CadillacAndy
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 85 Times on 73 Posts
Likes Given: 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by FarmerTed
I just broke down a pound of the pellets (got them yesterday), and I don't know, I get a big onion/garlic/shallot aroma from them. I'm a little worried, to be honest. Am I the only one who smells that?
That's exactly what I got from them too! I thought I was going crazy.

Looking for a way to give and receive beer feedback using online BJCP score sheets?
Check out - http://onlinebeerscores.com/ and my blog at http://onlinebeerscores.com/blog

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-15-2012, 01:56 PM   #102
bobbrews
Recipes 

Liked 275 Times on 237 Posts
Likes Given: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrewThruYou View Post
Pot meet kettle. A lot of posts I see from you are directly insulting people or their recipes. I know you call it "playful," but a lot of others find it "supremely annoying."
Oh, you mean like this?...

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f14/what...ml#post4588618

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrewThruYou View Post
I'm playing my tiny violin for you. I keep hearing this argument over and over in the past month...."but my house [insert beer style] uses [insert tough-to-procure hop]!!! Wahhhh!" If your only good beer is only made good by a certain hop, then I don't want to hear it. Adapt.
Quote:
Originally Posted by whitehause View Post
He never said it's his only good beer. If you don't want to hear it, don't listen. No need to be a D-Bag about it.
Please don't be a hypocrite and contribute to the gang mentality. I was simply trying to help new brewers avoid any confusion by labeling a particular result as a cause of ONE VARIABLE while discounting the others... (I see a lot of that going on here) and then all of a sudden it turned into a hurt-feelings seminar.

Old 11-15-2012, 02:09 PM   #103
HawksBrewer
Audible Brewing
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1027 Times on 968 Posts
Likes Given: 48

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbrews View Post
Essentially more of a hoppy & malty APA with that lower abv.
It IS an APA. PKU.

Old 11-15-2012, 02:18 PM   #104
snaps10
Recipes 

Liked 171 Times on 118 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Bobbrews and brewtheuyou

Yawn

Take it elsewhere

Old 11-15-2012, 02:36 PM   #105
scottland
Recipes 

Liked 134 Times on 104 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Anyway, I didn't get any onion or garlic when I rubbed them. I bought pellets though. There's a little bit of oily resin in there, possibly you guys are smelling that? Or to give everyone the benefit of the doubt. A. We all smells things a little differently, and B. It is an agricultural product, and they do vary.

Old 11-15-2012, 03:08 PM   #106
CadillacAndy
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottland
Anyway, I didn't get any onion or garlic when I rubbed them. I bought pellets though. There's a little bit of oily resin in there, possibly you guys are smelling that? Or to give everyone the benefit of the doubt. A. We all smells things a little differently, and B. It is an agricultural product, and they do vary.
I got pellets and whole leaf. I didn't open the leaf yet but I'll give them a sniff in a little bit. Maybe I just had it in my head what they were going to smell like and the onion smell took me by surprise.

Looking for a way to give and receive beer feedback using online BJCP score sheets?
Check out - http://onlinebeerscores.com/ and my blog at http://onlinebeerscores.com/blog

Old 11-15-2012, 03:23 PM   #107
sweetcell
Swollen Member
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 595 Times on 446 Posts
Likes Given: 234

Quote:
Originally Posted by FarmerTed View Post
I just broke down a pound of the pellets (got them yesterday), and I don't know, I get a big onion/garlic/shallot aroma from them. I'm a little worried, to be honest. Am I the only one who smells that?
Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillacandy View Post
That's exactly what I got from them too! I thought I was going crazy.
i remember opening several HD pounds last year and not being impressed with the smell. i think it has something to do with how they flush their bags - maybe it's the gas they use. it will dissipate, and will not effect the hop flavor and aroma once they're in your brew. i wrote about it here: http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f14/craz...ml#post4127184

it's kinda disappointing tho, nothing better than opening a bag of hops, sticking your head inside it and hyperventilating for about 15 seconds. HD bags just aren't conducive to that, based on my one purchasing experience last spring (although i bought 4 pounds).

anyone else have this experience? or have your HD pounds smelled normal?

Drinking: a belgian pale ale, a belgian imperial stout, an Epic 09.09.09 clone, a brett'ed saison
Carbing: a hop-bursted APA, a citra farmhouse
Fermenting: an abbey ale (to be soured)
Aging: an oud bruin, a BDSA/Dubbel thingy, a soured fruit saison, my "wild oats" brett/sour, a saison with a brett mix added at bottling.
Up next: TBD, probably not brewing again until july.

Old 11-15-2012, 03:25 PM   #108
CadillacAndy
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetcell

i remember opening several HD pounds last year and not being impressed with the smell. i think it has something to do with how they flush their bags - maybe it's the gas they use. it will dissipate, and will not effect the hop flavor and aroma once they're in your brew.

it's kinda disappointing tho, nothing better than opening a bag of hops, sticking your head inside it and hyperventilating for about 15 seconds. HD bags just aren't conducive to that, based on my one purchasing experience last spring (although i bought 4 pounds).

anyone else have this experience? or have your HD pounds smelled normal?
That's what I thought at first too. Or maybe they processed the Belma after another hop variety that has the onion/garlic.

The leaf hops don't have that smell at all. Lots of resin. Had to wash my hands 3 times to get it all off.

Old 11-15-2012, 04:41 PM   #109
FATC1TY
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 127 Times on 107 Posts
Likes Given: 24

The Belma had a ton of resin to it, I agree.. But like someone said, they also could have picked it up elsewhere.. I had my hands covered in the pollen and lupulin from Comet hops, and man those made my whole kitchen smell up. Smelled like weed with a lemon wedge in it.

Anyways- Belma smelled good. I might try some in my new APA I've got for next week...See how it dances with Cascade, Amarillo and a little Citra.

----------
Bubba's Backyard Brewery

Old 11-15-2012, 04:45 PM   #110
Jukas
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 82 Times on 66 Posts
Likes Given: 21

I don't remember any funky smell from HD pounds during the fathers day sale. I ordered a bunch of Nugget, Columbus, Willamette and US Goldings but when I opened each pound pack it was to break it down into 4oz smaller packs.

I will say though each pound was consistently 2-4oz heavy (direct hop weight on gram scale) which made the already sub $1/oz price even better.

Quick Reply