New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Best grains for a fruit beer.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-09-2013, 05:17 PM   #1
FastTony
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Best grains for a fruit beer.

Hello everyone I was going to start a high gravity fruit infused ale. Something similar to soft parade i am just curious to know some good grains and Malts to use wit this an extract brew. I'm not set up for all grain yet.
Any info will help.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-09-2013, 07:02 PM   #2
BrewToledo
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastTony
Hello everyone I was going to start a high gravity fruit infused ale. Something similar to soft parade i am just curious to know some good grains and Malts to use wit this an extract brew. I'm not set up for all grain yet.
Any info will help.
A lot of it depends on what you like to drink. You can fruit just about any style of beer you want and there is some beauty behind that. I have never had access to Soft Parade but have heard of it. Start with a style you really enjoy and do some research on recipes then go from there. I recently added blueberries to a wee heavy and have yet to crack open a bottle. Good luck!

Old 01-09-2013, 08:17 PM   #3
AgentHubcap
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 26 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 22

I find fruit goes best with blondes and wheats. Anything darker and the fruit gets lost.

Make sure you add the fruit in after the primary fermentation.

Primary #1: Samsquanch RIS
Primary #2: Nuclear Hippo
On Deck: ???
On Tap: SWMBO's Cranberry Raspberry Cider, 1880, The Gentleman, Falconer's Flight SMaSH, Nelson Sauvin SMaSH

Old 01-10-2013, 12:13 AM   #4
Gavagai
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I've made a stout with 3 lbs of raspberry puree. The raspberry did not get lost; in fact, it pretty much dominated the beer.

Old 01-10-2013, 02:18 AM   #5
iambeer
Recipes 

Liked 155 Times on 120 Posts
Likes Given: 128

It depends on the fruit. For example raspberry has a strong upfront aroma and taste while blueberry's rather subtle. I once added 4 lbs of in season crushed blueberry to a 3 gallon batch of hybrid wheat and it came out very good after three months in the bottle.

Also, don't neglect the yeast flavors and how they interact with your fruit.

Quick Reply