best beer you have ever tasted

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Veritas said:
Hey Blizzard. How old is your bottle? This is truly a beer that mellows as it ages. It is delicious "young," but if it is a recent bottle, I might give it a year (or more if you're patient) to mellow. I recently enjoyed a bottle from 2010 that was very good.

Mine is from 2010. Maybe I'll crack it for Christmas. Thanks Veritas!

Allagash Odyssey at The Brick Store in Decatur.

Five days later, one the worst beers, Allagash Odyssey at The Rookery in Macon. The lines were skunked. I haven't had a beer there since.

sierra nevada celebration ale 2005.

the first IPA i ever had and my first craft beer. it was at a tiny restaurant on milwaukee's east side. i was having dinner with a beautiful blonde girl, practically the love of my life, in town for the holidays from california. what a great stretch of days that was.

This is a tough one....I have had so many good ones. Two come to mind nearing the top:

1. My father-in-law used to brew. He made up an Irish Red Ale and put the hops in overdrive. That was several years ago, and I absolutely loved that beer.

2. At a recent festival here in NM, there were several local breweries. My normal "favorite" brew from this state is the IPA from Il Vicino. However, at this last festival, they must have brought up a bad batch, as I was not thrilled with it. So, I meandered down to another brewery that I hadn't tried out - Turtle Mountain Brewing out of Rio Rancho, NM. They had a brew called "HY-PA". It was a hybrid recipe combining the grain bill from one of their brews, and the hop bill from another one of their brews. It was simply hop heaven. I pinged the guy serving to see if I could find out how they make it - he gave me an email address, but has yet to get back to me.

Schloss Eggenberg Doppelbock Dunkel in St. Johann im Pongau, Austria. I drank at least 25 pints of it in the week I was there.

Maybe Fatheads Hop Juju I recently had at GABF. At least it's the last beer that I've tasted and thought, "holy crap, I can't believe how good this is".

That is a lot like asking who is the most beautiful woman in the world.....

Too many choices to pick just one.

The amber lager, black lager and seasonal lager at the Strahov Monastery in Prague, Czech Republic. As a strictly ale and IPA guy (at the time) I realized how amazing lagers are.

Tied with those beers would be the home brewed ales and lagers at a brewpub in Prague. Something like 40"regionals"(beer, often homebrewd or microbrews across the country) with 100+ bottles.....and they all cost about $3.......truly amazing.

Ha! Must be talkin' bout commercial beers.

My Kona Chocolate Macadamia Coffee Stout has to be my favorite.

went to a beer fest last week and man, all them craft beers tasted watery compaired to my homebrews.

Ha! Must be talkin' bout commercial beers.

My Kona Chocolate Macadamia Coffee Stout has to be my favorite.

went to a beer fest last week and man, all them craft beers tasted watery compaired to my homebrews.

Something about the way you said that made me Custom Google to your recipe. https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f68/kona-chocolate-macadamia-coffee-stout-360499/

Nice! I'll have to convert to a 2.8 gallon batch and give it a shot! Still have no idea what Galena is though.

I have a ton of favorites in many styles, but one that sticks out the most is the bruery's tart of darkness. I could, seriously, drink that all day everyday. That is exactly the kick I look for when I drink a sour. Jw lees' sherry, tilquin gueuze, pliny, and rochefort 10 are a few of my faves. too. After writing out this novel, I realize that it's too hard to pick one. But Tart of Darkness is SO good!

Javier25 said:
I have a ton of favorites in many styles, but one that sticks out the most is the bruery's tart of darkness. I could, seriously, drink that all day everyday. That is exactly the kick I look for when I drink a sour. Jw lees' sherry, tilquin gueuze, pliny, and rochefort 10 are a few of my faves. too. After writing out this novel, I realize that it's too hard to pick one. But Tart of Darkness is SO good!

I think More Beer just came out with a recipe kit.
http://morebeer.com/search?search=kit888,kit890

Since I am only 21 and currently attending college, I have only experienced so much "high quality" beer.

The best one I have had that comes to mind is the Lagunitas "A Little Sumpin' Sumpin' Ale"

I was learning how to brew for the first time with my uncle and he poured a few glasses of this beer. I have been brewing for almost a year now and I still remember how good that beer was that day.

beergolf said:
That is a lot like asking who is the most beautiful woman in the world.....

