Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Best Beer Bars in America

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-15-2008, 02:19 PM   #91
virginiahomebrew
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

The Bier Garden in Portsmouth, VA sports a beer menu of over 300 selections and has one of the most educated bar/waitstaff of any place I've ever been. (Not to mention pretty good Bavarian food)

The Bier Garden - Portsmouth, VA

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-09-2008, 12:29 AM   #92
dataz722
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 3002 Times on 2955 Posts
Likes Given: 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orpheus View Post
I went to the Brickskeller for my bachelor party. Sad that I'd rather sample beer than see naked women dancing around a pole...
Haha... I feel ya. From the very begining I said i didnt want to go to a strip club for my bachelor party. I wanted to money to be spent to get better beer a liquor. I actually went to Victory brewing for mine. It was great there.

My list would be:
Brickskeller in DC just because of their amazing selection

Monk's Cafe in philly because I believe it has the largest selection of belgian beer in the country. (just a side note but I read that the city of philadelphia is considered to be the belgian beer capitol of the WORLD. They actually drink more belgian beer than brussels)

Victory Brewing just outside of philly- They have completly renovated the entire place. It is has a huge dining room with great food and amazing beer. There tour is only decent at best but everything else makes up for it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randar View Post
I was wrong

Old 10-09-2008, 03:18 AM   #93
BrianTheBrewer
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Well im from Boston so there are a few...

Boston Beer Works right acorss the street from Fenway park is great.
I love the look on peoples faces that walk in there and find out they they dont serve hard booze and only have their own beer on tap. Food is very good and usually have 10-12 great beers on tap. There are 3 Boston Beer Works in MA, one is across from the Boston Garden, one in Salem MA, and the new one is in Lowell MA.

Cambridge Brewing Company is very well known arouns the Boston area.
Just like the Beer Works, and the food is also great.

We have a few John Harvard's in MA. Yes they are a chain but do have some good beer and food.

There are a ton more in and around Boston and MA.
If you are looking for a place that has over 112 beers on tap and 380 microbrews and bottles from around the world then Sunset Grill & Tap in Allston MA is the place to check out. index

"Good people drink good beer" - Hunter S. Thompson

http://brianthebrewer.blogspot.com
http://twitter.com/BrianTheBrewer
http://www.chugsd.com
http://www.quaff.org/

Old 10-15-2008, 03:45 AM   #94
samadamsfan
Recipes 

PATTON ALLEY PUB, Springfeild MO
probably the best selection in my area

Old 02-26-2009, 07:04 AM   #95
SumnerH
Recipes 

Liked 26 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Definitely_NOT_dataz722 View Post
Brickskeller in DC just because of their amazing selection
Mentioned a lot in this thread, and they are very good, but they're not even in the running for best in the country. Their list is huge but they're often out of the first 3-4 things I order, and service tends toward the slow side. They've finally expanded from a meager 2 taps to 12, but the selection's never been as interesting as at RFD or elsewhere in the area.

I can think of 4 places just in the DC area where I'd rather go for a beer:

Rustico, Alexandria: 50 beers on tap, 5 cask-conditioned ales, 500+ bottles, they have a beer steward to do beer pairings with your meal, and good food. Noisier atmosphere during peak hours is the main drawback.
RFD Drafthouse, DC: Same owners as Brickskeller, 30 taps and one cask-conditioned pump. At most one BMC among the taps, so a great selection of fresh draught beer.
Bilbo Baggins, Alexandria: 10 taps, all with interesting stuff (no BMC at all), plus a decent selection of bottles (20+ Belgians, for instance, maybe 50-70 in total but a pretty neat selection) and I've not had anything out of stock when ordering. Plus 180+ wines if you have mixed company.
For bottles only:
Lost Dog Cafe, Arlington: Great sandwiches. There's a 3 beer limit per customer--but all of their (400+) beers are available to go in 6 packs (or however they're packaged). A great place to have dinner, try 3 things you've never had, and pick up whatever you like.

But back to the main question, IMO the best beer bar in the country is the Great Lost Bear in Portland, ME. 60+ taps, 4 cask-conditioned pumps (including Allagash Confluence currently!), great food, and great atmosphere. There's a focus on local stuff and Belgians, but with that many taps there's plenty of room for Dogfish 90, Rogue Yellow Snow, Stone Double Bastard, Brooklyn Savoir Faire, etc.

