Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Belma Hops

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-26-2013, 11:37 AM   #461
AnOldUR
fer-men-TAY-shuhn
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 535 Times on 390 Posts
Likes Given: 407

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewerelated View Post
What do you taste in those beers with Belma? Do you taste diacetyl?
More strangeness there. The worst offender was the Belma Amber Ale. I bottled a six from a keg a couple of months ago for the competion after rushing the carbonation. (No shaking, just bumped the pressure for a day or so.) I have been serving from the keg with no reports of diacetyl. Last night I opened one of those original bottles. Yup, it's a D bomb, but the keg is fine.

Quote:
I haven't noticed any diacetyl like flavors in any beers that I have made with Belma . . .
Yeah. I'm just frustrated and grasping at straws. I'll have to place the blame on something in my process. I fermented on the cool side and all of these beers were cold crashed. I normally only D-rest before crashing for specific yeast strains that I feel need it. From now on, I'll add a D-rest before crashing, regardless of the strain.

Since nobody else has had the diacetyl problem, Belma's off the hook. Thanks for the replys.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-26-2013, 01:11 PM   #462
FATC1TY
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 127 Times on 107 Posts
Likes Given: 25

Hate to hear about the diacetly issues. I have used Belma a bit, and haven't found any of it, and I'm pretty sensetive to it.

----------
Bubba's Backyard Brewery

Old 02-26-2013, 05:50 PM   #463
one-L
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 85 Times on 67 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Agreed on Belma not being the case if you're getting the classic strong movie butter popcorn kind of flavor. Maybe they caught a bug at bottling? Nov/Dec 2012 edition of Zymurgy has a good article about beer spoilage organisms and notes that some strains of pedio can cause big diacetyl flavors. How are you bottling out of keg? I have yet to work out a good method for this. I will typically just drop pressure on keg and fill straight from tap if I am filling a growler, and I have done bottles this way also with ok results, but I just got a good look at my tap the other day and its due for a serious breakdown and cleaning, so probably time to throw together a Biermuncher ugly junk bottle filler.

Old 02-26-2013, 06:20 PM   #464
FATC1TY
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 127 Times on 107 Posts
Likes Given: 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by one-L View Post
Agreed on Belma not being the case if you're getting the classic strong movie butter popcorn kind of flavor. Maybe they caught a bug at bottling? Nov/Dec 2012 edition of Zymurgy has a good article about beer spoilage organisms and notes that some strains of pedio can cause big diacetyl flavors. How are you bottling out of keg? I have yet to work out a good method for this. I will typically just drop pressure on keg and fill straight from tap if I am filling a growler, and I have done bottles this way also with ok results, but I just got a good look at my tap the other day and its due for a serious breakdown and cleaning, so probably time to throw together a Biermuncher ugly junk bottle filler.
I fill from a cobra tap. 5 ft lines, a cut off siphon tube inside the cobra tap end. I drop the pressure on the keg to 5-7 psi, and fill it, making sure I don't throttle the tap at all to foam. Fills growlers and bottles easy. Normally I fill growlers like that from the bottom, and cap on foam. I've had them keep in the growlers for over 2 weeks even. Forgot I took one to someones house, drank 2/3 of it, and had 1/3 left, and opened it. It was still carbed and good. YMMV.

Anyways- Topic wise.. Has anyone dry hopped a Saison with Belma?

I added like an ounce late in the boil, with some Nelson Sauvin in a nice simple saison. Figured the berry note would go well with the sweet berry note of the golden naked oats in there. Decided to dry hop it with some Belma leaf for a week, been in there for 3 days now.

----------
Bubba's Backyard Brewery

Old 02-26-2013, 08:31 PM   #465
TNGabe
Feedback Score: 16 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2148 Times on 1454 Posts
Likes Given: 2110

I've dry hopped three saisons with Belma. The first two were a split 10 gallon batch, only difference being the dry hop - one all belma and the other bema/saaz/strisselspalt. I like the 2nd one better, not that either is bad.

