Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Big Brew-400 Bottles of BarleyWine Ready in 1 year

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-13-2011, 07:19 PM   #21
bovineblitz
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 113 Times on 94 Posts
Likes Given: 37

Are you doing 22oz bombers? I mean if I were giving away barleywine I'd probably do it in 7oz bottles or even just standard 12oz bottles.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-15-2011, 06:07 AM   #22
Veinman
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

A few updates as this process continues to evolve:

I think I'm going to go with 3 of the large glass demi-johns, for a bunch of reasons:
they are reasonably priced
at 14.5 gallons I could use them again on 11 gallon batches
controlling temperature will be much easier than 1-45 gallon batch
they are small enough that I can move them if I have to

We're going to be using standard 12oz bottles, I think it's the perfect size because with BarleyWine that means you have enough for 2 servings of 6oz which I think is enough for most people.

on a final side note can someone tell me what the correct spelling is? Is it:
BarleyWine
Barley Wine
Barleywine

Old 06-15-2011, 06:32 AM   #23
scrambledegg81
Flocculation Nation
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 37 Times on 33 Posts
Likes Given: 88

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veinman View Post
on a final side note can someone tell me what the correct spelling is? Is it:
BarleyWine
Barley Wine
Barleywine
^That would be door #3, good sir.
Primary: Nada
Secondary: The Plinian Legacy (NB clone of Pliny the Elder)
Bottled/Fridge: Firestone Easy Jack IPA
Bombers/Growlers/Aging: Firestone 17th & 18th Anniversary ales
Kegerator: Uinta Hop Notch IPA
Coming Up: something spiffy, most likely

Old 06-15-2011, 12:03 PM   #24
mlyday
Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 24 Posts

Those will be really heavy when full. Make sure they are where you plan to keep them. Or build a little wheeled base with some 2x6 or 2x8 and some casters.

Old 06-15-2011, 01:00 PM   #25
broadbill
Recipes 

Liked 309 Times on 219 Posts
Likes Given: 218

My thoughts for FWIW:

Be sure you have your temp control nailed down, I can see hot fermentation temps/fusels being a problem here,, especially at the scale you are talking about (most homebrewers can control the temp of 5-10 gallons, but how to do it for 40 gallons?).

Also, be sure you know the specs of your ingredients. At the scale you are brewing, small changes in ingredients specs are magnified into large shortages/overages when you talk about 40 gallons.

For example, you are thinking of using Columbus at 14% AA and have determined the weight of hops you need based on this. What if you order and find that your Columbus is at 12%, even worse at 9%? You may find you might be a 0.5lb (or more) short when looking at a 40 gallon recipe. My hypothetical numbers might be off, but you get my point. Just something to consider.

Also, what is your plan for yeast? You are going to need alot of it. Doing starters for that much volume wort at that starting OG is going to be a b*ich to manage. I'd probably first make 5-10 gallons of standard pale ale, just to have enough yeast for the 40 gallons of BW. Maybe more...again, you need to nail this down with the calculations...

Do you have an oxygenation setup? I'd get one if you don't. Don't want to chance underattentuation at the scale you are talking about.

I'd scrape the idea of having this beer ready for the bachelor party....why go through all of the effort to make it a special brew, only to "let the cat out of the bag" at the bachelor party? My idea: At the bachelor party serve the pale ale that you brewed for the yeast to ferment the BW!

Another option for fermentation....brew this baby over the course of 4 weekends, 10 gallons/weekend. Ferment in smaller batches (easier to temp control) then blend for secondary or bottling, in a larger container. You draw the brewing out over a longer period of time, but you save yourself headache of what to do with 40 gallons of fermenting wort, all at once.

Old 06-16-2011, 09:58 PM   #26
Veinman
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

I went to order my hops today and found out that hopsdirect is out of columbus which was quite annoying.
morebrew has them but to get 2lbs of Columbus is going to be $60 shipped. at hopsdirect I can get Magnum instead for $11/lb which would be about half price when all is said and done. Would their be a noticeable difference between the two hops assuming I adjusted amounts to produce the same IBU's.

Second I'm looking at a number of yeast options:
First question: Why are s-05 and Nottingham vastly different prices? The best I've found for S-05 is $2.90 whereas Nottingham I can get for $1.75 an 11g pack. I've used them each several times and have never seen a marked difference between the 2 performance wise. I think I'm going to order 16-11g packets of nottingham from williamsbrewing at $1.50 a packet.
I considered buying a bulk yeast brick, I found a 500g brick of s-05 at williamsbrewing but for $85 it really isn't that great a deal, I suspect this is around the going rate for a 500g brick though.

Old 06-16-2011, 10:00 PM   #27
TXCrash
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2710 Times on 2682 Posts
Likes Given: 113

For the yeast, brew a small beer then pitch onto the cake or washed yeast.

Are you just bored and wanted something, anything to type?-IrregularPulse

I will just push my son to have kids at 15. Then I will see the grandkids longer.-AMonkey
IP's wife's boobs weigh more than my wife.-Randar
My wife has the coordination of a drunk two legged spider.-Zuljin

Old 06-17-2011, 12:01 AM   #28
Fpmurphy
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepinjeepin View Post
Now that looks great. Have you bought one? If the shipping cost is half decent that could be a great deal.
I just bought one. Shipping was $20 to Muncie, Indiana.

Primary: Joe's Ancient Orange Mead, Caramel Apple Cider, Lemon Summer Ale
Secondary: Nothing
Kegged: Irish Red Ale, Oatmeal Stout
Ready to brew: Nut Brown Ale

Old 06-17-2011, 07:18 AM   #29
ShakerD
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veinman View Post
I went to order my hops today and found out that hopsdirect is out of columbus which was quite annoying.
morebrew has them but to get 2lbs of Columbus is going to be $60 shipped. at hopsdirect I can get Magnum instead for $11/lb which would be about half price when all is said and done. Would their be a noticeable difference between the two hops assuming I adjusted amounts to produce the same IBU's.

Second I'm looking at a number of yeast options:
First question: Why are s-05 and Nottingham vastly different prices? The best I've found for S-05 is $2.90 whereas Nottingham I can get for $1.75 an 11g pack. I've used them each several times and have never seen a marked difference between the 2 performance wise. I think I'm going to order 16-11g packets of nottingham from williamsbrewing at $1.50 a packet.
I considered buying a bulk yeast brick, I found a 500g brick of s-05 at williamsbrewing but for $85 it really isn't that great a deal, I suspect this is around the going rate for a 500g brick though.
Try www.wholesalehops.com they ship to Canada flat rate for two lbs($14)

2 packs of Nottingham per Demi should be good(I think)? If you need 6 or so I have extra and will be in Edmonton this Tuesday. PM me it you want them.

Old 06-17-2011, 08:46 AM   #30
Veinman
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShakerD View Post
Try www.wholesalehops.com they ship to Canada flat rate for two lbs($14)

2 packs of Nottingham per Demi should be good(I think)? If you need 6 or so I have extra and will be in Edmonton this Tuesday. PM me it you want them.
Thanks for the link they were one I hadn't heard of so didn't check. Sure enough they have Columbus and decent shipping rates ($14 like you said) to boot.
Are you saying 2 packets per 6 gallon demi or 15 gallon demi? I was thinking 2packets of yeast per 5.5 gallon batch would be about right, mr. malty suggested 14 packets of yeast.

Quick Reply