Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Best Easily Available 12oz Bottles

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-09-2010, 09:20 PM   #1
smata67
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default Best Easily Available 12oz Bottles

So I've picked up a number of different bottles from various sources. I have the generic ones the brew places sell, and several different commercial long neck bottles. BUT, the very best is easily the San Miguel shorties I happened upon by a local guy on CL. He may have picked them up in Asia, not sure. These are HEAVY bottles. There are two sizes, one 11.2 oz, the other 12oz. The little 11.2oz is actually heavier (has more glass) than the longnecks. I also think they seal better. I got some variation in carbonation on my generics and one actually broke off when I was uncapping. The tops are very stout on these San Miguel and they have a nice, overall quality feel to them. Anyway, there is my contribution to the thread. I have a couple of sources near me that have 100+ bottled beers and I'm going to hit them up, but it would be advantageous to know which bottles to look for ahead of time. Are there any other stoutly built bottles out there I need to get my hands on?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-10-2010, 02:10 AM   #2
Suthrncomfrt1884
Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I've always liked the founders shorty bottles.

Another HERMS rig...

Old 08-10-2010, 02:24 AM   #3
passedpawn
Waste Allocation Load Lifter - Earth Class
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 3732 Times on 2295 Posts
Likes Given: 3231

Bass ale is a great bottle... my capper grabs it best out of all 12-ouncers.

I mostly use the larger pint bottles (most German wheat bottles). I literally have about 500.

Small belgian bottles are typically very strong. They have higher carbonation levels and I guess need the extra strength.

Old 08-10-2010, 04:23 AM   #4
Airborneguy
Adjunct of the Law
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 838 Times on 621 Posts
Likes Given: 1105

+1 on the German bottles. I almost exclusively use them. I have a Russian Supermarket down the block from my house that sells various imports in those bottles, CHEAP. Some of the pilseners, which are decent, are $.99!

Old 08-10-2010, 04:32 AM   #5
starrfish
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by smata67 View Post
So I've picked up a number of different bottles from various sources. I have the generic ones the brew places sell, and several different commercial long neck bottles. BUT, the very best is easily the San Miguel shorties I happened upon by a local guy on CL. He may have picked them up in Asia, not sure. These are HEAVY bottles. There are two sizes, one 11.2 oz, the other 12oz. The little 11.2oz is actually heavier (has more glass) than the longnecks. I also think they seal better. I got some variation in carbonation on my generics and one actually broke off when I was uncapping. The tops are very stout on these San Miguel and they have a nice, overall quality feel to them. Anyway, there is my contribution to the thread. I have a couple of sources near me that have 100+ bottled beers and I'm going to hit them up, but it would be advantageous to know which bottles to look for ahead of time. Are there any other stoutly built bottles out there I need to get my hands on?
I like harpoon bottles, no logos in glass, magic hat, same no logo. new castle summer ale and sierra nevada as short necks no logo in glass I NEVER send a logo bottle to competition... just me. sam bottles work for every day drinkers and give aways that I don't expect bottle back. Anchor bottles are coveted for my wheats as they have no shoulders! all the yeast gets to the glass.... I insist on getting those bottles back if I give one out!

“Son, you are a walking violation of the laws of nature, but you’re lucky, we don't enforce them laws.”

Old 08-10-2010, 08:14 AM   #6
throwbookatface
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

If you can tweeze out the widget and peel off the labels, Guinness Draught bottles are pretty damn sexy.

The sexiest beer bottle I have is a 330 mL bottle from Meantime, it's like a shrunken wine bottle that accepts a regular cap. I used it once to show off my IPA , I look forward to designing small labels for the neck. It's like a baby bottle of champagne:

Enjoying: Lagunitas Lucky 13 Ale, Grand Teton Sweet Grass Pale Ale (a MUST-TRY!), Old Rasputin Russian Imperial Stout, some Coors Light too.

Old 08-10-2010, 08:22 AM   #7
starrfish
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by throwbookatface View Post
If you can tweeze out the widget and peel off the labels, Guinness Draught bottles are pretty damn sexy.

The sexiest beer bottle I have is a 330 mL bottle from Meantime, it's like a shrunken wine bottle that accepts a regular cap. I used it once to show off my IPA , I look forward to designing small labels for the neck. It's like a baby bottle of champagne:

Guinness Draught + tweeze out widget+ peel off label = major PIMA (pain in my ass) tried it once for a decent bottle... never ever again even for $11 a 12pack not worth the time and effort! and i drink a ton of guinny at that price!

“Son, you are a walking violation of the laws of nature, but you’re lucky, we don't enforce them laws.”

Old 08-10-2010, 08:32 AM   #8
throwbookatface
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Haha, very true. I stick to the regular bottles for most of my brews.

However, for some reason, Deschute's Mirror Pond Pale Ale is always cheap in 12-packs around San Francisco, so my pale ales supply my coolest normal bottles: Sierra's short stout bottles, and Deschute's tall bottles with hop cones and vines decorating the glass around the "hips" of the bottle. Both seem really strongly built, whereas I've noticed the glass seems to be thinner on some of the Trader Joe's beers I buy.

Enjoying: Lagunitas Lucky 13 Ale, Grand Teton Sweet Grass Pale Ale (a MUST-TRY!), Old Rasputin Russian Imperial Stout, some Coors Light too.

Old 08-10-2010, 08:40 AM   #9
starrfish
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

had a bad batch of sam adams this time last year but no prob since... broke 5 capping... sucked but drank a pitcher full of coffee filter flat beer between 2 of us! low point of brewing... but still still beer!

Old 08-10-2010, 01:21 PM   #10
UncleDave
Recipes 

If you live in the Southeast, Highland Beer has great bottles. Their labels peel off cleanly and always in one piece (without any soaking).

Quick Reply