Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > better head retention?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-09-2011, 05:38 PM   #1
thomasben
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default better head retention?

Need some help..lately been getting a half finger and seems to clear quickly ...great lacing though...

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-09-2011, 07:48 PM   #2
Nateo
Recipes 

Liked 37 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 35

Yeast viability, vitality, and count can all affect head retention. Besides pitching and adequate and healthy starter and maintaining good fermentation temps, using something like 5% wheat malt in the grist will help.

To paraphrase Dr. England - "Off-flavors smooth with time. So do mountains. Brew it right from the start!"

My blogsite: http://nateobrew.blogspot.com/

Old 08-10-2011, 12:24 AM   #3
thomasben
Recipes 

I heard that's a myth the wheat thing is bogus

Old 08-10-2011, 12:30 AM   #4
Golddiggie
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 478 Times on 420 Posts
Likes Given: 266

As long as your brew has head through the entire glass, size doesn't matter. I'm enjoying a glass right now that started off with about 1-1/2" of head, which has settled (at about 1/2 glass left) to a fine layer.

IF you want to retain good head, have clean glasses (well rinsed) and brew it for better retention. What you include in the recipe impacts more than just flavors. Your processes can also impact head retention. Such as if there was any soap residue in your pot/kettle before you started the batch.

I made a batch on Saturday that is the first where I've NOT used fermcap in the boil, or fermenter, in some time. I'm interested in seeing if that has any impact, at all, on the head retention of my brews. I don't think I added it to the primary for my previous batch, but I can't recall exactly (it's been there for just over a month).

Post up a recipe that you're not happy with the head of so that we get a better idea of what you're brewing...

跟猴子比丟屎 ・ Gun HOE-tze bee DIO-se

On Tap: Caramel Ale, Mocha Porter II, MO SMaSH IPA
Waiting/Carbonating: 12.5% Wee Honey II, 8.9% Old Ale, English Brown Ale, Lickah ESB, Mocha Porter II
Fermenting
K1:
K2: Epic mead
K3: TripSix
On Deck: Caramel Ale
Aging:mead
Mead [bottled]:Oaked Wildflower Traditional, Mocha Madness, Blackberry Melomel, maple wine

Old 08-10-2011, 01:18 AM   #5
Nateo
Recipes 

Liked 37 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomasben View Post
I heard that's a myth the wheat thing is bogus
What's your source on that? Everything I've read, and my experience, supports the premise that wheat malt can improve head retention, provided of course good brewing practices are followed throughout the process. I'm not saying wheat malt would fix all head issues, all the time.

To paraphrase Dr. England - "Off-flavors smooth with time. So do mountains. Brew it right from the start!"

My blogsite: http://nateobrew.blogspot.com/

Quick Reply