Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Belma Hops

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-12-2012, 03:09 PM   #281
FATC1TY
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 128 Times on 108 Posts
Likes Given: 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by conneryis007 View Post
Tried my all Belma pale ale tonight for the first time and I am not a fan of Belma! Tastes like grass covered strawberries and the smell is just not right. Too bad, the rest of the beer came out well!
That sucks..

Sounds like Belma needs a partner in crime to really mingle well.

----------
Bubba's Backyard Brewery

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-12-2012, 03:44 PM   #282
eulipion2
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 34 Times on 32 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Smoked Belma IPA: in bottle 1 week. Tastes like a smoked beer with just enough bitterness to balance, but despite 3 oz Belma in dry-hop, very little aroma, which may or may not come from the Briess cherrywood smoked malt. Tasty brew nonetheless. Just not a smoked IPA. More of a slightly bitter, slightly fruity rauchbier. I'm hoping that as this matures the Belma comes out a little more, but I doubt it will.

On-Deck: BierMuncher's OktoberFAST Ale; Bacon488's Mild

Primary: Quad; Emmdub23's Belma Stout

Kegged: Mosaic pilsner; Fir tip Maibock; Session IPA; Apple cider;

Bottled: Saison Americain; Tripel; Session Saison; Grodziskie; Belma/Strisselspalt Session Saison; Coffee Saison

Old 12-12-2012, 03:48 PM   #283
AnOldUR
fer-men-TAY-shuhn
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 546 Times on 398 Posts
Likes Given: 420

Could be that we're so accustom to the C hops and their Pacific Northwest cousins that anything out of the ordinary doesn't work anymore in our APA and IPA's. Racked my all Belma for dry hopping last weekend. Carbed up and chilled about a half gallon to sample. I recognized the flavor, but couldn't put my finger on it. Kind of a citrus fruit but mostly just the zest. Definitely not grassy. Very different, but in a good way. Looking forward to getting this kegged so that I can get a handle on what I tasted.

That's the nature of being competitive. You find yourself wanting validation from more objective sources then your own ego.
Josiah2729 Likes This 
Old 12-12-2012, 04:08 PM   #284
allenH
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 5 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 2098 Times on 1169 Posts
Likes Given: 997

I dry hopped my Nelson Sauvin/Belma Rye Pale ale on Monday. Maybe it was because they came straight out of the freezer, my Belma leaf smelled very grassy. I don't remember them smelling this grassy before, maybe it's just you guys getting into my head. I might have to change the name from Nelson Belma Rye to Nelson Bahia Rye.

Old 12-12-2012, 05:10 PM   #285
FourSeasonAngler
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 53 Times on 32 Posts
Likes Given: 176

I made a 10 gallon spin-off of Jamil's West Coast Blaster recipe using Magnum to bitter, aroma/flavored with equal weights of Belma/Cascade. My thoughts were to see what an atypical red/amber ale would do for the expected citrus/fruit qualities of a Belma/Cascade combo and two yeasts known to impart fruity yet different esters/phenols.

5 gallons I fermented with Wyeast 3522 Belgian Ardiennes, in the other carboy I fermented with Wyeast 1968 London ESB.

Both pitched at 65F, fermented at 65F for 2 weeks in primary, 10 days in secondary, and both dry hopped in secondary with 2oz Belma leaf, 2oz Cascade leaf, and 1 oz Citra pellet (each).

OG on both was 1.068. The 3522 went down to 1.007 and the 1968 hit 1.010.

Tasting notes after 3 weeks in bottle:

Appearance:
3522 - Pours deep mahogany brown cascading well and leaving a nice thick 1 inch dense head of off-white foam that you can damn near rest a penny on. Looks dark brown, but when looked through towards light shows very clear and deep burgundy. No haze.
1968 - Pours brown with good cascading and only a 1/2 to 3/4 inch thick layer of creamy off-white fluffy head. Almost as dense as 3522, but slightly thinner. Haze is apparent, but still shows through deep red/brown up to light.

Aroma:
3522 - Aroma wafts up from the glass at pour, strong berry/citrus notes. Nose in snifter confirms a very strong and predominant sweet berry with a classic cascade twist and some earthy floral on the backend. Some malty undertones but the berry sweetness/earthy may be deceiving me here. Very clean hop aromas with no yeast, spice, or "funk" detected.
1968 - Same aroma wafting from the snifter, strong berry, maybe a little sweeter. Cascade citrus/floral may be muted slightly by the berry, and no earthy tones. Some yeasty element detected, reminds me of a hefe or weis component, almost a bready smell.

