Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Best of Vermont's Breweries?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-05-2012, 02:14 PM   #21
paulster2626
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 333 Times on 223 Posts
Likes Given: 559

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
My planned October trip fell through, but I just booked 4 day in Burlington for next month. I can't wait to finally hit these breweries. Has The Alchemist re-opened yet?
Dear god... my happy place.... it's gone.......

From their website:
Quote:
Hello friends and fellow business owners.

First and foremost, thank you for all of your assistance and encouragement in the months following the flood. This experience was a challenge made easier by your outpouring of support.

We have made the very difficult decision not to re-open The Alchemist Pub and Brewery. While it is extremely difficult to walk away from the business we have spent our last 10 years building, this is the best option for us moving forward. There were many factors that helped us come to this decision.

Primarily, we have recently learned that none of the contents in our basement were covered by flood insurance. Unfortunately, our basement was the lifeblood of our business—our brewery, our beer, all of our food and our offices were in the basement. Moving forward, we have come to the realization that re-building our basement brewery is not a viable option.

At this time, we are focused on reconstructing our building at 23 South Main Street . Zoning has been approved to re-build a 60 seat pub. John and I are determined to re-build as fast as possible to contribute to the vitality of downtown Waterbury . We are in talks with a few different restaurateurs to take over the space. We will find the best fit for Waterbury —someone who can continue to run the pub in a warm, friendly and accessible manner, and provide employment opportunities to our staff.

The Alchemist will continue to be involved in the village of Waterbury . As property owners, we will continue to put our best foot forward with the aesthetics of the building. It is our belief that without the day-to-day operations of the pub and brewery, we will be able to spend more time on community focused special events. Moreover, and probably most important, we will move our 7 barrel brewery to our new production brewery at 35 Crossroad. Once we have installed the brewery, John will be hard at work to supply the community with his creative and tasty small production beers.

If anyone has any questions or concerns about the future of our building or The Alchemist, please do not hesitate to contact us.

Warm Regards,

Jennifer & John Kimmich

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-05-2012, 02:17 PM   #22
paulster2626
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

But maybe it's not all bad news (who am I kidding). Seems they're now brewing and selling expensive craft beer. At least I can swing by and take some back home with me next time:

Quote:
fter eight successful years of running The Alchemist Pub and Brewery, John and Jennifer Kimmich have built The Alchemist Cannery.

The Alchemist Cannery is currently focused on brewing one beer perfectly. Heady Topper, our flagship Double IPA, is not intended to be the biggest or most bitter. It is meant to give you wave after wave of hoppy goodness on your palate. Tremendous amounts of hops will creep up on you and leave you with a dense, hoppy finish in your mouth. So drinkable, it’s scary.

All of our Heady Topper is packaged in 16 ounce cans. Our state-of-the-art canning line, built by Cask Brewing Systems, allows us to package, preserve and protect our beer against the impact of UV light and oxygen.

Also, our cans are environmentally friendly – they take less energy to produce, ship and recycle.

Stop by and visit our Tasting Room, Retail Shop and Self Guided Tour.

The Tasting Room and retail shop are open 7 days a week:

Daily 11:00am – 7pm.

Available for sale are Heady Topper, in 4-packs of 16oz cans, for $12.00, or 1 can for $3.75.

Also available are 2oz tasters right in the store for $1.00 with a limit of 4 per person, as well as gifts for yourself and those you know.

Old 01-05-2012, 03:10 PM   #23
Airborneguy
Adjunct of the Law
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 838 Times on 621 Posts
Likes Given: 1105

Well scratch that one off the list, damn. I'll have to look for their cans.

Old 01-05-2012, 03:28 PM   #24
Misplaced_Canuck

Recipes 

Liked 138 Times on 112 Posts
Likes Given: 42

Quote:
My planned October trip fell through, but I just booked 4 day in Burlington for next month. I can't wait to finally hit these breweries. Has The Alchemist re-opened yet?
Are you gonna be staying in Burlington? So far my only "good bet" is American Flatbread. I was just there last week, their offerings were very good.

VT Pub & Brewery seems to have stabilized a bit, their beers were OK and the place was packed on Thu Dec 30th.

M_C
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebstauffer
Needless to say after more than a few drams my mental efficiency matched my mashing efficiency.

Old 01-05-2012, 03:44 PM   #25
Airborneguy
Adjunct of the Law

Recipes 

Liked 838 Times on 621 Posts
Likes Given: 1105

Yes, we're staying in Burlington the whole time. When I planned it for October, we were looking to stay in a few different towns, but this time we decided just to stay there.

Old 01-05-2012, 04:06 PM   #26
broadbill
Recipes 

Liked 322 Times on 226 Posts
Likes Given: 224

Quote:
RockArt has a new facility right outside of Mo'ville. Saw it when we were heading to the family's house outside of Stowe.

I guess that dust-up between them and Monster was good for business!

Old 01-05-2012, 04:13 PM   #27
mtcpilot
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

My brother-in-law and I went to Magic Hat this summer while on vacation in Burlington and was very unimpressed. The girl giving the tours gave lots of incorrect information about brewing, such as "We heat up the wort, and once it hits a boil, we add the yeast." The tour consisted of looking at some of their posters, watching a 10 minute video of the history of craft/micro-brewing, and then standing on a balcony overlooking their packing area, where nothing was even going on, except a guy pushing a broom around. You then proceed to the tasting room/gift shop for some samples. The gift shop was the only part I liked, and they did have some pretty cool glassware. I wasn't real crazy about their beers... they all kind of seem like novelty beers. It's as if they set out to do something different, like a beet juice IPA, just for the sake of doing it differently, even if it tastes bad.

One place I would recommend would be The Farmhouse Tap & Grill. It's not a brewery, but their food is top-notch, and their beer list is incredible. Also, somewhat off topic, but the Skinny Pancake also has delicious food. Try their savory crepes. Have fun!

Bottled: 4.0 GPA(German Pale Ale), EdWort's Apfelwein
Up Next: 3-Way Tripel, Coconut Porter, Nor'Easter Winter Ale, Once You Go Black IPA, German Pilsner, Scotch Ale

Old 01-05-2012, 04:15 PM   #28
bluemoose

Recipes 

Liked 151 Times on 110 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Don't forget to bring your Birks.

Beer makes me pee.

Old 01-05-2012, 04:20 PM   #29
Baspronick
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I was at the alchemist cannery in the fall. They only brew their flagship beer, heady topper there. I would still suggest going there. It is a quick stop, and you can buy their exceptional iipa for 12$for a four pack of 16 oz cans.

Old 01-11-2013, 01:11 PM   #30
paulster2626
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Alright my annual VT ski tour is set! End o' February this time, but might move it around a bit depending on when a snow storm comes.

Anyway, hitting up the following:
Wed - Jay Peak > Hill Farmstead
Thu - Stowe > Alchemist
Fri - MRG/Sugarbush > Lawson's Finest (just buying some at the Warren store)

I figure heading home with 3 cases is a solid haul. We all know HT is awesome, but are there any particular brews made by HillF and LFL that I should keep an eye out for? Are there any other breweries that I should include in my travels? Already had my fill of LongTrail, MagicHat, and OtterCreek.

And since I'm traveling alone this time - anyone want to ski and drink beer with me?

Quick Reply