New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > best stone micron size for pure oxygen?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-13-2006, 05:04 PM   #1
Beeratier
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default best stone micron size for pure oxygen?

Hey everyone,

I'm going to buy an oxygen regulator and a diffusion stone setup but I need to know which stone size is the best for doing the pure oxygen thing for the wort. Williams brewing sells a setup with a 2 micron and Northern Brewer sells one with a .5 micron.

Does it even matter? It it just longer time with the 2 micron? Thanks!

"I don't have education, I have inspiration and if I was educated I'd be a damn fool." - Bob Marley

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-13-2006, 05:40 PM   #2
Pumbaa
I prefer 23383
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 68 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 66

IIRC the 2 micron stone is usually used for air pumps since fish tank air pumps aren't real strong UNLESS you start spending more $$ for the large pumps (a Whisper 10 is for a standard shape 10 gallon tank, a Whisper 20 is for a standard shape 20 gallon tank, etc). the .5 micron stone is for O2 bottles since the pressure you are dealing with is much higher (even after a regulator) then you'll get with a air pump.

Old 10-14-2006, 12:53 AM   #3
disaffected
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

My home brew store guy recommended the 2 micron stone, as Pumbaa said, for fish tank blowers. He had this exact setup like the one from MoreBeer, so I bought it. Works great, and is easy to use.

Quick Reply