Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Belma Hops

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-07-2012, 12:21 AM   #261
FATC1TY
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 129 Times on 108 Posts
Likes Given: 25

I'm down for that.. I'd love some feedback on my beers period.

----------
Bubba's Backyard Brewery

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-07-2012, 12:24 AM   #262
jammin
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 192 Times on 152 Posts
Likes Given: 129

Quote:
Originally Posted by FATC1TY View Post
I'd love some feedback on my beers period.
Absolutely!

Maybe even open it up to 1 Belma beer + whatever else good you want to share.

Old 12-07-2012, 03:11 PM   #263
Uberfess
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hernando View Post
What are the thoughts on using this in a farmhouse or saison?
This was what immediately came to my mind as well since I recently had a Saison made w/ pineapple at a local brewery...and it was amazing! Not overpowering, but definitely present. Did you make this beer?? How was it? What other hops did you use?

Old 12-07-2012, 09:20 PM   #264
FATC1TY
Recipes 

Okay, so I checked my gravity from my 'Belma's Galaxy IPA".

1.067 to 1.010, it's pretty much done. Drinking my gravity sample, I got these notes:

I decided to use Belma in all different areas, as well as using leaf and pellet.

I used leaf to FWH it as my bittering hop.

This is a great bittering hop, it lingers thoughout the sip. Smooth bittering note upfront, and has that oily lingering bitterness on the back end. I actually REALLY like that in my IPA's and this one does it well!

Aroma: I used pellets in the boil, and added them for flavor and aroma, along with some Galaxy, and a smidge of Cascade at 7 minutes to round the profile and link the two. I also used leaf at flameout.

The aroma is great, and I haven't dry hopped it yet. Smooth ripe melon, like cantaloupe, maybe a tart strawberry, overripe pineapple with lemon, orange, and a earthy, almost dry twang to it. Like eating a spring/summer fruit cup pretty much.

Taste pretty much mirrors the aroma of it, I get a dry finish on the beer, despite a 152* mash temp, and the 1.010 gravity. It's a very great balanced IPA.. One of my better hop balances that I've done. I'm really liking Belma as the bittering hop here. I can't really say the "flavor" of using it as the bittering hop helps, but I get an ultra smoother bitterness early, then it moves away for the flavor. At the finish, it dries up, and gives a really nice smooth, yet firm bitterness. I really, really like that. Lingers on my tounge for quite a while actually. You know you just drank a bitter IPA.

I'm impressed so far. I plan to dry hop with Belma leaf, and probably the last half ounce or ounce of Galaxy I have. So far, the two hops really mingle well!

7.5% ABV leaves enough residual sweetness there to really round the package out. I might enter this in a local HB comp. Used BRY-97 yeast, which is suppose to knock out hop flavor/aroma due to it's heavy flocc ability, but this didn't put a dent in the beer!

----------
Bubba's Backyard Brewery

Old 12-07-2012, 09:32 PM   #265
TNGabe
Feedback Score: 16 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2166 Times on 1464 Posts
Likes Given: 2138

Ditto FATC1TY on the bittering and aroma.

On the swap - what have decided? Ship 3, get 3? Limit on participants? Any style/ingredients, just has to have some Belma in it? When are we aiming to ship? Mid January or sooner? Is it just me, Jammin, and FAT so far? Sixstring, not sure on shipping to Canada, sounds spendy. Hopefully you've got a few interested countrymen on here.

Why spend 5 minutes reading when you can just start another thread?

Old 12-07-2012, 10:27 PM   #266
FATC1TY
Recipes 

I'd say we get enough people together, maybe shoot for Feb time frame, let the holiday move in and out and people can brew, and bottle and get an idea of what to make.

Belma has to be the predominant hop in the mix, but can be used with other hops I think. No need to do SMASH Belma beers!

----------
Bubba's Backyard Brewery

Old 12-08-2012, 12:30 AM   #267
bobbrews
Recipes 

Liked 281 Times on 242 Posts
Likes Given: 18

Just bottled my Warrior-Citra-Belma IIPA with a relatively clean grist and London Ale 1028 yeast. 85 IBUs but smooth and dry. Dryhopped 7 days. The dryhopped help the fruity tropical flavors to pop again.

Pre-carbed sample tastes spicy, fruity, tropical, pungent, and grassy. Some pineapple, orange zest, strawberry, and freshly mowed grass in there. Completely different than a Citra-Amarillo mix, where you get more of a dominance of fruity tropical mango and lychee without any spicy peppery grass. I do not recommend Belma for dry West Coast American IIPAs, because it's just too weird of a hop flavorwise for this beer style and not very potent on the nose. I will definitely drink and enjoy all of this... but it's just not an A+ in terms of hop combo.

Bottling the same beer with American Ale yeast tomorrow. Will update with more tasting notes.

Old 12-08-2012, 12:44 AM   #268
ipazilla
Recipes 

10# 2 row
.5# victory malt
.5# crystal 10
6oz belma @10
5oz belma dry hop 5 days
S05

Delicious, fruity/grassy aroma with a tropical melon and pineapple taste I really like this hop very much. It has some elements of citra and I even got some simcoesque cat piss. According to hops direct it's parents are magnum and kitamidori which are both high alpha bittering and not really intended for aroma so it is interesting to see that it tastes quite fruity and flavorful as opposed to clean or just grassy which I was expecting when I learned the lineage.

Old 12-08-2012, 12:45 AM   #269
ipazilla
Recipes 

Pardon my grammar I'm on my phone.

Old 12-08-2012, 12:46 AM   #270
jammin
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 192 Times on 152 Posts
Likes Given: 129

Quote:
Originally Posted by ipazilla View Post
10# 2 row
.5# victory malt
.5# crystal 10
6oz belma @10
5oz belma dry hop 5 days
S05

Delicious, fruity/grassy aroma with a tropical melon and pineapple taste I really like this hop very much. It has some elements of citra and I even got some simcoesque cat piss. According to hops direct it's parents are magnum and kitamidori which are both high alpha bittering and not really intended for aroma so it is interesting to see that it tastes quite fruity and flavorful as opposed to clean or just grassy which I was expecting when I learned the lineage.
interesting - it certainly is a clean bittering hop.

crazy APA you brewed there btw

Quick Reply