Best Scale to Measure Hops?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alexavery

Reaction score
Can anyone give me some recommendations on a good, reasonably priced scale to measure hops?

Thanks. I'll check out those options. It seems that most scales I've come across measure to within +/- .1 ounces. I haven't seen one that was more accurate than that below $50 or so.

If anyone has other ideas, feel free to keep them coming.

Most decent digital scales will weigh in ounces or grams. If you set it to weigh in grams, it is more accurate. 1 ounce equals 28.35 grams. You can pick up a scale at Target or one of those places.

I have a... sketchy... little scale a buddy gave me after he graduated from college. Works great, does grams and ounces, that's all I need. It can fit in a pocket which is pretty nice, I just picked up some scientific weigh boats.

Can anyone give me some recommendations on a good, reasonably priced scale to measure hops?

I weigh my hop pellets on this little precision scale from Harbor Freight. It fits in my shirt pocket. It has a resolution of 0.1 gram, yet has a capacity of 1000g.

One thing to look out for is the auto-zero. If you add just a tiny bit to the scale when it is displaying zero, it will auto-zero again and again. Some are getting confused about this. The best way is to not start with a tiny amount but several pellets and you will work around the auto-zero "feature".

The cheapest generic digital scale they have in the kitchen section of walmart or any big box store. I paid 19.99 for mine at target. You don't need anyhting fancy, though I find that having one that can measure both i grams and ounce is great for small batch brewing. That and having it measure into a few pounds will help when you start brewing all grain. But you don't need to get all expensive or fancy.

Thanks everyone for your advice. I'll soon have a scale on my Christmas list. :)

I have a... sketchy... little scale a buddy gave me after he graduated from college. Works great, does grams and ounces, that's all I need. It can fit in a pocket which is pretty nice, I just picked up some scientific weigh boats.

I wonder what your buddy weighed with that scale.;)

Alex, I got a digital scale from Wal-mart that weighs in Kg, g, lbs, and oz. with tare function up to 11 lbs for $20.

Back