Big Brew 2007

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Figures! There's finally some terrific recipes and our registered brewing site is being taken from us. We normally brew at our LHBS but due to some new local heat created by our Director of (ALPOA) Arizona Liquor Police Officers Association, we'll have to find a new place to brew.

Wild

The first one has not bittering hop addition - funny for an IPA, but I think it looks pretty good. I've never brewed with summit.

That third recipe has a 120 minute boil! Dude, that one is your chance to decoct...

wild said:
Figures! There's finally some terrific recipes and our registered brewing site is being taken from us. We normally brew at our LHBS but due to some new local heat created by our Director of (ALPOA) Arizona Liquor Police Officers Association, we'll have to find a new place to brew.

Wild

Please explain!!??

knipknup said:
The first one has not bittering hop addition - funny for an IPA, but I think it looks pretty good. I've never brewed with summit.

That's because it is "hopbursted" It is kind of an experimental way to get loads of hop flavor and aroma without the harsh bitterness.

Since I saw the recipe last night, I've been researching summit hops....ewwww...sounds like nasty stuff.

Maybe I'll just brew the 7.7.7. on Big Brew day. :D

Chairman Cheyco said:
I did a hopburst ale a while ago, and it came out really bitter. Have done one before, Dude?

I did one before--I was underwhelmed. If oyu go through the archives..it was called Freedom Ale, for a pint, it only costs a buck o fav.

olllllo said:
Please explain!!??
Chuck won't be hosting the Big Brew this year. I'll be seeing him this afternoon to get the full details. I can pass on more info after that. In the meantime, if you can think of any other place to host a brewout, let me know.

Wild

ALPOA?
Registered Brewing Site?

Since when does a union leader make policy. I think I would be brewing in that guys front yard wearing only a side arm and a big FU painted on my chest and when he asked me WTF I was doing I'd tell him to "Register this!".

I think I have all the info here.
  1. All homebrew clubs and LHBS are banned from serving beer at AZ beer fests. The beer must be purchased from a licensed producer.
  2. The LHBS cannot host brewouts because: They cannot serve beer unless they are licensed to do so.
  3. The LHBS cannot host brewouts because: The parking lot is public domain so a permit to close off an area to keep drinkers from fines for drinking in public is needed.
  4. The LHBS cannot host brewouts because: The LHBS would liable for any accidents or fines received by people leaving the brewout.
We are now looking for alternative brewout locations in the valley.

wild said:
  1. All homebrew clubs and LHBS are banned from serving beer at AZ beer fests. The beer must be purchased from a licensed producer.
  2. The LHBS cannot host brewouts because: They cannot serve beer unless they are licensed to do so.
  3. The LHBS cannot host brewouts because: The parking lot is public domain so a permit to close off an area to keep drinkers from fines for drinking in public is needed.
  4. The LHBS cannot host brewouts because: The LHBS would liable for any accidents or fines received by people leaving the brewout.
Are these laws or just this arsehats opinions? in either case . . . If I were you the only thing I would be loking for is my "Dont Tread On Me" flag and a shotgun

wild said:

I spoke to Sean @ HBD. It sounded like he was going ahead with his brewout on the 3 WE in April. Not sure about the status of serving beer will be.

I was disappointed when I talked to Chuck about 2 weeks ago. He was expecting even more people then last year. It sounded like it took up the whole parking lot and then some.
He also said there was something about having a retail store associated with the event that the liquor control board did not like.

olllllo said:
I spoke to Sean @ HBD. It sounded like he was going ahead with his brewout on the 3 WE in April. Not sure about the status of serving beer will be.
I say good luck to Sean. This Danny Thomas seems to be a bit gung-ho. And the word is that he's a homebrewer to boot! I heard that Jeffery is attempting to get the exact wording of these regulations and try to find a way for us all to "get a long".

Wild

Back