Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Biggest Difference in the Taste of Beer?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-04-2007, 01:06 AM   #1
Rockweezy
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Biggest Difference in the Taste of Beer?

I was wondering as I am relatively new to homebrewing (6 under the belt so far), what changes the taste of a beer the most considering all other things being equal ie. sanitation, temperature, and over variables? Say I am brewing a pale ale, will the hops, type of malt, yeast, or grains I use change the taste the most? Obviously, the differences will change the taste somewhat. Lets say I use the same ingredients, but consitently use different type of hops using the same hop schedule and same weight hops (Cascades vs. Willamette) would that change the taste more than say using different types of pale ale malts and using the same hops over and over? Hopefully somewhat understands what I am talking about.

Last edited by Rockweezy; 01-04-2007 at 01:08 AM.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-04-2007, 02:26 AM   #2
RichBrewer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 83 Times on 39 Posts
Likes Given: 67

To me, changing the variety of hops makes a subtle difference. Changing the amount of hops makes a huge difference. I will admit that I'm no expert when it comes to hops. It's one part of brewing that I haven't figured out. One reason is because I'm NOT a hop head.

The different malts can also drastically change the flavor of the beer. Adding anything from sweetness, roastyness, nuttiness, smoked, to even burnt flavors. Again, different amounts of malt will also change flavor and mouth feel (as well as alcohol content which is part of the flavor).

Cheers,
Rich

Old 01-04-2007, 02:29 AM   #3
Dude
Will work for beer

Recipes 

Liked 55 Times on 45 Posts
Likes Given: 5

I think it is a combination of everything, but the YEAST makes the beer. You can take the exact same recipe of grain and hops and use different yeasts and get totally different beers. Yeast is the key, IMHO.

Up Next: Smoked Porter -- Pub Ale -- Watermelon Wheat
Planning:
Gone But Not Forgotten:

www.IronOrrBrewery.com

Old 01-04-2007, 04:03 AM   #4
Torchiest

Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 5

I totally agree. The yeast definitely makes or breaks the style of beer. I found that out when I started using different liquid yeasts. It was most obvious when I used a trappist yeast. WOW what a difference. Malt and hops give you a lot of flavor variety, but the yeast strain can bring in flavors you can't get any other way.

#48 Black Helicopter Porter #49 Pikemen Porter
Up Next:
#50 Imperious IPA
#51 Razz Buried

Old 01-04-2007, 04:34 AM   #5
Ize

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Another reason, HBT, best brew board on the web.

I never really thought of it that way but it makes so much sense. Most of the time you just think of the yeasties as doing their thing, making nice little ABV for you, but you don't think about what they are converting as contributing to the flavors of your beer. Simple to overlook, but a HUGE component of what makes up your beer. Not just an engine, but a TRUE ingredient of your brew.

Ize

Sig to re-open when it's less of an embarassment
What I do for a living on the web... www.wsoyam.com

Old 01-04-2007, 10:27 AM   #6
boo boo
Recipes 

Liked 30 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Taste is quite individual. What may taste different to one will taste the same to others.

Personally, I think to me that the yeast changes the most, everything else being equal.

How do you BBQ an elephant....first you get your elephant....

Old 01-04-2007, 12:37 PM   #7
mysterio
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Important stuff IMO:

1) Starting out with quality malt, hops, water and yeast.
2) Leaving the beer to mature. Something like a 1.050 OG beer should be left to mature for a month after fermentation before drinking, depending on the style.
3) Temperature - mainly during fermentation. Keep it in the recommended range for the yeast and don't let it fluctuate.

Old 01-04-2007, 12:59 PM   #8
Desert_Sky

Recipes 

Liked 35 Times on 32 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dude
I think it is a combination of everything, but the YEAST makes the beer. You can take the exact same recipe of grain and hops and use different yeasts and get totally different beers. Yeast is the key, IMHO.

Thats what I was going to say too

Old 01-04-2007, 01:16 PM   #9
Hopfan
Nice Beaver....

Recipes 

I have 3 experimental batches going. Since most of my "test batches involved playing with grain bills, I wanted to see how the yeast component affects taste. I took a Brewers Best English Pale Ale kit and split it into three 1 gallon jars (the rest I am using for starters). In one, I used Nottingham Yeast, the 2nd has Coopers Ale yeast, the 3rd has champagne yeast. I know they'll be different, but I just wanted to see how the taste changes. I'll let you know how they work out.

Zip ties are the duct tape of the 21st century

Bad Dog Brewing
Sit...Stay

Old 01-04-2007, 01:26 PM   #10
Cheesefood
Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 21 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dude
Well put, old chap! Yeast is the one thing that's constant in terms of quantity. I could take your favorite IPA recipe, throw a hefe yeast on it and have something wildly different than what you made.
Past Winners: Caramel Cream Ale #1, Hoegaarden Clone, Boom-Boom Vanilla Ale, Lazy Monk Abbey Style, Amarillo Cream Ale. (AG),

Buy a shirt now!!! Please! Did I help you? Buya shirt!
Cool Shirts.

Quick Reply