The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > BIAB Guys/Gals - mash temp question

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-26-2013, 04:16 PM   #1
Ridire
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
 
Ridire's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Detroit, Michigan
Posts: 2,730
Liked 650 Times on 439 Posts
Likes Given: 309

Default BIAB Guys/Gals - mash temp question

I have a new kettle - 40 quart stainless. I am going to do a BIAB this weekend and am really trying to get the details right on this one.

I have 13 lbs. of grains and will be mashing in 5 gallons of water (I heat water for a sparge when I do BIAB).

The question is this - how much temperature will I lose from adding the grains? If I want a mash temp of around 154 degrees, what temp should I heat the water to, pre-mash. I am thinking I want the water temp around 160-162 when I add the grains?

I know I will likely lose more temperature during my 60 minute mash than I used to with my 7.5 gallon aluminum pot but I cover the kettle with a sleeping bag during the mash and it seems to do a pretty good job of holding the heat with my aluminium 7.5 gallon pot. Think I'll have the same kind of luck with the larger SS?

__________________
Ridire is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-26-2013, 04:23 PM   #2
evrose
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Carlsbad, CA
Posts: 819
Liked 289 Times on 153 Posts
Likes Given: 211

Default

Use a calculator. Just input all your variables, including starting grain temperature (basically room temp), and it spits out the strike temp (the temp you heat the water to before adding the grain).

http://www.simplebiabcalculator.com/

__________________
evrose is offline
Ridire Likes This 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-26-2013, 04:26 PM   #3
Ridire
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
 
Ridire's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Detroit, Michigan
Posts: 2,730
Liked 650 Times on 439 Posts
Likes Given: 309

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by evrose View Post
Use a calculator. Just input all your variables, including starting grain temperature (basically room temp), and it spits out the strike temp (the temp you heat the water to before adding the grain).

http://www.simplebiabcalculator.com/
Thanks. That is pretty cool.

EDIT: but it does not quite work for the way I have historically done BIAB. It assumes I am doing a full water volume mash, which I do not do.

DOUBLE EDIT: Never mind, I now see the "mash out" box and have checked it. Cool.
__________________
Ridire is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-26-2013, 04:50 PM   #4
TheZymurgist
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
TheZymurgist's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Georgia
Posts: 1,014
Liked 147 Times on 119 Posts
Likes Given: 399

Default

That sounds wrong. Unless your grain is coming directly from the fridge, I wouldn't expect your strike temp to be much over 165, tops. Double check your calculations. Using that calcualtor, I'm getting 160.64, brew365.com is showing 164.26. That's a wide range, but I really trust brew365.

__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Homercidal View Post
Brewing is like sex. It's great with the right people, but always good by yourself. And less chance of infection.
Kegged:
Golden Nugget Saison; Roggenbier
Secondary:
SMASH Citra Barleywine; Barrel Aged Russian Imperial Stout; RIS w/ Saison Yeast
Primary:
Lanier Porter
On Deck:
Barrel Aged Wee Heavy; Imperial IPA
TheZymurgist is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-26-2013, 04:51 PM   #5
Ridire
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
 
Ridire's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Detroit, Michigan
Posts: 2,730
Liked 650 Times on 439 Posts
Likes Given: 309

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheZymurgist View Post
That sounds wrong. Unless your grain is coming directly from the fridge, I wouldn't expect your strike temp to be much over 165, tops. Double check your calculations. Using that calcualtor, I'm getting 160.64, brew365.com is showing 164.26. That's a wide range, but I really trust brew365.
I fixed it. You are right (and my initial guess was right). The strike temp is about 163. I am a dumbass and put 164 in as my mash temp, which was really my anticipated strike temp.

Thanks for the warning, though, before I ended up with a sugar bomb for a beer.
__________________
Ridire is offline
TheZymurgist Likes This 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-26-2013, 04:54 PM   #6
241
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
 
241's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Mission Viejo, CA
Posts: 574
Liked 70 Times on 52 Posts
Likes Given: 188

Default

I usually lose about 8-9 degrees when I dough in on full volume BIAB mashes.

I highly recommend using some brewing software if you aren't already - I use ibrewmaster 1 and it calculates your strike temp based on your inputs (grain temp, equipment profiles, sparge water additions etc.)

Let us know how it goes!

__________________
241 is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-26-2013, 04:59 PM   #7
Ridire
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
 
Ridire's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Detroit, Michigan
Posts: 2,730
Liked 650 Times on 439 Posts
Likes Given: 309

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 241 View Post
I usually lose about 8-9 degrees when I dough in on full volume BIAB mashes.

I highly recommend using some brewing software if you aren't already - I use ibrewmaster 1 and it calculates your strike temp based on your inputs (grain temp, equipment profiles, sparge water additions etc.)

Let us know how it goes!
I use BeerSmith to create/check my recipes. It probably does all of this but I haven't played around with it enough to know its full capabilities.

What I love about BeerSmith is that my LHBS posts a list of its available hops online, with the AA%. I can go on and check to see if they have the same hops a recipe is calling for and I can use BeerSmith to adjust things to keep in style when the hops are not the same AA as the recipe.
__________________
Ridire is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-26-2013, 04:59 PM   #8
TheZymurgist
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
TheZymurgist's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Georgia
Posts: 1,014
Liked 147 Times on 119 Posts
Likes Given: 399

Default

+1 for iBrewmaster. It's the best software I've found. If you don't have an iPad, BeerSmith is the best for PCs. They both calculate strike water very accurately, but you do have to take a little time to set up the equipment parameters.

__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Homercidal View Post
Brewing is like sex. It's great with the right people, but always good by yourself. And less chance of infection.
Kegged:
Golden Nugget Saison; Roggenbier
Secondary:
SMASH Citra Barleywine; Barrel Aged Russian Imperial Stout; RIS w/ Saison Yeast
Primary:
Lanier Porter
On Deck:
Barrel Aged Wee Heavy; Imperial IPA
TheZymurgist is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-26-2013, 05:48 PM   #9
flipfloptan
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: upstate of SC
Posts: 290
Liked 16 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Default

I usually go 7 degrees higher. I make it a pt. to misjudge on the low side because you can always turn the heat back on to raise temp. Just remember to stir. That's the beauty of BIAB.

__________________
flipfloptan is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-27-2013, 04:24 PM   #10
241
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
 
241's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Mission Viejo, CA
Posts: 574
Liked 70 Times on 52 Posts
Likes Given: 188

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by flipfloptan View Post
I usually go 7 degrees higher. I make it a pt. to misjudge on the low side because you can always turn the heat back on to raise temp. Just remember to stir. That's the beauty of BIAB.
^ great advice.

I always keep a nice, cool pitcher of water in the fridge (for drinking, mostly) but if you overshoot your temps you can always add cool water. Or if it's only a degree or two, I never really sweat it because it will decrease as the mash goes on.
__________________
241 is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply


Quick Reply
Message:
Options
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Who is/are HBT? guys/gals behind the scenes AJ_in_HD HomeBrewTalk Announcements & Feedback 22 03-26-2009 04:09 PM
Hi Guys and Gals GaBoy Introductions 9 08-17-2007 01:25 AM
What do you guys (and gals) think of this? Dude Label Display & Discussion 57 01-29-2007 09:24 PM
Hey Guys And Gals Beodude123 Introductions 6 01-06-2007 01:58 AM
Hi guys/gals Kevin K Introductions 4 03-08-2006 07:42 PM



Newest Threads