Too many choices to pick just one.

This for sure.

One memorable one for me was cigar city vuja de in the tasting room. It was my gateway sour and I caught the bugs from that, no pun intended

Hanuphu Day at Cigar City in Tampa. I stood in line for a 5oz pour of barrel aged Dark Lord. I was pissed I was pissing away so much of the day for that. 2 levels of irony...

First, the best part of the day was sharing the keg of homebrew i brought with new friends while waiting in line for an hour and a half. The second was the greatest 5 oz of beer I ever had. It's worth the hype. End of story.

sfrisby said:
Hanuphu Day at Cigar City in Tampa. I stood in line for a 5oz pour of barrel aged Dark Lord. I was pissed I was pissing away so much of the day for that. 2 levels of irony...

First, the best part of the day was sharing the keg of homebrew i brought with new friends while waiting in line for an hour and a half. The second was the greatest 5 oz of beer I ever had. It's worth the hype. End of story.

I was there that day too, and I was lucky to be geeking out with some guy who ended up waiting in the DL line who gave me a sip. No kidding it sure was awesome. I am still sitting in the 4 bottles of hunahpu I got. I should drink some soon as that is damn fine brew

John Smiths Extra Smooth! Hard to find but lives up to the motto "Pure silk in a glass " I even hear it with a British accent. Runner up, Sam Adams Millennium but that's what I call a sippin' beer!

The comment about this choice being somewhat like choosing the most beautiful woman in the world is spot on (Scarlett johanssen).

It might be the glass of hoegarten I had in Germany that opened my eyes to wheat a decade ago. Or the first Pliny I had with friends shortly after we were talking about how we all loved hoppy beers and should each bring a few new beers to our next vacation (we all live in different parts of CA). Or the little something wild growler at the KOA down the street from the Lagunitas beergarden.

Time and place and the company one is keeping have so much to do with it.

Johnnyhitch1 said:
Blue point on long island has an unbelievable white IPA really crisp hops and spicy belgian yeast. if you have availability of it

I'll have to give it a go next time I buy some beer. Thanks!

I agree with the idea that the experience matters just as much as the beer itself. After my freshman year of college, and drinking Milwaukee's best and keystone light all year, a friend of mine and I split a six pack of yuengling. I have had it since, and it tastes like a normal mass produced lager, but nothing will match those three beers I had back then.

Besides that, I really like the Back in Black IPA from 21st Amendment.

I think the best tasting beer I ever had was a Bud or maybe it was a Coors, but It was the first beer in a week after a backpacking trip and at the end of the trail was a bar. I was hot and tired. Man was that beer good!

The 2011 (512) Brewery Whisky Barrel Aged Double Pecan Porter. Best beer to touch my lips. This year's offering was great, they switched up the barrels to a different Whisky and it lost some of the smoothness of last year's offering.

There are 2 beers that made me WOW more than any other else so far.

Troegs' Nugget Nectar
and
New Belgium's La Folie

My fiancee and I were looking for a little neighborhood beer bar near our hotel in NYC when we were there for a long weekend. I wanted to have a quick beer before a day of sightseeing and museums with my bro who lives there. We found this little place on 106th and Columbus that had just opened at 11:00 AM and stopped in and sat right beside the front window that they had just opened and we could touch the sidewalk from there. Ordered a Delirium Tremens and onion rings for breakfast and that DT was the best either of us had ever tasted. It's far from my favorite beer - although the style is about my fav - but on tap and with the highly positive vibe we had going, it was sublime.

My buddy brought me a fresh growler of SN Hoptimum. That was a great evening.

It's a tie between that and a bomber of Union Jack I had recently... i've had UJ many times but that bomber was amazing.

Granite's "Peculiar" (Halifax, NS) and Driftwood's Fat Tug IPA (Victoria, BC). And I absolutely loved the Guinness straight out of the tap at St. James Gate in Dublin...

My best beer: too many variables and choices.

My most memorable: first batch of Irish red ale.
Turns out my sanitizing wasn't up to snuff and it was like a mouthful of vinegar.

Only batch I ever ruined. So not too bad on that front. Just something I will NEVER forget. Crushed pride

Back