Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > BJCP Guidelines clarification ?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-01-2009, 11:31 PM   #1
Trubadour
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default BJCP Guidelines clarification ?

For the American IPA category, if there is any variety of hops not American, does it go in a different category?

My Keezer

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-01-2009, 11:33 PM   #2
EdWort
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 260 Times on 137 Posts
Likes Given: 7

I would not think so. If it tastes like an American IPA, then you are good to go. If it tastes more like an English IPA, the put it under that category.

Old 07-01-2009, 11:35 PM   #3
olllllo
[]-O-[]

Recipes 

Liked 125 Times on 106 Posts
Likes Given: 13

The key is to have, "citrusy, floral, perfume-like, resinous, piney, and/or fruity character".

So it may be OK to have some other hops, if you can achieve this character. Presumably you'd have to have some American hops.

Ginger Beer for Moscow Mules Bacon Vodka
Twitter

Old 07-01-2009, 11:37 PM   #4
olllllo
[]-O-[]

Recipes 

Liked 125 Times on 106 Posts
Likes Given: 13

As an illustratrion, there isn't a judge out there that would be able to say..."you bittered with Hallertau and finished with [Insert AMerican Hop]."

Ginger Beer for Moscow Mules Bacon Vodka
Twitter

Old 07-01-2009, 11:39 PM   #5
carnevoodoo
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by olllllo View Post
As an illustratrion, there isn't a judge out there that would be able to say..."you bittered with Hallertau and finished with [Insert AMerican Hop]."
Although they might try. Some of them pull some amazing notes out of their asses.

Old 07-01-2009, 11:45 PM   #6
Trubadour
Recipes 

Thanks. I've got all American hops except 1 oz, which do meet the description Ollllo mentioned. I just didn't want to win and then have my gold medal stripped for not following the rules

My Keezer

Old 07-01-2009, 11:47 PM   #7
carnevoodoo
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trubadour View Post
Thanks. I've got all American hops except 1 oz, which do meet the description Ollllo mentioned. I just didn't want to win and then have my gold medal stripped for not following the rules
As long as it is along the guidelines and tastes good, you'll be fine. They can't tell you what to put in your beer.

Old 07-02-2009, 12:22 AM   #8
passedpawn
Waste Allocation Load Lifter - Earth Class
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 3184 Times on 1990 Posts
Likes Given: 2712

RDWHAHB. At least this is what the judges would tell you.

Old 07-02-2009, 07:15 AM   #9
MattHollingsworth
Recipes 

Liked 30 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by olllllo View Post
This is not exactly true. Some judges can spot some hops. Maybe not bittering hops, but aroma hops, yes. If you're using a mix of a buncha hops it might get muddy enough that they can't pick them out. But, for instance, I can pick out Columbus or EKG very easily. I've judged with a lot of judges in the past and we'd often pick out which hops were in the beer. It's not random guessing. Judges are brewers too. And if they've used a certain hop a lot in their own brews, they can certainly pick them out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trubadour View Post
In my experience, medals aren't stripped. If you win, you win. They don't review your recipe afterward to see if it complies. But if the judges taste a ton of EKGs in the beer and it's entered in the American category, it won't win, it will have its score reduced. 1 oz is sure to be okay. But say you made a beer with a lot more of EKGs and that earthy character was shining through. Then it would get a reduced score and, assuming it was otherwise a great beer, the judges would write on the scoresheet something like "great beer, but should have been entered in the British category. Keep up the great work but refer to the style guidelines."

I've had this happen to me, and they were accurate.

BUT, I have *also* had judges write on a scoresheet for an IPA I entered using Crystal, Chinook and Columbus, "typical British aroma", which was a laugh.

So, it's not like they're all geniuses. Some of them are spot on, some of them are way off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdWort View Post
I would not think so. If it tastes like an American IPA, then you are good to go. If it tastes more like an English IPA, the put it under that category.
Agreed.

Last edited by MattHollingsworth; 07-02-2009 at 07:26 AM.

Old 07-02-2009, 01:13 PM   #10
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 133 Times on 126 Posts

Actual recipes are not part of the judging process, just the final product. There are contests where the recipe is important, but not under BJCP. Widmer's Collaborator Project with the Oregon Brew Crew is an example. The recipe has to be brewable on their pilot system at a reasonable cost.

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Quick Reply