Taste:
3522 - Instant sweet grapefruit and berry rush as the liquid touches lips, and soon gives way to a soft bitterness and smooth light malt background. Beers color does not match perceived taste, as this drinks much lighter than it looks. After taste is slightly bitter but smooth with a balanced sweetness that finishes neither dry nor sweet and almost no heat from alcohol.
1968 - Same sweet citrus berry rush and smooth bitterness behind it. There is a yeasty flavor that isn't off-putting, but it's there and actually adds another dimension to the smooth malt background. This one finishes sweeter, but being less dry helps the flavor of the hops linger rather than just the bitterness.

Mouthfeel:
3522 - Very light on the tongue, no over-carbonation tingle, just enough to stay refreshing. Almost too thin for the dark color and strong hop profile, but the sweetness of the berry-ish Belma pairs nicely with something this refreshing.
1968 - Also a light beer at first sip but a lingering creaminess that makes flavors that stay long after swallow give this beer a heavier or thicker perception. Not chewy or heavy, but not exactly refreshing either.

Overall
3522 - A very enjoyable and unique beer experience. I don't think I've ever had a hop-berry-red before, or even such a smooth drinking red. I can't keep my nose out of my glass and even find myself smelling empty bottles before I wash them out. Just a great aroma from the Cascade/Belma combo that I will definitely try to incorporate into other styles... wheat ale, APA, & maybe even a stout!
1968 - While I did not hate anything that I got from this beer I feel that whatever yeasty/haze that got pulled into the bottles left something less desirable. Aroma and tastes were great and very enjoyable, but I think another yeast variety could help bring out other malt notes that didn't seem to take away from the refreshing quality of a beer this quaffable.

I'll be brewing a Belgian Golden Strong with Belma/Cascade/Simcoe next.

Why is the home brew always gone?

bgeek Likes This 
Old 12-12-2012, 07:23 PM   #286
SixStringBeer
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Just curious about why you decided to keep the fermentation temperature on the 3522 so low for this beer? I find that strain can be pretty neutral to the point of defeating the purpose of using it without ramping up the temperature or at least under-pitching appropriately. Would have been interesting to hear how the spicey, clovey notes and the light stone fruit esters I associate with that yeast would have worked with that hop combination.

I have a website! Check it out as I slowly but surely work on going pro.

Old 12-12-2012, 07:31 PM   #287
TNGabe
Feedback Score: 16 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2151 Times on 1457 Posts
Likes Given: 2126

Quote:
Originally Posted by allenH View Post
I dry hopped my Nelson Sauvin/Belma Rye Pale ale on Monday. Maybe it was because they came straight out of the freezer, my Belma leaf smelled very grassy. I don't remember them smelling this grassy before, maybe it's just you guys getting into my head. I might have to change the name from Nelson Belma Rye to Nelson Bahia Rye.
I think Nelson/Belma is a money combo so far, although it'll be another 4 to 6 weeks before the beer I brewed with those is ready.

Why spend 5 minutes reading when you can just start another thread?

Old 12-13-2012, 01:53 AM   #288
FATC1TY
Recipes 

Liked 128 Times on 108 Posts
Likes Given: 25

So I kegged my Belma's Galaxy IPA tonight. Smelled great going into the keg.

I dry hopped with with a bit of everything I used in the boil.. Belma, Cascade and Galaxy. Roughly 3oz of hops to dry hop it with.

I'm looking forward to a week from now, and giving it a taste. I think Belma really, really gets along well with Galaxy and Cascade... GREAT combo so far.

----------
Bubba's Backyard Brewery

Old 12-13-2012, 02:23 AM   #289
porky_pine
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 116

I've had a Belgian IPA fermenting with Wyeast 3522 Belgian Ardiennes for a month and I'm gonna bottle it the day after tomorrow. It's flavored with belma, citra, cascade and amarillo with twice as much belma as the others. It fermented at 68 degrees because that's the temperature of my house. The sample I took the other day tasted like strawberry fruit with some clove and. We'll see, I kind of wish I would have brewed ten gallons and used an American Ale yeast on the other five.

Old 12-13-2012, 06:35 AM   #290
jheld00
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by porky_pine
I've had a Belgian IPA fermenting with Wyeast 3522 Belgian Ardiennes for a month and I'm gonna bottle it the day after tomorrow. It's flavored with belma, citra, cascade and amarillo with twice as much belma as the others. It fermented at 68 degrees because that's the temperature of my house. The sample I took the other day tasted like strawberry fruit with some clove and. We'll see, I kind of wish I would have brewed ten gallons and used an American Ale yeast on the other five.
I love pairing 3522 and Amarillo(in my mind they were meant for each other). I bet mixing in some Belma would be very tasty. Thanks for the idea.

Quick Reply