Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Big breweries using small names to conceal themselves?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-16-2011, 10:19 PM   #1
krazydave
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 24 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default Big breweries using small names to conceal themselves?

I was just watching the movie Beer Wars and it was getting into how the big breweries were concealing themselves by not printing their names on their bottles.
Green Valley Brewing Company from Fairfield, CA was the example they chose to show. Which was a big Anheuser Busch brewery in actuality.

So now I'm curious... Is there a list of these "fake" breweries someplace? Or have any of you run into other breweries like this that don't really exist?

I'd much rather support the small craft breweries on the occasions that I do need to go out and buy some commercial brews!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-16-2011, 10:32 PM   #2
Wakadaka
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 17

You can find some things around google if you look.

One surprise for me was Blue Moon

Old 03-16-2011, 10:41 PM   #3
curlyfat
Recipes 

Liked 35 Times on 34 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Just look where it's stocked on the shelves. If it's in a convenient spot, it's probably BMC. At least that's how it is around here. All the "good" stuff is on a really high shelf, or the bottom shelf.

2. Hefeweizen
3. BYO 15th anniversary Ale
4. Utah Fresh Pressed cider

Old 03-16-2011, 10:41 PM   #4
steakandale
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

I ran across this someplace - but didn't save the link.
and - this is the internet - I don't even know if its accurate.

ANHEUSER-BUSCH INBEV
BUD LIGHT, BUDWEISER, NATURALLIGHT, BUSCH LIGHT, BUSCH, NATURAL ICE, MICHELOB ULTRALIGHT, BUD ICE, BUD LIGHT LIME,
BUDWEISER SELECT, BUD LIGHT GOLDEN WHEAT, MICHELOB LIGHT, KING COBRA, HURRICANE HIGH GRAVITY, BUD LIGHT CHELADA,
ROLLING ROCK, BECKS, STELLAARTOIS LAGER, ODOULS NA, HURRICANE MALT LIQUOR, BUSCH ICE, MICHELOB AMBER BOCK,
BUDWEISER CHELADA, BUDWEISER SELECT 55, BUD DRY, LANDSHARK LAGER, MICHELOB, MICHELOB GOLDEN DRAFT LIGHT,
TILT 8% LEMON LIME, BUSCH NA, SHOCK TOPBELGIAN WHITE ALE, MICHELOB ULTRALIME CACTUS, MICHELOB ULTRAAMBER,
BUDWEISER AMERICAN ALE, BASS ALE, KOKANEE GLACIER PILSENER, BACARDI SILVER MOJITO, ODOULS AMBER NA,
ANHEUSER-BUSCH SEASONAL, BECKS PREMIER LIGHT, BACARDI SILVER RAZ, MICHELOB ULTR POMEGRANAT RSPBRRY, BUD ICE LIGHT,
TILT, HAAKE BECK NA, HOEGAARDEN WHITE ALE, ZIEGENBOCK AMBER, BACARDI SILVER STRAWBERRY, BODDINGTONS PUB CREAM ALE,
BECKS DARK, BECKS OKTOBERFEST, BACARDI SILVER LEMONADE, KIRIN ICHIBAN, MICHELOB SEASONAL, WILD BLUE, ROCK LIGHT,
BACARDI SILVER SIGNATURE SANGRIA, MICHELOB ULTR TUSCN ORNG GRAPFRT, BACARDI SILVER WATERMELON, REDBRIDGE,
BACARDI SILVER MOJITO POMEGRANATE, KOKANEE GOLD, TAKE 6 HOME VARIETYPACK, BUSCH ASSORTED, BACARDI SILVER MOJITO MANGO,
BUD EXTRA, MICHELOB HONEYLAGER, LOWENBRAU,

