Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Best/most interesting blend you've ever had?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-05-2011, 08:17 AM   #1
bovineblitz
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 113 Times on 94 Posts
Likes Given: 37

Default Best/most interesting blend you've ever had?

Today I was at a bar with SWMBO and in front of us were sitting our glasses, one Stone Russian Imperial Stout and one Port Mongo (IIPA). We always share beer so we were going back and forth between the two unbelievably rich and delicious beers.

Well, tasting one after the other was so delicious that I asked the bartender to pour me a "black and tan" with those two beers as my next round. She gave me a pretty funny look but obliged me. It was FANTASTIC. If you've had Troegs Java Head, it reminded me a lot of that but an imperial version. We talked about it for hours afterwards, it was so good.

The bartender later told me that she'd recently had a De Ranke Saison blended with Racer X and that it was actually surprisingly good. I can't even imagine that one.

What are some of your more interesting blending experiences?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-05-2011, 08:30 AM   #2
maltbarleyhops
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 4

youngs luxury double chocolate stout with my VPA.
VPA is beautiful cascade hoppy Pale ale brewed with TF & sons Maris Oter and a touch of vienna.

it is what has spawned my interest in brewing a chocolate IPA.

Old 03-05-2011, 12:09 PM   #3
biochemedic
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 77 Times on 68 Posts
Likes Given: 21

I used to drink a layered beer with Magic Hat #9 and Guinness (aka a 'Black Magic,' as we used to call it)...pretty good. I also really like blending ciders with pale ales/IPA's...originally got the idea from drinking what I knew as a 'Snakebite' (yes, I know this also can refer to a wide variety of different blends depending on where you're from...); ie, a blend of sweet cider and a pale lager. I now prefer the cider/IPA blend so much that I've really considered brewing a hopped cider primarily...this fall I'll probably get a few extra gallons of cider and give it a try...

I want to say I once saw something on TV about a place that specialized in mixing different brews...for the life of me I can't remember where/when I saw it, or where the place was!

Secondary: Why do I keep this line here...?
Bulk Aging: Cocobochet
Planned: Hop Metheglin #3 (NZ hops), Trad. Gesho T'ej

Quick Reply