Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Best feedback yet! and from a professional too!!!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-06-2012, 04:44 PM   #1
ajbram
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default Best feedback yet! and from a professional too!!!

SO I was over at my buddy's house for the Stupor Bowl last night, and naturally I brought some homebrew. Most people there are steadfast Corona drinkers and won't touch anything dark or hoppy, so my brews were mine to keep. Partway through the evening, my friend's neighbour came over. I knew beforehand that he has 2 LCBO (Liquor Control Board of Ontario - our gov't liquor store here in Ontario) franchises, but it turns out that he is also a beer snob and the regional beer purchaser for the LCBO. This guy knows his beers. Always looking for feedback on my brews, I offered him a couple samples. He tried my Blackstrap Molasses Porter and my Double IPA. The comments were really positive... Basically he really liked the porter, thought it was well balanced and had just enough molasses tang to make it unique but not overpower the beer. If anything he thought the colour was a little dark to match the style, but that was a minor minor thing. When he tried the DIPA, his face lit up. "This is wonderful" he said, "What's the ABV?" I told him ~7.5 which it is (7.48) and he immediately shook my hand and said it was tremendously balanced for that high an ABV and he liked that although it is very very hoppy, I managed to get a nice thick mouthfeel. He thought the colour for this one was beautiful.

Then it got interesting... He asked how much I brew and what kind of volume I thought I could produce. I explained that it's just a hobby, and I didn't have the setup to brew huge batches... 5gal at a time, but I would love to make lots of it if I could.

Turns out, this guy has got several hundred thousand dollars between himself and some investors to start a craft brewery in Gananoque. (if you saw his house you'd know he has a ton of cash). He basically says he gets pissed off that the LCBO policy is not to buy beer from a brewer unless they can supply the entire chain, so he decided to get set up to brew and sell what he wants and what his customers are always asking for but that he isn't allowed to stock.. He is in the process of buying an 1800s building o nthe waterfront and installing brewing gear. He has approached a former co-worker who left Canada to get his brewmaster's degree in Germany. It's actually looking like this might move forward.

and here's the best bit.... While the day-to-day brewing would be handled by the brewmaster (obvious choice), he would like me to help develop the recipes and create special seasonal beers!!! I would be able to continue comitting the same time to it as I do now as a hobby, but brew batches on their equipment and get paid for the results......

Obviously not holding my breath, but this would be AWESOME!

BEst feedback ever

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-06-2012, 04:48 PM   #2
GarageDweller
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 95 Times on 69 Posts
Likes Given: 268

Nice one man!

Old 02-06-2012, 04:57 PM   #3
homebrewdad
Recipes 

Liked 319 Times on 239 Posts
Likes Given: 227

Man, that is amazing! Keep us posted if this goes forward any.

Fermenting: nothing
Lagering: Swarthy Satyr (traditional bock)
Bottled: Royal Goblin (Hoppy Hobgoblin rendition), Treasure Type "T" (oatmeal toffee stout), Enchantress (big Irish red ale), Frostfire (Oktoberfest), Thundersmoke brown ale

Old 02-06-2012, 05:04 PM   #4
android
Recipes 

Liked 37 Times on 31 Posts
Likes Given: 3

sweet!

ebay temp controller | thermostat temp controller

Old 02-06-2012, 05:04 PM   #5
Darwin18
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 656 Times on 473 Posts
Likes Given: 385

Wow, congrats!

Old 02-06-2012, 05:43 PM   #6
I_B_Mongo
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 24

Sweet! Congrats, and good luck.

Old 02-06-2012, 05:44 PM   #7
KraphtBier
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

That is truely a wonderful compliment. It sounds like you have stumbled into a fantastic opportunity to do something most of us can only dream about. Best of luck to you and please update this thread as the project moves forward.

If God made anything better than beer, apple pie, and women (in that order)...he kept it for himself.

Old 02-06-2012, 05:48 PM   #8
IrregularPulse
Hobby Collector
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2754 Times on 2705 Posts
Likes Given: 113

Nice! Some of the best opportunities are those that just fall in place

I should have stuck to four fingers in Vegas. :o - marubozo

Old 02-06-2012, 07:38 PM   #9
Misplaced_Canuck
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 127 Times on 103 Posts
Likes Given: 35

I don't want to be the one raining on your parade, but before agreeing to anything, have your beers tasted by an unbiased/uninterested party.

I recently tasted a couple of homebrewers' beer and they had gotten a bunch of praise from friends/family. When I tasted the beer, I immediately spotted the extract twang and some oxidation.

In their minds, they thought that starting a microbrewery while using extract is feasible. It just isn't. It's not your case in any event.

Bottom line: Don't get into something without getting it tested + tasted by a pro.

MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebstauffer
Needless to say after more than a few drams my mental efficiency matched my mashing efficiency.

Old 02-06-2012, 07:43 PM   #10
Sippin37
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 47

That is really cool, congrats! Oh, and please do post that DIPA recipe

Quick Reply