New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Best beer in Virginia?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-19-2013, 03:25 PM   #11
Jayhem
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 249 Times on 201 Posts
Likes Given: 1128

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnesie View Post
Dominion is brewed in Deleware, not Virginia and ABInBev has a significant minority ownership and exclusive distribution.
Up until a few years ago it was brewed in Loudoun County, Virginia.

I have not tried it since it moved to DE but I'm sure they still use the same recipe as it was a well loved beer in northern VA...what a shame it was my favorite VA stout.

Next up: The Hops of Wrath (DIPA)
Primary: Amber Rain (Dry Hopped Spring Amber Ale)
Secondary:
Bottle Conditioning: Spring '14 Kolsch, Swamp Monkey Belgian Golden Strong, Vienna Lager

DrunkleJon Likes This 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-19-2013, 03:35 PM   #12
Barnesie
Recipes 

Liked 63 Times on 34 Posts
Likes Given: 10

I just tried Williamsburg Alewerks Coffeehouse Stout recently, I'd suggest it's a very decent candidate to be your new favorite VA stout:

http://williamsburgalewerks.com/Beers-Ales/williamsburg-alewerks-coffeehouse-stout-ale-winter.aspx

Edit: it is seasonal however, neglected to add that.

Bottles: none
Keg: Junkyard IPA, Alagash Belgian Tripel clone

Beware: Everyone is an expert on the internet.

Last edited by Barnesie; 02-19-2013 at 03:35 PM. Reason: seasonal beer

Old 02-19-2013, 03:37 PM   #13
ajdelange
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 453 Times on 372 Posts
Likes Given: 13

It is, of course, a shame that Old Dominion sold out but Jerry wasn't getting any younger (Old Dominion was his second career) and the commute down to Ashburn from Md every day must have been a big PITA for him. Anyway, that was great stout esp. when he added that touch of liquorice. Don't know if Fordham still uses that. In such cases it is usually the brand that is being bought, not necessarily the recipe.

Old 02-19-2013, 04:25 PM   #14
hogwash
Minimally Exceptional
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 51 Times on 42 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by atomicskiracer View Post
If you are around Charlottesville, skip Starr Hill, its widely considered the worst brewery in the area by the locals. Blue Mountain Brewery and Devils Backbone are far superior in beer taste as well as brewery experience. (Starr hill=warehouse)
I generally agree with this other than the fact that Starr Hill is the second oldest brewery in the area next to South Street, they have plenty of brewery experience. I mean, yes, Jason and Taylor probably have more combined experience than Mark but SH is one of the pioneers of craft beer in the area. When they got big, the quality of most of their main line dropped but I think the Dark Starr Stout is a fine beer as is the Platinum Double IPA. That being said, they were very good the last time I had them which has been a couple years. I don't know if they have changed the recipe on those or not.

Blue Mountain is my favorite around here and the Full Nelson is the go-to beer with them. If you like stouts, their Dark Hollow bourbon barrel stout is fantastic and probably their best beer overall. I just had a Steel Wheels ESB the other day at the brewery and it was mighty tasty. Both of those are packaged in 750ml bottles. Oh, and the Mandolin is a very fine belgian style tripel, also packaged in 750s. Their Evil 8* is another belgian style that's great and I believe they can that one, it's a dubbel. They also have a very interesting barrel-aged belgo-american beer called Local Species that I wouldn't have thought would have been good but is really a fantastic beer. They also bottle that one, again in 750ml bottles.

I would beware of the packaged stuff from Devil's Backbone. I really like their 8 point IPA when I have it on tap but I bought a 6 pack once and it was friggin' disgusting. I dumped it, it was so bad. This was fairly soon after they opened their production brewery so maybe it was a growing pain but I know that I'm not going to buy their stuff in the bottle again.

Old 02-19-2013, 04:54 PM   #15
abandonhope16
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

I like Starr Hill and it's more readily available. If I recall correctly, Old Dominion left Virginia and Lost Rhino took their space in Ashburn. I like Lost Rhino, but they are local to me and I occasionally swing by for a Growler fill. Other than that, they have Bombers, but I don't think they have much of a distribution chain.

Old 02-19-2013, 05:19 PM   #16
Jayhem
Recipes 

Liked 249 Times on 201 Posts
Likes Given: 1128

Quote:
Originally Posted by abandonhope16 View Post
I like Starr Hill and it's more readily available. If I recall correctly, Old Dominion left Virginia and Lost Rhino took their space in Ashburn. I like Lost Rhino, but they are local to me and I occasionally swing by for a Growler fill. Other than that, they have Bombers, but I don't think they have much of a distribution chain.
If it's brewed commercially in VA...it's available at VA Total Wine stores!

Next up: The Hops of Wrath (DIPA)
Primary: Amber Rain (Dry Hopped Spring Amber Ale)
Secondary:
Bottle Conditioning: Spring '14 Kolsch, Swamp Monkey Belgian Golden Strong, Vienna Lager

Old 02-19-2013, 08:48 PM   #17
ajdelange
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 453 Times on 372 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by abandonhope16 View Post
Actually they are across the street but close enough.

Old 02-19-2013, 09:14 PM   #18
CBMbrewer
Recipes 

Liked 60 Times on 52 Posts
Likes Given: 10

As has been said, the Charlottesville area alone has six breweries:
Starr Hill
Blue Mountain
Wild Wolf
Devils backbone
South Street
Champion

Starr Hill is pretty awful. I worked there for quite some time but will only drink there double IPA. But all there other beers are crap, IMO. Especially northern lights and dark star.

Blue mountain is a great brewery to visit. They grow there own hops, make great pizza and have a great set up outside with a wonderful view of the mountains. There APA is quite tasty but I have never been impressed with much of their other brews except the local species, a barrel aged belgian.

Wild wolf is pretty knew but they have a really great brewery site with a hot sauce bar, playground for the kids, separate buildings for the bar/restaurant and brewery with a few little shops on premises including a home brew shop. Their honey blonde is on tap everywhere and is pretty good; my favorite from them. I was disappointed with their DIPA but their APA is decent. They also make their own root beer.

Devils backbone is probably the biggest out of all of them and has won a bunch of awards. Personally I don't really like there Vienna but people seem to rave about it. They did a special release of a double IPA called 16 point (their pale is called 8 point). The DIPA was awesome but disappeared very quickly.

South street has been around for a long time and are still holding it true with what is basically a brewpub. Unfortunately I haven't had too much of their stuff but they did do a braggot last summer that was really good. Almost in mead territory yet pretty hoppy.

Champion only opened about three months ago but already have quite the following in the area. Everything I have had from them has been good; especially their Berliner Weiss and porter. still need to try their RIS and DIPA. They do alooot of collaborations with virginia breweries which is good for all involved.

Outside of Charlottesville, Legand and Breckenridge are solid breweries. Legend does a barley wine that is out of this world. Had the 2010 release straight from the fermentor; blew my mind away.

Hope this helps.

Happiness is in the eye of the beer holder

Old 02-28-2013, 03:44 AM   #19
gauvinej
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

If your family hasn't come to visit yet you should have them grab some Port City as well. As others have said Devil's Backbone makes some amazing beer! These are two of my favorite breweries in VA.

Quick Reply