Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Best Beer Magazine....

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-28-2009, 12:54 PM   #21
Homercidal
HBT_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 2019 Times on 1451 Posts
Likes Given: 1106

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_bird View Post
I got a freebie subscription to Draft, I wouldn't pay for it. It's pretty to look at, but not much substance. Like, an article about the hop shortage MONTHS after it was news (article came out almost exactly at the time we could start buying hops again).
I agree, but the pictures are very nice and the articles are still pretty good IMO. I've only checked out one issue, and they have articles on plenty of craft beer and foreign beers that I don't get much info on elsewhere.

I'm a sucker for nice pictures. Must be ingrained from years of looking at my dads hidden stash...

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-28-2009, 01:08 PM   #22
Rhoobarb

Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 2

If you're talking homebrewing mags, Zymurgy and BYO are both good, but I think BYO now edges out. If you're talking beer mags, I really like All About Beer, especially after the redesign they did ~ a year ago. In fact, I need to renew my subscription this week. Draft and Beer were like Maxim to me, and I don't care for Maxim - what's the point? Buy Playboy or just cruise the Internet for more titillating eye candy, if that's what you're looking for!

Old 05-28-2009, 01:45 PM   #23
SmugMug
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Picked up a copy of Beer Mag the other night and it was like a Maxim for beer. Pretty pictures, some half-naked women and a few articles on homebrewing. I particularly liked the articles on new drinking games. I'll never play them, but it took me back to my college days of beer pong and Presidents and A**holes.

BYO is the best mag I can find on the newstands. Haven't found a Zymurgy here yet.

-------------------------------------------------------------------
Poor planning on your part doesn't necessitate an emergency on mine.

Beer: Is there anything it can't do?

Old 05-28-2009, 04:26 PM   #24
Arkador
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 10

I like BYO

Old 05-28-2009, 04:33 PM   #25
Tonedef131
Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Zymurgy FTW

Old 05-29-2009, 01:38 PM   #26
TheH2
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Questions about beer magazines:
Does BYO or Zymurgy have a section on commercial brews? Tasting notes of commercial styles? It is hard to tell from their respective website but both look to be completely about homebrewing, but it just seems like it is the perfect medium to also have commercial beer info.

I guess Zymurgy is good because it means getting a membership to AHA, which has to be a good thing, right?

Zymurgy gets huge props on the name. I had to google it to realize how great the name was.

Quick Reply