Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Bells Two-Hearted Sub

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-12-2009, 04:21 AM   #21
Wayne1
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 65 Times on 43 Posts
Likes Given: 8

I brewed a 10 gallon batch of Eschatz's recipe http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f69/bell...ey-come-91488/ for Two-Hearted Ale Clone with a friend a couple of weeks ago.

I used Safale 05 yeast. I let it sit for two weeks in primary as the krausen just didn't seem to want to drop. I racked it to secondary on Sunday and added the dry hops. This is a very nice recipe. Bitterness is fairly subtle for an IPA. The flavor and aroma are there, but the malt bill comes through more than most IPAs.

I will agree with the other posters that Amarillo is NOT a sun for Centennial. The flavor of Amarillo is far more floral. Centennial is more dry.

YooperBrew,

If you like SN Celebration Ale you might want to try my recipe for Vail Pale Ale http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f69/vail-pale-ale-60215/

Back in the day, I managed to Gold at GABF with this recipe over Celebration Ale, even though I based it on SNCA

Who can tell what judges will like?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-12-2009, 11:09 AM   #22
aksea102
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by peripatetic View Post
FYI, Northern Brewer has a clone called Three-Hearted Ale. A buddy and I each just brewed it, and I'll report back in a few weeks. Coolest thing was that both of our batches had active, bubbling fermentation for 7 or 8 full days. It smells wonderful, but I haven't tasted it yet.
I brewed the NB Three Hearted recently and cracked open a young bottle last pm. It was, and I am quoting someone else, "chock full of awesome!!".
If you cant get Two Hearted, brew this clone!!

Old 11-13-2009, 01:07 AM   #23
peripatetic
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by aksea102 View Post
I brewed the NB Three Hearted recently and cracked open a young bottle last pm. It was, and I am quoting someone else, "chock full of awesome!!".
If you cant get Two Hearted, brew this clone!!
That is GREAT to hear! I will rack to secondary this weekend, bottle in a couple of weeks, and start drinking in a month or so. What was your timing (primary, secondary, keg, bottle, whatever)? Did it mellow out over time, or did it seem to reach peak flavor right away?

-------------------------------------------------
Donated all of my gear to my Paduan Learner before recent move to West Coast. Now I get to buy all new stuff, but I certainly don't have anything brewing right now!

Old 11-13-2009, 10:40 AM   #24
aksea102
Recipes 

I racked to secondary at day 8 when fermentation had slowed down considerably, but not completely stopped. I dry hopped in secondary for exactly one week. I bottled and then cracked one open after two weeks (the curiosity was killing me). It was soooo good at week two that I doubt I will let it bottle condition for much more than a month before I start full on consumption. Already marking my calendar for the next brew date of the same beer.

Quick Reply