Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Belma Hops

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-08-2012, 02:22 AM   #271
ipazilla
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jammin View Post
interesting - it certainly is a clean bittering hop.

crazy APA you brewed there btw
I should say that as a boil hop I was disappointed as I did not get any of the flavors I mentioned until I dry hopped, the pre dh beer was definitely clean and grassy but not real fruit character came through until the dry hop, I also did this identical recipe with legacy, I will be kegging that this weekend I hope to have both on draft at one time so I can compare hops being that the rest of the ingredients are identical

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-08-2012, 04:38 AM   #272
FATC1TY
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 129 Times on 108 Posts
Likes Given: 25

I found it to have good flavor, and decent aroma before dryhopping. Mine is still in primary, and I'll leave it until maybe mid week next week before moving it.

I will say, that being kin to magnum doesn't come as a surprise. It's a fantastic bittering hop from what I've tasted. Potent, yet tosses a nice fruit element in there.

After hearing people say, "spicy", I guess I do pick that up a shade, only because of that dry twang I get from it..

----------
Bubba's Backyard Brewery

Old 12-08-2012, 12:29 PM   #273
shoreman
Recipes 

Liked 39 Times on 31 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Kegged my Belma/cascade pale ale last night after 3 weeks primary on London ale iii yeast.

Some sort of orange creamsicle coming out of it, still strawberry and a touch of tropical- no spiciness.

I dry hopped with 4 oz of wholes in the keg.

I had added 3 oz of wholes at flameout so well see. I think you need a decent amount with this hop as others have said

I split the batch and hit it with Ardennes yeast - that beer is much more subtle and not any creamsicle flavors

I'm psyched on the pale and the Belgian pale should be a great little session ale

Small Bottle Homebrew http://www.smallbottlehomebrew.com

Old 12-08-2012, 01:41 PM   #274
kpr121
Recipes 

Liked 61 Times on 58 Posts
Likes Given: 68

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoreman View Post
Kegged my Belma/cascade pale ale last night after 3 weeks primary on London ale iii yeast.

Some sort of orange creamsicle coming out of it, still strawberry and a touch of tropical- no spiciness.

I dry hopped with 4 oz of wholes in the keg.

I had added 3 oz of wholes at flameout so well see. I think you need a decent amount with this hop as others have said

I split the batch and hit it with Ardennes yeast - that beer is much more subtle and not any creamsicle flavors

I'm psyched on the pale and the Belgian pale should be a great little session ale
Dry hop with just belma or did you split with cascade?

Bottled:
Bulk Aging:
Up Next: ???? Suggestions?

Old 12-08-2012, 01:53 PM   #275
TNGabe
Feedback Score: 17 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2196 Times on 1489 Posts
Likes Given: 2224

Belma Beer Trade thread has been started. RSVP over there with suggestions for the format and timeframe.

Why spend 5 minutes reading when you can just start another thread?

Old 12-08-2012, 06:14 PM   #276
shoreman
Recipes 

Liked 39 Times on 31 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpr121

Dry hop with just belma or did you split with cascade?
All Belma - the cascade was added at about 20 min left

Small Bottle Homebrew http://www.smallbottlehomebrew.com

Old 12-09-2012, 03:14 AM   #277
Brewitt
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 70 Times on 64 Posts

Edited:
I thought I had already posted this but I guess I never hit the send button.

Finally got the Belmania IPA bottled last week. It is actually a blend of hops but more Belma than anything else. The recipe for 5 gallons is:

12 lb 2 Row
1 lb Carapilis
0.5 lb Crystal 40
0.25 lb Acidulated Malt
1 lb Glucose

2 oz Magnum 60 min
1.5 oz Belma and 0.75 oz Simcoe at 15 min and 1 min
3 oz Belma, 1.5 oz Simcoe and 1.5 oz Centennial dry hop

I put a couple ounces in the frig overnight to taste. Soft aromatic fruits followed by citrus and bitter. A tiny bit of that piney resin but not like I tasted before the dry hop. Fruitiness is more like sweet strawberries and something subtle like melon as someone mentioned earlier. Not really tropical. Really nice. The dry hop had a big influence. Can't wait til it is carbed up.

Old 12-09-2012, 06:08 PM   #278
bobbrews
Recipes 

Liked 285 Times on 243 Posts
Likes Given: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbrews View Post
Just bottled my Warrior-Citra-Belma IIPA with a relatively clean grist and London Ale 1028 yeast. 85 IBUs but smooth and dry. Dryhopped 7 days. The dryhopped help the fruity tropical flavors to pop again.

Pre-carbed sample tastes spicy, fruity, tropical, pungent, and grassy. Some pineapple, orange zest, strawberry, and freshly mowed grass in there. Completely different than a Citra-Amarillo mix, where you get more of a dominance of fruity tropical mango and lychee without any spicy peppery grass. I do not recommend Belma for dry West Coast American IIPAs, because it's just too weird of a hop flavorwise for this beer style and not very potent on the nose. I will definitely drink and enjoy all of this... but it's just not an A+ in terms of hop combo.

Bottling the same beer with American Ale yeast tomorrow. Will update with more tasting notes.
The American yeast version was the same recipe, except I used a little less Belma in the dryhop (more Citra). As expected, you get more tropical fruit. But the Belma is still obvious with its spicy wet grass, orange zest, and funky pineapple notes.

Old 12-10-2012, 02:02 AM   #279
Brewitt
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 70 Times on 64 Posts

Popped the cap on a bottle of Belmania IPA tonight. Only 6 days in the bottle. However, its carbonated and completely changed. Now it is more subtle but very nice. Citrus and bitter from the Magnum and Centennial (and I guess a bit from the Simcoe and Belma) but mild bitterness. The beer seems light (despite almost 8% ABV) and has a obviously sweet citrus aroma and a mild sweet fruity hop flavor. Definitely sweet but doesn't seem like malty sweetness, more like a ripe fruit. Really nice but surprisingly mild. However, despite the mild flavor, it packs an alcohol punch as I'm getting to the 10th ounce.

Winner but definitely needs the other hops for support.

Old 12-12-2012, 08:59 AM   #280
conneryis007
Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Tried my all Belma pale ale tonight for the first time and I am not a fan of Belma! Tastes like grass covered strawberries and the smell is just not right. Too bad, the rest of the beer came out well!

Quick Reply