Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Best Beer Bars in America

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-05-2005, 09:57 PM   #21
Toilet Rocker
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 3

That joint in DC sounds sweet, but I think that the "BEST beer bar" would have to be based on certain factors. Of course selection is nice if you're going to travel down the exotic list, but the place also needs atmosphere, comfort, darts or pool (if you play), etc. Selection is important, but it isn't everything. That said, I need to schedule a road trip to DC to check the joint out.

When people ask what I do for a living, I say I brew beer. No, not as a profession, but to live.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-07-2005, 07:49 PM   #22
Cheesefood
Recipes 

Liked 33 Times on 22 Posts

Brew Bars
Ram - Schaumburg, IL
Goose Island - Chicago, IL
The Assembly - Hoffman Estates, IL

The Assembly is now one of my favorites. They have fantastic food and really really good beer.

Real Bars
Red Star - Glenview, IL
The Lumpy Pickle - Joliet, IL
The Curragh - Schaumburg, IL
The Stadium - Rolling Meadows, IL

The Curragh is one of those truly authentic "everything from Ireland" bars. Meaning that the food is terrible, but the ambience is almost stiffling.

I'm into dive bars really. I like an empty, dirty bar over a chic club. Red Star is the only treny bar on my list because they have some 200+ beers on tap. Their beer menu is at least double the size of their food menu. Apart from the 200 on draught, they have hundreds in the bottle.

The Lumpy Pickle is just a local dive that I hung out at when I lived in Joliet. They had hundreds of bottled beers and one of those "100 beer" clubs where you'd get your pic on the wall for drinking 100 different types. Most tasted like hell.

Now, The Stadium is a great place. They have the 100 beer club, but best of all they have Monster Mugs of beer. These are 36 ounce mugs of beer that cost $3.25 for a domestic. They also have dozens of micro-brews on tap and good, cheap food. The downside is that it's Lung Cancer-riffic inside. Everyone's smoking and there's no ventillation. It's greasy and dirty and dark. Sometimes they have Karaoke, sometimes they have wrestling on the TV's. They have NTN and a couple of big screens.

Fun times, fun bars.

Old 08-12-2005, 06:28 PM   #23
ScottD13
Recipes 

The Sunset Grill & Tap on the Boston/Allston border in Mass.

Hundreds of beers in bottles and last time I was there over 125 taps!

And the wings rock to boot!

Old 08-13-2005, 12:05 AM   #24
Wayne Havens
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaelone
That joint in DC sounds sweet, but I think that the "BEST beer bar" would have to be based on certain factors. Of course selection is nice if you're going to travel down the exotic list, but the place also needs atmosphere, comfort, darts or pool (if you play), etc. Selection is important, but it isn't everything. That said, I need to schedule a road trip to DC to check the joint out.
The place has a great atmosphere. No darts or pool, but then again you go there for the beer.

Wayne Havens
www.waynehavens.com
Drinking-Allagash Belgian Tripple, Victory's Golden Monkey, Sierra Nevada Porter

Old 08-17-2005, 08:28 AM   #25
Brewsmith

Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 29 Posts

The Yard House is a chain of restaurants, mostly in Southern California that have at least 130 different beers on tap. The original in Long Beach has a selection of 250! It's a full restaurant, not a pub, but as far as selection you can't beat it.

Old 08-25-2005, 08:15 PM   #26
Toilet Rocker

Recipes 

250 beer taps and they have space for a kitchen?

When people ask what I do for a living, I say I brew beer. No, not as a profession, but to live.

Old 09-15-2005, 12:26 PM   #27
Ohbee
Recipes 

Phantom Canyon Brewing in Colorado Springs Great Beer, Great Atmosphere, and Pool.
Old Chicago's LOTS of bottled and draft Beer. They have Pool Also.

Old 09-20-2005, 09:53 PM   #28
SuperBrew
Recipes 

Two of my favs:
Boston Beer Works http://www.beerworks.net/html/locations_fenway.html- Its next to Fenway Park which is spectacular by itself, but they also brew I think over 25 different varities of beer at a time with many seasonal offerings as well. I was there 2 weeks ago and their Pumpkinhead Ale is one of my alltime fall favorites.

BAR http://www.niteimage.com/clubs/BAR/- New Haven CT. This place is broken up into several rooms, and has some great brickoven pizza. The downside is that one of the rooms towards the back is also a nightclub, and I despise the club scene. They offer 4 beers brewed in the establishment, which isn't many, but the stout is out of this world good (Its called Damn Good Stout). In fact the only reason I put this place on the list is because when I lived in New Haven I spent every thursday night there because they offered dollar pints until 11:30 PM and I couldn't get enough of their Damn Good Stout.

Bottled: Cottage Coffee Stout
Bottled: SuperBrew's Redheaded Stepchild
Bottled: Gingerbread Ale
Drinking: Most anything
Thinking of: Apricot IPA

Old 09-20-2005, 10:04 PM   #29
Toilet Rocker

Recipes 

SuperBrew--I read about Beer Works' peanut butter porter. Did they have it when you visited? Dying to try this potential masterpiece.

Old 09-21-2005, 01:27 AM   #30
SuperBrew
Recipes 

Its wierd that you mention that but when I was up there 2 weeks ago in my head I was kicking around an idea to make a peanut butter brew, but no they didn't have any then. If they did I would have been all over it, all I had then was pumkinhead ale and victory red ale. I'm actually supposed to be up that way in another few weeks and I will definately be on the lookout for that peanut butter porter and I will let you know how it is.

Bottled: Cottage Coffee Stout
Bottled: SuperBrew's Redheaded Stepchild
Bottled: Gingerbread Ale
Drinking: Most anything
Thinking of: Apricot IPA

Quick Reply