist Dan's Arm into judging. He doesn't have the BCJP though.

When you register with the BJCP for the competition (it's $35), they can send you a list of the BJCP judges in your area.

Maybe check with them first, to find out how many judges there are before you pay the fee.

Just got done judging for the Arkansas State Fair "Amateur Beer" competition. We had a few (3-4) BJCP judges, but the majority or our judges were non-BJCP with a bit of informal tasting/judging experience through the Central Arkansas Fermenters club. We had several beginners who had never judged a competition before also. The BJCP folks were paired as best as possible with the amateurs and beginners. The Best of Show judging was done by the brew masters of three local microbreweries.
I know we're nowhere near Vancouver, but just letting you know that it turned out very well for us. Our club only has 1 BJCP certified judge, but he was able to find others from surrounding states through BJCP.

Terje

If not, has anyone had any good experience using non-BCJP judges for competition?

I've only judged in two competitions, but with one exception all of my scores were within 1-2 points of the BJCP judge working the flight. The exception was an excellent Mild that had been entered as an ESB. When I re-scored it following the guideline carefully, it dropped from a 38 to a 21. The local competitions try to have a BJCP judge on each flight, but there aren't always enough.

Back