On deck: Little Bo Pils, Bretta Off Dead (Brett pale)
Secondary: Oude Bruin, Red Sky at Morning (Sour brown ale)
On tap: Saison Duphunk (sour), Amarillo Slim (IPA), Earl White (ginger/bergamot wit)
Bottled: Number 8 (Belgian Strong Dark Ale), Eternale (Barleywine), Ancho Villa (Ancho/pasilla/chocolate/cinnamon RIS), Oak smoked porter (1/2 maple bourbon oaked, 1/2 apple brandy oaked)

Old 02-26-2009, 08:08 AM   #96
DeathBrewer
Maniacally Malty
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 214 Times on 119 Posts

Toronado is pretty badass but there are a ton of great beer bars in the Bay Area.

The Monk's Kettle - Good little beer bar/restaurant in San Francisco. Beer of every style...the online list is updated regularly. Get there early if you want a seat, otherwise just get on the waiting list and crowd your way into the bar.

City Beer - Tasting bar in San Francisco. Anything you could possibly want in a bottle (room or cold) and a few local beers on tap. I always buy a couple cases of room temp bottles to age and drink at home.

Speisekammer - Fantastic German Restaurant and Bar in Alameda. I usually go there with groups of about 12 and we all get hammered on liter mugs of Köstritzer and Franziskaner. Try their specials...their goose was one of the greatest meals of my life. (The regular meals are awesome, as well.)

Cato's Ale House - Two blocks from my apartment in Oakland. I love it when they have the Twist of Fate on Cask. Great pizza, sandwiches and burgers. Usually kinda crowded until you can snag a good seat.

The Trappist - Oakland's best. Absolutely crazy belgian beer selection. Check out what they have on tap and in bottles. I went there one night and drank nothing but the wits and blondes and never had the same beer twice. That was a great night. Gotta be careful with those big beers, tho

Triple Rock Brewery - Great brewpub in Berkeley. Decent burgers and excellent beer made on site with their great little setup. Thursday is Monkey Head nights. I used to go there after night classes. Get stamps from drinking ten 1L bottles and they let you take home the bottle and a T-shirt. I have 3 T-shirts and gave many more away (the girls shirts were 2 cards!)

Cafe Biere - Tiny little place in Oakland. Friend of a friend works there and makes food that's to die for. Grand Belgian and domestic beer selection and a local feel.

The Warehouse Cafe - Beat up old building in Vallejo. In the middle of nowhere you get an insane selection of beers and you drink next to a stuffed polar bear. I can never remember what wonderful beers I have there because I get so obliterated

I think that's it. You guys let me know if I forgot anything

"Death is always with us." - Brewpastor

Quote:
DIAICYLF
We will remember...

Old 03-14-2009, 05:04 AM   #97
jtf207
Recipes 

My 2 Cents

Eulogy - Great Belgian and International selection located in Old City Philadelphia.

Max's Taphouse - Excellent all around selection located in Fells Point, Baltimore, MD. Also host a Belgian and other great festivals throughout the year.

Flying Saucer - They have a good dozen locations, have been to the ones in Nashville and Memphis, VERY large draft selection and a fun atmosphere.

Wharf Rat - In Fells Point, Baltimore, MD. Limited selection of house made brews, but probably the best old school tavern look and feel, as though you went back in time to the 1800s.

Old 03-14-2009, 11:20 PM   #98
kage
Recipes 

Default 99 Bottles of Beer in Santa Cruz

Hi there, new here but I though I'd mention 99 Bottles of Beer in Santa Cruz. over forty beers on tap and I think way over a hundred in all.
They also have the nifty feature of posting your name on the wall after you finish 99 different specified beers. Not at one time, you fill out a card. Some have have filled out 50 (fifty) cards. Reasonably tasty food and not too loud.

Old 03-15-2009, 02:31 PM   #99
MagicLarry
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Uncle Eddy's, Salisbury Beach,MA. Complete with ACDC cover bands. Just a great place to drink.

Old 03-15-2009, 04:00 PM   #100
Chello
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

The Brick Store - Decatur,GA

"Retail is for suckers."

Quick Reply