Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Biere de Garde or a Dubbel?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-02-2013, 05:22 PM   #1
Savage06
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Biere de Garde or a Dubbel?

I was planning on doing a Biere de Garde I put the malt bill together based on that recipe however the store was out of any similar farmhouse strains. I picked up a vial of the WLP 510 Bastonge strain. I've never used it so with this grain bill and recipe would it end up closer to a dubbel then a Biere de Garde?

http://hopville.com/recipe/1694029

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-02-2013, 07:40 PM   #2
HerbieHowells
Recipes 

Liked 37 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I might call it a Belgian Dark Strong, with that gravity.

Incidentally, I don't know that either the yeast you got or the farmhouse yeast you were looking for would have gotten you something that the BJCP would consider a Biere de Garde. While it may have been a rustic beer in the past, the modern examples that the BJCP uses to define the style tend to be clean- they generally recommend a neutral European Ale yeast or a lager yeast at slightly elevated temps. So in a way, it probably would have more in common with the beers in the amber hybrid subsection than the Belgian and French ale subsection.

All that said, if you end up with a great beer, who cares what style it is?

Old 04-02-2013, 07:54 PM   #3
climateboy
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Yah, screw the categories. The pilsener and high % of sugars put you in Abbey/Trappist style, but you're a little too high in OG to be a dubbel; the variety of malts put you in a farmhouse/Belgian catch-all area; the yeast is the Orval yeast, which is really in its own category; and you're using an English-style hop (Willamette is interchangeable with Fuggle)--so, congratulations, you have just brewed something unique. Enjoy!

"Mas vale bolo famoso que alcoholico anonimo."

Join DC Homebrewers

"Fermentation Without Representation"
(C)

Old 04-03-2013, 06:15 AM   #4
highgravitybacon
Recipes 

Liked 204 Times on 143 Posts
Likes Given: 152

It's nowhere close to a biere de garde, and way too complicated for a dubbel. If you want to make a biere de garde, you need a different yeast and modified malts. If you want to make a dubbel, you'll want a lower gravity, probably less sugar, no american crystal, no cara pils, and way less hops.

Old 04-03-2013, 03:21 PM   #5
Savage06
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by highgravitybacon View Post
It's nowhere close to a biere de garde, and way too complicated for a dubbel. If you want to make a biere de garde, you need a different yeast and modified malts. If you want to make a dubbel, you'll want a lower gravity, probably less sugar, no american crystal, no cara pils, and way less hops.
The recipe I pulled actualyl called for caramunich so just subbed out for pils. But gonna roll with it and see what comes out it was a very ad hock recipe.

Quick Reply