Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Best time to brew a punpkin ale

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-17-2013, 04:51 PM   #1
NewkyBrown
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 19

Default Best time to brew a punpkin ale

I'm planning ahead, which isn't like me but I was wondering when is the best time to brew a pumpkin ale for Halloween/ thanksgiving? Should it be aged for a few months or can I wait a bit before brewing?
Also can anyone recommend any tried and tested all-grain recipes?
Thanks in advance.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-17-2013, 05:04 PM   #2
PGEduardo
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 29

Good question, although I'd be interested in extract recipes (sorry to piggyback!)

Old 06-17-2013, 05:08 PM   #3
moscoeb
Recipes 

Liked 60 Times on 43 Posts

Yuri' thunderstruck is excellent pumpkin ale.

Plan plenty in advance, it takes six weeks in bottle to age to best taste and 3-6 weeks in fermenters.
So 2-3 months out, now is the time to start planning and making your fall beer!

Old 06-17-2013, 06:09 PM   #4
DocScott
Recipes 

Liked 107 Times on 83 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewkyBrown
I'm planning ahead, which isn't like me but I was wondering when is the best time to brew a pumpkin ale for Halloween/ thanksgiving? Should it be aged for a few months or can I wait a bit before brewing?
Also can anyone recommend any tried and tested all-grain recipes?
Thanks in advance.
It depends on what kind of pumpkin ale you want. If you're doing a high abv brew, I'd plan on 3-6 months after brewing until you drink it. If its a smaller ale/amber or something, the normal 6 weeks would be fine.

In terms of recipes, I did revvy's partigyle last year. The porter was terrific. The second runnings I used for a lighter ale and it was good. This year, in modifying the grain bill slightly and doing a full batch of the porter. You'll be able to find the original in the recipe section or search it with pumpkin partigyle.

Old 06-17-2013, 06:18 PM   #5
jbaysurfer
Former future HOF Brewer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 460 Times on 351 Posts
Likes Given: 754

I would treat it like any other ale and add 3-4 weeks for letting the spices mellow out if need be before drinking. I also recommend you go easy on the spices. If you keg, know this: Cinnamon leaches into your beer line, and even a PBW/Starsan treatment won't completely get it out. I dedicate that line to spiced/smoked beers now. If you bottle, you only really have one shot to get your spices right, and that's right after you gravity sample it at the end of primary. Don't overdue. I brewed two batches of pumpkin ale last fall, and the first was a touch underspiced, and it got a silver medal in a local contest and was a party favorite. The 2nd one was a bit higher gravity, and I used the entire spice dosage in it, and I couldn't give it away before new years. YMMV.

First Brew was thanksgiving 2011, I'm at 98 batches and counting (as of 10/20/2014), and ran out of room in my signature to list them all.

Old 06-17-2013, 06:59 PM   #6
moscoeb
Recipes 

Liked 60 Times on 43 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbaysurfer
If you keg, know this: Cinnamon leaches into your beer line, and even a PBW/Starsan treatment won't completely get it out. I dedicate that line to spiced/smoked beers now.
That's very good to know! I was planning on kegging mine this fall, guess I won't till I can afford a dedicated line!

Old 06-17-2013, 07:01 PM   #7
jbaysurfer
Former future HOF Brewer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 460 Times on 351 Posts
Likes Given: 754

Quote:
Originally Posted by moscoeb View Post
That's very good to know! I was planning on kegging mine this fall, guess I won't till I can afford a dedicated line!
You can also just buy a couple feet of beer line and replace your current line once the keg kicks. Clean out the other one really well and save it until next time you want to brew pumpkin ale.

In time I believe the cinnamon flavor subsides, but my first pour of whatever is on that line still gives me a hint of it.

First Brew was thanksgiving 2011, I'm at 98 batches and counting (as of 10/20/2014), and ran out of room in my signature to list them all.

Old 06-17-2013, 08:56 PM   #8
NewkyBrown
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 4 Posts

Thanks for the replies.

I am new to this so want to check... Is the spice flavor enhanced with aging or does it fade? If it fades then I guess I need to brew closer to the time.

Old 06-17-2013, 09:20 PM   #9
FuzzeWuzze
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 239 Times on 181 Posts

It fades, you wont want it fresh because then it generally has too much of a kick...after a few weeks though the flavors really meld together better as the spices mellow out a bit.

View Current Brew via my BrewPi setup!

Old 06-17-2013, 11:36 PM   #10
Beernik
Recipes 

Liked 303 Times on 255 Posts
Likes Given: 22

Last year I made a 8% pumpkin Saison. Brewed 8/12/12, bottled 9/16/12, started drinking 10/16/12.

On deck: Apple Honey Ale, Barleywine, Belgain Golden Ale, Malt Liquor, IRA, Wit, Uinta Hazel Clone, Uinta Yard Sale Clone.

Quick Reply