MILLERCOORS BREWING
COORS LIGHT, MILLER LITE, KEYSTONE LIGHT, MILLER HIGH LIFE, ICEHOUSE, MILWAUKEES BEST LIGHT, STEELRSRV HI GRAV LAGER,
MILLER GENUINE DRAFT, MILWAUKEES BEST ICE, COORS, MILWAUKEES BEST, MGD LIGHT 64, OLDE ENGLISH 800 MALT LIQ,
MILLER HIGH LIFE LIGHT, BLUE MOON BELGIUM WHITE, KEYSTONE ICE, MICKEYS MALT LIQUOR, FOSTERS LAGER,
GEORGE KILLIANS IRISH RED, SPARKS, SPARKS PLUS, MOLSON CANADIAN, BLUE MOON SEASONAL, STEELRSRV TRIPLE EXPORT,
MILLER CHILL, HAMMS, MAGNUM, RED DOG, KEYSTONE, MOLSON ICE, LEINENKUGELSEASONAL, HEN WNHRDS PVT RSRV,
OLDE ENGLISH HG800, FOSTERS PREMIUM ALE, SOUTHPAW LIGHT, HEN WNHRDS BLUE BOAR PALE, LEINENKUGELSUNSET WHT,
MILLER LITE ICE, PILSNER URQUELL, PERONI NASTRO AZZURRO, LEINENKUGEL, BGROLSCH LAGER, LEINENKUGELCLASSIC AMBER,
MOLSON GOLDEN, SHARPS NA, MICKEYS ICE ALE, COORS NA, MOLSON XXX, HEN WNHRDS HONEYHEFE, LEINENKUGELBERRYWEISS,
MOLSON CANADIAN LIGHT, HEN WNHRDS BLOND LAGER, LEINENKUGELRED, LEINENKUGELVARIETYPACK, OLD VIENNA, HEN WNHRD CLSSC DARK,
COORS EXTRAGOLD, HEN WNHRDS BELGIAN WHT, SPARKS LIGHT, LEINENKUGELLIGHT, HEN WEINHARDS SEASONAL, LEINENKUGLCREAMYDARK,
HAMMS SPECIALLIGHT, TYSKIE GRONIE,

Old 03-16-2011, 10:50 PM   #5
krazydave
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 24 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wakadaka View Post
You can find some things around google if you look.

One surprise for me was Blue Moon
Yeah, Blue Moon being made by Coors was big for me also. However, the bottle says Coors right on it, whereas the Green Valley Brewing Company doesn't say Anhueser Busch anyplace.

Its the hidden ones that make me wonder what other ones are hidden giants.

Old 03-16-2011, 10:54 PM   #6
AZ_IPA
PKU
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 6126 Times on 5338 Posts
Likes Given: 737

So where do you draw the line?

Is Redhook a "craft" brewery?

They are ~1/3rd owned by InBev-AB

Old 03-16-2011, 10:56 PM   #7
pkeeler
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 4

How big the brewery company doesn't really matter much to me. A long history of piss poor beer makes me shy away from these AB-I craft beers; but not because they are a big company. It makes sense for a ABI to make a smaller batch craft beer under a different label. Bud is marketed as cheap alcohol for people who don't want to taste much while getting loaded. A Budweiser Hefeweisen at $7.99/6 pack just wouldn't appeal to Bud drinkers and would not be bought by discerning beer drinkers. However, I think Hoegaarden is pretty tasty on tap.

At the same price point, I will probably try the smaller (especially local) brewer first since I've had better luck over time with the quality from smaller brewers. But I wouldn't not try a Green Point or Blue Moon product. Especially, if I was in some of these Western and Mid-Western restaurants where you are lucky the one non-Bud option is a Hoegaarden or Blue Moon.

When an AB-I enters the market, it is competition for smaller guys but it is also validation. If AB-I is selling a Wit, it is probably easier for a local Wit brewer to get distributed to the same stores. They might not have the great shelf space, but they can get in where they couldn't before.

Old 03-16-2011, 11:00 PM   #8
Pilgarlic
Recipes 

Liked 126 Times on 99 Posts
Likes Given: 36

I love the fact that since Miller and Coors married, BMC became just BM.

Old 03-16-2011, 11:01 PM   #9
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2731 Times on 1638 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

Who cares who owns what...All that matters is if you like the beer or not. This whole beer snob thing is ridiculous....Heck read some folks opinions of some of the beers made by some craft breweries...Some folks think Dogfish head sucks...All that really matters is if you like the beer or not.....

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

People Like This 
Old 03-16-2011, 11:04 PM   #10
Pilgarlic
Recipes 

Liked 126 Times on 99 Posts
Likes Given: 36

Well, Rev, I suppose that's true, if all one cares about is the beer. But the huge breweries have been able to sustain the three-tier distribution system that effectively controls small and craft brewers' access to markets, through political and economic influence. That, to me, is reprehensible, whether I can stomach their beers or not, and I won't support them.

Quick Reply