New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Best Hop Varieties for cVA?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-24-2007, 12:48 PM   #1
Evan!
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 62 Times on 56 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Best Hop Varieties for cVA?

I'm located in Central Virginia. In my yard, I have various growing conditions...dry, sunny, wet, shady, etc. I've never grown hops before, but I'm doing it this year. So, anybody have any recommendations for specific varieties. I was thinking Magnum, Nugget, Crystal, etc. Thoughts?

.planned:
•Scottish 80/- •Sweet Stout •Roggenbier
.primary | bright:
98: Moss Hollow Soured '09 72: Oude Kriek 99: B-Weisse 102: Brett'd BDSA 104: Feat of Strength Helles Bock 105: Merkin Brown
.on tap | kegged:
XX: Moss Hollow Springs Sparkling Water 95: Gott Mit Uns German Pils 91b: Brown Willie's Oaked Abbey Ale 103: Merkin Stout
98: Yorkshire Special 100: Maple Porter 89: Cidre Saison 101: Steffiweizen '09 (#3)

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-24-2007, 01:38 PM   #2
Schlenkerla

Recipes 

Liked 63 Times on 52 Posts
Likes Given: 6

This is the best site I know for getting info on hops.

http://www.freshops.com/rhizinfo.html

They have one shady variety which is ironically called sunbeam. The majority of all others like full sun.

I have considered buying these this week:

Sterling:like a Saaz
Williamette: Like a Fuggle
Sumbean: Shade tolerant Saaz
If I where you I'd start with Nugget & Cascade. Both are fast growers and are disease tolerant. Not to mention Freshops recomendation for beginers. If you wanted to substitute keep the Cascade and find something to replace the Nugget. Its really a bittering hop. If you use fresh hops its a gamble on the bittering potential. Not to mention freshops are best for flavor & aroma.

I have made one pilsner so far hopping lightly with nugget as a flavor hop. Haven't drank a beer yet but it smells good and the shot sized sample I tasted was not too bad, be that bitter or sweet. I'm bottle lagering so I'm patiently waiting it out.

The Cascade has been awesome, too unbelieveable to describe. The flavor & aroma eclipses any dry hop one can use. My American Cream Ale was my first home grown hop beer. I hit about 13 IBU's using dry cascade to bitter and cascade to flavor & aroma hop. It has a very good floral citrusy nose.

The first year of growing these require a lot of TLC; water, miracle grow and sun. The first year yield will be a 2 oz per plant, following years 4x that. Starting with vigorous high yield growers like nugget & cascade is the best way to try your first go at this.

BS Nano-Brewery

Primary: SNPA Clone, Apfelwein
2ndary: Empty
Drinking: Dead Ringer IPA, Ma Duece (50 caliber) - Malt Liquor, Cranberry Wheat
Next: Cali-Common, American Amber, Smoked to Helles

|Myeast 50327|Easy Hop Oast|Smoked Homebrew|

Old 03-24-2007, 02:21 PM   #3
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 130 Times on 124 Posts

Sunbeam is more of an ornamental, it has red stems and yellow leaves. In theoy, the hops are yellow as well. I added one last year just for grins, but didn't get any flowers. Cascades will produce just about anywhere, but the more sun the bines get the more hops they yield.

Look for mold resistant strains.

http://www.freshops.com/usda_hop_desc2.html

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Old 03-24-2007, 02:31 PM   #4
Dude
Will work for beer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 33 Times on 25 Posts
Likes Given: 5

I know I can grow Mt. Hood, and Northern Brewer for sure. Those are 3rd year plants and produced flowers last season

I have second year Glacier, Santiam, Horizon, Cascade, and Chinook planted, but they didn't do much in the first year. We'll see for sure now that those have a decent root base established.

I'm south of you.

Up Next: Smoked Porter -- Pub Ale -- Watermelon Wheat
Planning:
Gone But Not Forgotten:

www.IronOrrBrewery.com

Old 03-24-2007, 04:50 PM   #5
Evan!

Recipes 

Liked 62 Times on 56 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Nice. Thanks guys. Just ordered Mt. Hood, 2 Cascades, Crystal, Sterling. SWMBO's gonna flip. Heheheh. Also ordered some organic PacGem whole hops while I was there. I love those hops!

.planned:
•Scottish 80/- •Sweet Stout •Roggenbier
.primary | bright:
98: Moss Hollow Soured '09 72: Oude Kriek 99: B-Weisse 102: Brett'd BDSA 104: Feat of Strength Helles Bock 105: Merkin Brown
.on tap | kegged:
XX: Moss Hollow Springs Sparkling Water 95: Gott Mit Uns German Pils 91b: Brown Willie's Oaked Abbey Ale 103: Merkin Stout
98: Yorkshire Special 100: Maple Porter 89: Cidre Saison 101: Steffiweizen '09 (#3)

Quick Reply