Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Which bitterness formula do you use?
View Poll Results: Which bitterness formula do you use?
Garetz 0 0%
Rager 5 27.78%
Tinseth 13 72.22%
Voters: 18. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-16-2011, 07:50 PM   #1
alestateyall
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 88 Times on 57 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Default Which bitterness formula do you use?

I am wondering which bitterness calculation method is most popular.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-16-2011, 07:54 PM   #2
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2768 Times on 1657 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

Whatever beersmith is defaulted to. I don't even know. As long as it stays the same on one level it really doesn't matter. The only real issue is if you are typing in someone else's recipe like from byo or somewhere and they are using a different one then you.

Also something to realize is a ton of folks use beer calculus and they used to use their their own "formula."

Quote:
Previously, the default IBU calculation for Beer Calculus was based on an average of a few popular formulas. It did four calculations (Garetz, Rager, Tinseth, and the legacy Hopville calc) and averaged them together. I chose to blend a few conflicting numbers together instead of committing to a single one by default. That neutral position tended to cause some confusion among both types of brewers: those who cared which formula was in use, but didn’t know you could change it, and those who didn’t care at all. Plus, the only indication that a formula selection was being made was a subtle message “avg” near the IBU result – pretty vague about what was happening behind the scenes. Recipes now default to the Tinseth formula. Hopefully this will satisfy those who prefer this formula, and also clarify the default calculation to folks who don’t really care.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 11-16-2011, 07:56 PM   #3
GilaMinumBeer
In yo' garage, steelin' yo parts.

Recipes 

Liked 4898 Times on 4480 Posts
Likes Given: 60

Basic Brewing did a comparative podcast between the formula and tested results.

There were innacuracies accross the board when compared to tested samples but Tinseth was determined to be the most accurate across the range of OG's.

IIRC, they were all fairly accurate to a certain gravity and then the differences became apparent but Tinseth faired the most consistent across all gravities.

Old 11-16-2011, 08:01 PM   #4
solavirtus
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

I use Rager, mostly because that's what all the recipes in Brew Classic Styles uses, and that's where a lot of recipes I brewed early on came from, at least when I started really paying attention to details at that level. So in that way, internally, my recipes are calibrated to Rager, even though I admit it might not be the absolute best, it works for me.

Old 11-16-2011, 08:03 PM   #5
alestateyall
Recipes 

Liked 88 Times on 57 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvy
The only real issue is if you are typing in someone else's recipe like from byo or somewhere and they are using a different one then you.

This is really why I am asking. I like the recipe database here but the IBU #'s never include the formula used. I always wonder.

Tinseth and Rager seem to start to drift at around 1.050 SG which is right around the OG of lots of good beers.

Old 11-16-2011, 08:09 PM   #6
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc

Recipes 

Liked 2768 Times on 1657 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

Quote:
Originally Posted by kehaar View Post
This is really why I am asking. I like the recipe database here but the IBU #'s never include the formula used. I always wonder.

Tinseth and Rager seem to start to drift at around 1.050 SG which is right around the OG of lots of good beers.
I wonder if the default scale on all the major software is the same (beersmith, promash, etc) since most of the folks who post are probably using some form of software, the default must be the same.

I've never typed a recipe from here into BS and never had the IBU's not match.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 11-16-2011, 08:16 PM   #7
scottland
Recipes 

Liked 136 Times on 104 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Tinseth. I find Rager overestimates the IBUs from late additions. Tinseth overestimates late additions as well, but not nearly as much.

Old 11-16-2011, 08:19 PM   #8
remilard
Recipes 

Liked 39 Times on 38 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kehaar View Post
Just match the HBUs (AA%*oz of hops) if you are using someone else's recipe.

Beersmith default is Tinseth, Promash default is Rager.

I use Tinseth in general but I do a lot of whirlpooling hopping or hot steeping and I believe Tinseth underestimates the IBU contribution for that so I have my own estimate of the utilization for that.

Old 11-16-2011, 09:07 PM   #9
tonyolympia
Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 13 Posts

I have been working with an iPhone app called Hopularity, and that uses Tinseth. Working with other recipes and the formulas they utilize (e.g. "Brewing Classic Styles," which uses Rager) is really no problem. I just enter the basic info from the recipe into Hopularity, and see what the original hop schedule looks like when converted to Tinseth.

Then, if I want to substitute hop varieties or fuss with the addition amounts or timing, at least I'll know where the recipe started from, and how my changes would effect balance.

Old 11-16-2011, 09:31 PM   #10
Shooter
Almaigan Brewing Co.

Recipes 

Liked 233 Times on 180 Posts
Likes Given: 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyolympia View Post
I have been working with an iPhone app called Hopularity, and that uses Tinseth. Working with other recipes and the formulas they utilize (e.g. "Brewing Classic Styles," which uses Rager) is really no problem. I just enter the basic info from the recipe into Hopularity, and see what the original hop schedule looks like when converted to Tinseth.

Then, if I want to substitute hop varieties or fuss with the addition amounts or timing, at least I'll know where the recipe started from, and how my changes would effect balance.
Yeah, this is what I do too. I work in Tinseth. If a recipe calls for Rager I input the numbers and then switch the setting to Rager to see if it's matching up.

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience. - C. S. Lewis, English essayist & juvenile novelist (1898 - 1963)

Quick Reply