The third is a stronger saison with an oz belma at 60, oz nelson at 0 and oz citra, 1/2oz nelson, 1/2 oz belma dry hop. Nice beer. I prefer belma in a combo and if it were mine, I'd probably toss some more nelson in there, but maybe just your late nelson will be great.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FATC1TY View Post

Anyways- Topic wise.. Has anyone dry hopped a Saison with Belma?

I added like an ounce late in the boil, with some Nelson Sauvin in a nice simple saison. Figured the berry note would go well with the sweet berry note of the golden naked oats in there. Decided to dry hop it with some Belma leaf for a week, been in there for 3 days now.

Brew as I say, not as I brew.

Old 02-26-2013, 08:45 PM   #466
eulipion2
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 34 Times on 32 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I posted in the Recipes section about a Belma session saison, but no responses so far, but I'm looking to do a 3.4% ABV saison with Belma and Strisselspalt. I used Strisselspalt for a similar recipe last year with Styrian Goldings, but I recently read that it can have a black currant flavor (never noticed before) which would (hopefully) pair well with Belma.

Anyone tried Belma with Strisselspalt?

EDIT: Sorry TNGABE, I really need to pay better attention. Belma and Strisselspalt work nice together with Saaz, but have you tried them without the Saaz?

On-Deck: Quad; Oktoberfest; Mild

Primary: Mosaic pilsner; Saison Americaine; Tripel

Kegged: Fir tip Maibock; Session IPA; Apple cider; Adventures in Homebrewing's Black Prinz Stout

Bottled: Session Saison; Grodziskie; "Clean Out the Freezer" IPA; Belma/Strisselspalt Session Saison; Coffee Saison

Last edited by eulipion2; 02-26-2013 at 08:49 PM. Reason: really not paying attention.

Old 02-27-2013, 07:55 PM   #467
AgentHubcap
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 30 Times on 25 Posts
Likes Given: 23

Anyone see a difference between leaf and pellet? The pellets have a lower AA % (not sure if this is normal, I normally only use leaf hops)

Primary: McPoyle IIPA, Red-x/Amarillo SMaSH
On Deck: Eau Rouge
On Tap: McPoyle IIPA, Samsquanch RIS, Calypso SMaSH, Regal Pale Ale

Old 02-27-2013, 09:43 PM   #468
kpr121
Recipes 

Liked 59 Times on 56 Posts
Likes Given: 57

I don’t see a difference in this variety specifically (I only bought leaf), but its fairly common for leaf/pellet to have different AA%. Sometimes they are taken from different parts of the field, different farms, different processors, etc.

Bottled:
Bulk Aging:
Up Next: ???? Suggestions?

Old 03-01-2013, 05:46 AM   #469
brewerelated
Recipes 

Liked 59 Times on 47 Posts
Likes Given: 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by AgentHubcap View Post
Anyone see a difference between leaf and pellet? The pellets have a lower AA % (not sure if this is normal, I normally only use leaf hops)
I don't work on a hop farm so I can't speak from firsthand experience, but I have read that sometimes older leaf hops will get converted to pellet hops. Especially if the supplier sees that the pellet hops are in higher demand. As the hops age they lose alpha acids. Therefore this might explain why some pellet hops might have lower AA than some leaf hops of the same variety. I am not saying that this is in fact what is happening in this case, but it could apply to some cases.

Old 03-01-2013, 05:49 AM   #470
TNGabe
Feedback Score: 16 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2148 Times on 1454 Posts
Likes Given: 2110

Quote:
I don't work on a hop farm so I can't speak from firsthand experience, but I have read that sometimes older leaf hops will get converted to pellet hops. Especially if the supplier sees that the pellet hops are in higher demand. As the hops age they lose alpha acids. Therefore this might explain why some pellet hops might have lower AA than some leaf hops of the same variety. I am not saying that this is in fact what is happening in this case, but it could apply to some cases.
As this is the first year this hop was harvested, probably not the case here.

Brew as I say, not as I brew.

Quick Reply