Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Best way to use Temp Control probe

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-30-2012, 12:28 AM   #11
cwi
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 32 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterSense View Post
I want to do exactly this thing, but not because I can't increase my keezer temps. I want to do it so that I can ferment ales in my keezer, and still leave my kegs at serving temperature, all in the same keezer. I think if I use a fermwrap around my carboy, it might work, but I don't know if a thermowell will be necessary.
It is tricky to do this, and I don't know if I would attempt it without a thermowell placed close to the inner wall. It is surprising how much impact the ambient air has on the sensor when taped to the outer wall, then insulated. No amount of insulation seems to be too much to still have some impact of ambient on the sensor. This is advantageous when using a freezer/fridge to control ferm, since it helps prevent over/under shoot, as well as radial stratification (which is an issue when using a thermowell in the center).

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-30-2012, 02:30 AM   #12
smata67
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 2

This is how I've been brewing for 2 years now. Probe is buried in insulation, reads the bucket's temperature. I threw out the door and replaced with an insulation panel which makes it easier to move the bucket in and out. The Ranco has a 2 degree offset to prevent over-cycling. Fridge thermostat is at highest (coldest) setting. Notice the avocado color on this garbage day pickup fridge, it is probably 40 years old and still going strong, pulls down to 35 F! National Panasonic Made in Japan fridge!

fridge.jpg  

Old 08-30-2012, 03:50 AM   #13
cwi
Recipes 

Liked 32 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by smata67 View Post
The Ranco has a 2 degree offset to prevent over-cycling.
The offset/differential setting is no help against 'short/hot cycling'. This is where it starts up again very shorty (<5 minutes) after it has just finished running. This can kill a compressor in a matter of hours, or less. Short cycling can easily happen as a result of events like door openings, temporary power losses, or the probe coming loose.

A controller with ASD has a built in delay (usually adjustable) to prevent 'short cycling'. With ASD, it is possible to set the temperature differential/swing as low as 0.5F without worrying about short cycling. The mass of the beer keep cycling frequency well within limits.

The Johnson digital controllers have ASD, as do the $15-25 ebay DIY controllers. The $25 one is even dual stage, and will automatically switch between heating or cooling.

Quick Reply