The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Best beer blend.....

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-19-2011, 12:25 PM   #1
trevorc13
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Default Best beer blend.....

Take a splash of Oskar Blues TenFidy and blend it with a can of Gubna. Like a hella awesome black IPA!!!! The smoke of the TenFidy complements the hops of the Gubna so well. Plus, after you finish this beer, you still have a full can of TenFidy to drink!

I've never blended beers before, and of course, I found the most expensive beers to blend. Well worth it. Any other beers out there that are good to blend? To make this homebrew related....what good beers are out there to blend while making beer?

Thanks for the input

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-19-2011, 12:40 PM   #2
StrikeThree
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

1/2 Youngs Double Chocolate Stout, 1/2 Abita Purple Haze, black & tan style!

Old 02-19-2011, 12:57 PM   #3
ArcaneXor
Recipes 

Liked 68 Times on 66 Posts
Likes Given: 10

I blend beers all the time - it's fun to play with. For instance, right now I have an English brown that ended up being way too estery thanks to the Yorkshire yeast and probably too much calcium carbonate. So I am blending it with a little bit of a very oaky pale ale in the serving glass which balances the sweetness and makes for a beer that it superior than either of its constituents. I find that wood-aged, smoked and sour beers are great for blending because the character they impart is so pronounced.

Secondary: Orange Blossom Mead, Flanders Red I
Kegged: Centennial Falcon w/ Conan, Centennial Falcon w/ Denny's, Barrel-aged Fat Man Porter, Belgian Dark Strong, Huell Melon Pale Ale
Bottled: Flanders Red I

Old 02-19-2011, 01:14 PM   #4
Zamial
Recipes 

Liked 166 Times on 148 Posts
Likes Given: 7

3/4 Youngs Double Chocolate Stout + 1/4 Kasteel Rouge - chocolate covered cherry. SWMBO REALLY like these...I would suggest starting with less cherry and add it to taste.

I do not mix beers unless it is a Black and Tan and I only have those on St. Pats...I would rather enjoy the beer as is and then have a different one.

Old 02-19-2011, 01:39 PM   #5
kingmatt
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 3 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Southern Tier makes a beer that is 50% Unearthly Imperial IPA and 50% Hoppe Imperial Extra Pale called Gemini...it is fantastic.

Secondary 2: Rye IPA
Kegged: Watermelon Wheat, Habanero IPA
Bottled: Peanut butter banana porter
On Deck: Toasted Blonde, Raging Bitch Clone, 100% Brett IPA
-=My Keezer Build=-

Old 02-19-2011, 04:20 PM   #6
rhoadsrage
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

Sierra Nevada Grand Cru is Bigfoot, Celebration and SNPA blended in one and you can really taste characters from all 3 beers.

I quite often blend my bland homebrew with a shot of whatever I have on hand. Bourbon, vermouth, cherry brandy, red wine vinegar. Just to see what it taste like.

My candle burns at both ends; it will not last the night; but ah, my foes and oh, my friends it gives a lovely light. Edna st. Vincent

Old 02-19-2011, 04:25 PM   #7
bwomp313
Recipes 

Liked 26 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 28

stone lucky bastard is a pretty good blend. double bastard, arrogant bastard and oaked arrogant bastard

Old 02-19-2011, 05:04 PM   #8
cheier
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I did a blend of DFH 90 minute (and another with 60) with my homebrew oatmeal stout. Both were great, but what I found is that while my wife neither like DFH 60/90 minute IPA or my oatmeal stout (which both rock on their own BTW), she loved the 50/50 mix of the two. Essentially made a nice black IPA. I may have to dedicate a keg to that when I do my clone DFH 90m and possibly another batch of oatmeal stout.

Old 02-19-2011, 05:04 PM   #9
SkinnyShamrock
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

We Troegs types blend Dreamweaver and Mad Elf (around the holidays when Elf is available) and make Mad Dreams.

Jeff, Brewer, Troegs Brewing Company, Harrisburg, PA

"RDWHAHB, right?"
"No, just do it right, damnit!"

Old 02-19-2011, 05:15 PM   #10
phuzle
Recipes 

Generally when I get drunk I start mixing things, and usually love them.

For example, when I was at Bells for their all stouts day in december, I had them mix Expedition and Double Cream, which is a combination they mix and barrel age but I've never seen on tap. It was delicious. I've also mixed Expedition with their Cherry stout. I know I've had more mixed Bells stuff, but like I said I'm usually drunk when it happens so I can't tell more stories of success.

I also mix my own beers. I have a black IPA and a sweet stout, sometimes I'll mix just a splash of the stout with the BIPA to make an even roastier, heavier BIPA. I haven't done too much of the black and tan concept, keep them from actually mixing. I've got a sour batch going, I'm excited to try blending that with everything else I have when its done in 9 or 12 months.

Quick Reply