Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Best Place(S) to catch a beer in Asheville, NC

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-20-2010, 08:51 PM   #21
JJL
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 30 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by maida7 View Post
They have never been overly impressive in my opinion.
When I tried the APA, I was willing to give it a pass because all I could taste was bittering hops. All of the flavor and aroma from the hops (assuming there was any) had dissipated. So, I assumed it was old or had been stored too warm. I figured the porter should have been a little more tolerant to age and handling. But when I tried that it was still just so so.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-20-2010, 08:54 PM   #22
ThickHead
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 45 Times on 30 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJL View Post
Slightly Off Topic, but has anyone had anything from Asheville Brewing Co? A friend of mine brought me a couple of their beers that he got from some friend of a friend of a friend. I tried their Porter and APA. I thought the APA was terrible, and the Porter was so so. However, like I said, it traveled through a number of hands before I got it, so I don't know how old it was or how well it was handled and stored. Anyone have a first hand experience they can share?
Their most popular brew is probably "Shiva" which is an IPA. It is a decent beer but it's not really going to blow your hair back. ABC would not be towards the top of my list of craft breweries in Asheville.

Last edited by ThickHead; 08-20-2010 at 09:36 PM.

Old 08-20-2010, 08:57 PM   #23
ThickHead
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 45 Times on 30 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by maida7 View Post
ThickHead: Are you a MALT member?
Unfortunately no. My transient nature never allowed me to get too involved when i lived in Asheville. I have recently moved to Atlanta in January and have so far spent a total of 6 days there since the move. Work keeps me globe hopping.

Old 08-20-2010, 11:27 PM   #24
JJL
Recipes 

Liked 30 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThickHead View Post
Their most popular brew is probably "Shiva" which is an IPA. It is a decent beer but it's not really going to blow your hair back. ABC would not be towards the top of my list of craft breweries in Asheville.
Good to know. Was curious if it was the just the samples I got, or if they just generally produce average beer.

Old 08-21-2010, 12:01 AM   #25
rain164845
Recipes 

Default where to go

Go to Wedge, pretty much everything is good. LAB has good nitrogen porter. Avoid Green Man... ABC is good when you are watching one of their $3 movies and enjoying wings/pizza. Thirsty Monk is like heaven if you have the money to do it right.

Joe

Old 08-21-2010, 05:13 AM   #26
kylessuperadd
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThickHead View Post
This is a short list to get you a taste of what Asheville has to offer.

Barley's Taproom
Thirsty Monk
Wedge
Jack of the Wood
Bier Garden

Here is a link to the Asheville tourism page on the subject: http://www.exploreasheville.com/where-to-eat/restaurants-by-cuisine-type/brewpubs-microbreweries/index.aspx

As previously mentioned, Highland is a good place to do a tour. They, like most of the local breweries, are very involved in the community. Highland does a lot of brewing of many local award winning homebrewers work.

Also, if you're just looking to pick up a few beers to take back to the room with you and you feel like chatting homebrewing go visit Alex Buerckholtz at Hops & Vines (http://www.hopsandvines.net/) in west Asheville. In my opinion the best LHBS in Asheville. Tell him Chad sent ya. I miss that place now that I have moved to Atlanta.
I would have to agree with this list, in the same order.
As people previsouly said ABC isnt that great. If your there an extra day or two and have checked out everything else its great to go to.

If your looking for food also I really like Hannah Flannagans, great food, and good beer selection, although they have alot more bottled beer then draft beer. The Mellow Mushroom is also a great food spot, hefty on the wallet though.
I have found really anything in downtown asheville is most likely going to be a treat, as I lived there for 4 years going to school, and could probably count the bad experinces on on hand

Quick Reply