Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Best PSI for a Hefe ??

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-06-2012, 01:03 AM   #1
jesseroberge
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Default Best PSI for a Hefe ??

I ste
My regulator to 20 psi at 39 degrees to get 3.25 co2 into my Hefeweisen is that ok ??

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-06-2012, 01:18 AM   #2
Jdaught
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 14 Posts

Yes. To maintain that level of carbonation you will have to serve at that pressure as well. Which means u will have to have a really long serving line, If u don't want a glass full of foam.

Old 09-06-2012, 01:41 AM   #3
jesseroberge
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdaught
Yes. To maintain that level of carbonation you will have to serve at that pressure as well. Which means u will have to have a really long serving line, If u don't want a glass full of foam.
I usualy serve at 12psi what will happen if I serve at 12 ??

Old 09-06-2012, 02:04 AM   #4
jesseroberge
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Anyone ?? Will I rune the beer if I get the co2 volume too high, I want to serve at 12 psi because I think it's general for all beers... I just put it on gas like 2 hours ago, will an overnight 20 psi scrap the batch ??

Old 09-06-2012, 02:28 AM   #5
Jdaught
Recipes 

The pressure in the keg will drop to what the 12psi it is getting which I think is 2-2.5 volumes. I just carbed up my Hefe. I've got it set to 18psi which gives me 3 volumes. That is about as high as I can go with my 14 ft of 3/16 beer line, any higher and I get a glass full I foam.

Old 09-06-2012, 12:53 PM   #6
jesseroberge
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

So I have no choise to carb it at 12 psi then? Because I have an american amber ale that i'm gonna keg friday, they obviously don't have the same carbonation... I don't have a dual guage to pressurise at different levels...

Honestly I thought that I could carb at 20 psi for 2 weeks and then burp the keg a few times then adjust the Psi to 12 and pour I don't know what to do to get a good carbed Hefe without interfearing with my amber ale and glasses full of foam...

I can atest one thing, over 12 psi I get foam no mater what beer I pour...

Old 09-06-2012, 02:21 PM   #7
Jdaught
Recipes 

You will have to serve at 12 psi if you are getting foam at any higher of a pressure. You can carb it up at higher pressures, that just carbs it up faster. When u burp the keg and set at 12 you are releasing that excess pressure and it is maintaining that 12 psi pressure, not the 20 that u just released (burped), and u will have to release a few times throughout the day for it to get back down to 12 psi otherwise you will be pouring foam. Every time u release it the liquid will let go of more co2 pressure until the liquid and gas are at the same psi. The only way to get a higher carb level and run higher pressure without foam is to get longer serving line and without a dual regulator u won't be able to carb two beers differently. Hope this helps.

Old 09-06-2012, 06:26 PM   #8
jesseroberge
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdaught
You will have to serve at 12 psi if you are getting foam at any higher of a pressure. You can carb it up at higher pressures, that just carbs it up faster. When u burp the keg and set at 12 you are releasing that excess pressure and it is maintaining that 12 psi pressure, not the 20 that u just released (burped), and u will have to release a few times throughout the day for it to get back down to 12 psi otherwise you will be pouring foam. Every time u release it the liquid will let go of more co2 pressure until the liquid and gas are at the same psi. The only way to get a higher carb level and run higher pressure without foam is to get longer serving line and without a dual regulator u won't be able to carb two beers differently. Hope this helps.
So if I get you right, I must carb the beer at the max pressure I can serve it at...

Ex: I know that over 12 psi my glass will have foam, so I shouldn't carb over 12 psi.... But isn't 12 psi a bit low for a Hefe ??

Old 09-06-2012, 06:32 PM   #9
Jdaught
Recipes 

Right. You can carb at higher pressures to get it there faster, then u have to burp the keg til it is back down to serving pressure. Example is that u could set it at 30 psi for a day or so then drop it and hold it there for a week and then burp and serve. If u just set it to 12 psi and wait then it will take a couple weeks before it reaches that level of carbonation. Yes that is a low carb level for a Hefe. I think it's like 2.5 and Hefe is usually over 3. I had 10 ft of 3/16" serving line and could only serve at 12 psi. I went and bought 14 ft of the same line just so I could serve at 18 psi which is 3 volumes CO2 which is closer to what it should be.

Old 09-06-2012, 06:36 PM   #10
jesseroberge
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Is there a chart on internet that sais how long until fully carbed at a specific temp at a specific Psi ?

Quick Reply