Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Biochemistry Class and brewing

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-31-2011, 06:36 PM   #1
gstrawn
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 16 Posts

Default Biochemistry Class and brewing

So today while sitting in class we were discussing enzyme kinetics and the effects of pH and temperature on these rates. All I could think of was optimal mash pH and amylase. That's when I realized I was addicted to home brewing. Then when we discussing the digestion of ethanol I learned that alcohol is the most efficient source of energy our body can use. If you were to eat and drink during a meal the alcohol would be digested first. So if I'm on a desert island I'm asking for a beer! Ethanol is also a treatment for methanol and ethylene glycol (anti-freeze) poisoning. All facts that no one I'm around would appreciate so I thought I should share them with some people who would!

Cheers!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-31-2011, 06:42 PM   #2
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2711 Times on 1629 Posts
Likes Given: 3484

You'll find that a LOT of biochemsists are or have been homebrewers. A lot of them use Saccharomyces cerevisiae in research and that leads them often into homebrewing. I know quite a few in the Biochemistry department of the medschool I work in who are into it.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 08-31-2011, 06:48 PM   #3
Airborneguy
Adjunct of the Law
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 836 Times on 619 Posts
Likes Given: 1103

It's all I think about when I'm doing schoolwork, but I guess that's because I'm finishing up a history degree concentrating on brewing and beer

Old 08-31-2011, 07:35 PM   #4
gstrawn
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy
It's all I think about when I'm doing schoolwork, but I guess that's because I'm finishing up a history degree concentrating on brewing and beer
Forget pharmacy. Why am I not doing that? I do enjoy applying what I learn to brewing. It makes things much more interesting.

Old 08-31-2011, 07:47 PM   #5
shanecb
Kvlt Brewer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 9

I more or less jumped ship on a neuroscience path to concentrate on brewing.

We are the Sons of Winter and Stars
We ́ve come from a far beyond time
Forever the fire burns in our hearts
Our world shall never die
- Wintersun

Old 08-31-2011, 09:16 PM   #6
Airborneguy
Adjunct of the Law
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 836 Times on 619 Posts
Likes Given: 1103

Stick with the pharmacy, and do brewing after! My cousin makes $170k a year as a pharmacist! And she's only 27. For me, getting promoted requires 96 credits, and they can be in anything I want. So brewing was a no-brainer.

Old 08-31-2011, 10:29 PM   #7
gstrawn
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy
Stick with the pharmacy, and do brewing after! My cousin makes $170k a year as a pharmacist! And she's only 27. For me, getting promoted requires 96 credits, and they can be in anything I want. So brewing was a no-brainer.
Alright. Plan is be a pharmacist so I get off this college budget and get a serious brewing rig and forget this whole stove top BIAB thing. It kills me not being able to do real all grain but I get it done. Besides not many college kids brew great beer and keg it too, let alone appreciate great beer. Im just clean im converted

Quick Reply