Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Bevilaqua's breakfast brew

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-15-2012, 06:56 PM   #1
Bevilaquafoto
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Bevilaqua's breakfast brew

Okay, clearly I've been left home alone too long. This weekend I started an experimental one gallon batch of hard cider, a two-gallon batch of Chamomile blond ale, and then I had half a packet of yeast left over that I didn't want to just throw out. After doing a bit of reading, and still wanting to try to experiment, I have steeped up oats, a banana, cinnamon stick, a fair amount of honey, and also maple syrup. I pitched at 70 degrees, and will see what happens. It may be disgusting, but in the interest of experimentation, I will check back to this thread in a couple of weeks after fermenting. Someone should maybe check on me, or send over someone to supervise me as I have CLEARLY been left alone too long in the kitchen.

Lorenzo Bevilaqua
Lorenzo Bevilaqua Photography
http://www.lorenzobevilaqua.com

Leave the gun. Take the cannolis.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-15-2012, 11:59 PM   #2
sweed
Recipes 

Liked 110 Times on 92 Posts
Likes Given: 34

Lol, what kind of oats? Looks like the only fermentable is the maple syrup and honey. How much of each. Almost kind of a mead?

Old 09-16-2012, 12:45 AM   #3
nukebrewer
Brew the brew!
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 10 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 2598 Times on 1533 Posts
Likes Given: 5766

I thought the sugars, at least some of them, in bananas are fermentable. Either way it'll make for one interesting brew. You can't even really call it beer. Random Sugar Wine? I'd like to hear how this comes out.

The only thing more asinine than stupid rules is the enforcement of rules simply because they are the rules.

Inhopsicated: A Beer Blog

Inhopsicated on Twitter

Old 09-16-2012, 11:26 AM   #4
Bevilaquafoto
Recipes 

Mind power, Sweed, mind power! (Sorry, A Christmas Story reference). Yes, I didn't think that the oats had much if any sugar, but I know that oats ARE used as an ingredient sometimes, more to add flavor and texture than as a fermentable. As Nukebrewer said, I think the banana also has fermentable sugar. I am a poor scientist, and was imprecise in my measurement of the fermentables. I probably used too much honey and maple syrup. About a pound of it in all. I have a different problem this morning, though. The oat solids all rose to the top of the carboy, and forced the stopper out of the carboy! I had a bung and blow-off tube feeding into a bowl of Star-San. Does this automatically mean that the batch is ruined? Automatically contaminated, or should I wait and see? I should have moved more slowly in my play, and drained out the oat milk and discarded the solids. I may try this again. Do you think having the stopper off most of the night killed it? How will I know?

Lorenzo Bevilaqua

Old 09-16-2012, 12:52 PM   #5
nukebrewer
Brew the brew!

Recipes 

You're more than likely fine. If the fermentation was vigorous enough to force the stopper out of the carboy, it was probably putting off enough CO2 to keep bad stuff out.

The only thing more asinine than stupid rules is the enforcement of rules simply because they are the rules.

Inhopsicated on Twitter

Old 09-16-2012, 12:57 PM   #6
Bevilaquafoto
Recipes 

YES!! Thank you. This may be a moot point anyway if my concoction turns out to be disgusting, but it actually smells pretty good, so far. I had a thought...if this doesn't work as a mead, or other drinkable concoction, is it too late to steep up some good, dark grain, or maybe add some DME to create an actual beer with it? Could I let it ferment out, and use it as a flavoring agent for a larger batch of something?

Lorenzo Bevilaqua

Old 09-16-2012, 01:35 PM   #7
nukebrewer
Brew the brew!

Recipes 

I like where your head's at, but you don't even know what thing is going to be, so why mess with it at this point? It might be something delicious, it might be something disgusting, but you won't know if you mess with it.

Inhopsicated on Twitter

Old 09-16-2012, 01:38 PM   #8
Bevilaquafoto
Recipes 

Good point. Thank you. I'll let it run it's course, see what i get out of it, and do it again if it's any good. I'll keep updating this thread. Thanks for the advice! It's appreciated.

Lorenzo Bevilaqua

Old 09-16-2012, 01:48 PM   #9
Desp
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I'm thinking you're probably going to have to let this age 6+ months. It sounds like a wine.

Old 09-16-2012, 04:27 PM   #10
djonas
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Yes, I am imagining lots of simple sugar here...you can always try distilling it!

Quick Reply