The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Bells Two-Hearted Sub

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-11-2009, 05:05 PM   #11
peripatetic
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by grove View Post
Mind if I ask what yeast you used?

I brewed a PM variation of the OP recipe last weekend and pitched a 1400ml starter of WLP001 into it (1.060 OG, I'm still new at this). Fermentation started within 8 hrs and has been going strong for 4 days now. A good bit of krausen came down thru the blowoff tube as well.
We both used the Safale US-05 Ale Yeast that is recommended for this kit by Northern Brewer. We didn't use a starter, but both of us rehydrated the dry yeast. His OG was around 1.060, mine was around 1.070. I think the only real difference was that he topped off with more water at the end than I did.

-------------------------------------------------
Donated all of my gear to my Paduan Learner before recent move to West Coast. Now I get to buy all new stuff, but I certainly don't have anything brewing right now!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-11-2009, 05:36 PM   #12
bdnoona
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Centennial and Amarillo are very different hops. However, I made a THA clone from AHS that used Amarillo due to the hop shortage at the time. It was an AMAZING beer and far better than the original IMO.

Fermenting, aging, kegged, bottled, drinking, etc... Who's got time to keep their sig updated?
The answer to all is: something (hopefully good).

Go White Sox! http://www.sox35th.com/

Old 11-11-2009, 05:38 PM   #13
Homercidal
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 1900 Times on 1371 Posts
Likes Given: 1045

Well, I agree that using Amarillo is not going to make a beer that tastes like Bells' Two Hearted, Founder's Double Trouble uses Amarillo and Simcoe. That's a pretty tasty IIPA IMO, so I say go for it. You might end up with an even tastier beer than you were shooting for!

Old 11-11-2009, 05:53 PM   #14
FreakinA
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homercidal View Post
Well, I agree that using Amarillo is not going to make a beer that tastes like Bells' Two Hearted, Founder's Double Trouble uses Amarillo and Simcoe. That's a pretty tasty IIPA IMO, so I say go for it. You might end up with an even tastier beer than you were shooting for!
Don't tease me like that Homer. Brew day begins in 5!
Guy Fawkes Pale Ale
Bottled:
Gunslinger Pale
Elephantine Pale Ale
On Tap
60 Minute IPA

Old 11-11-2009, 07:08 PM   #15
Homercidal
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 1900 Times on 1371 Posts
Likes Given: 1045

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreakinA View Post
Don't tease me like that Homer. Brew day begins in 5!
Oh, I'm not teasing. I believe both are very tasty hops. I'd be willing to try that sort of experimentation once I have perfected my two hearted clone.

Now you've got me thinking about brewing up an IPA next, instead of a Brown Ale...

Old 11-11-2009, 09:33 PM   #16
FreakinA
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

IPAs APAs are all I brew pretty much. Soon a ABW!

Guy Fawkes Pale Ale
Bottled:
Gunslinger Pale
Elephantine Pale Ale
On Tap
60 Minute IPA

Old 11-11-2009, 09:56 PM   #17
FreakinA
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

On a related note, I have a buddy who plays football for Hillsdale College in Michigan, He said he would bring down a few bottles of Bell's Two Hearted over Christmas for me to try. Im excited! My beer if based off of a THA clone should be at least semi-similar to Bell's right? The malt backbone should be pretty spot on, although the hops will make it a new beer it should be ballparkish right?

Guy Fawkes Pale Ale
Bottled:
Gunslinger Pale
Elephantine Pale Ale
On Tap
60 Minute IPA

Old 11-11-2009, 11:19 PM   #18
Scooby_Brew
Recipes 

Liked 27 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 21

Quote:
I do however not want to spend 2.99 an oz on Centennial hops and am going to do it with part of the pound of Amarillo I have here.
I'd say you need Centennial hops for THA. It is a distinctive Centennial IPA. I get Centennial from Hops Direct, and then I use it in my Centennial IPA, my Red Ale, as bittering hops in my APA, American Brown... You get lots of uses from this hop, especially if you like American Ales.

Last edited by Scooby_Brew; 11-11-2009 at 11:55 PM.

Old 11-12-2009, 01:27 AM   #19
FreakinA
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Yeah, I think I'll place Centennial in my cart for next order. On a related note, when you guys order form HD, what do you normally order? It was my first order, and I just went all grain so I was trying to get a wide variety of hops I could use in most American Styled Ales.

Guy Fawkes Pale Ale
Bottled:
Gunslinger Pale
Elephantine Pale Ale
On Tap
60 Minute IPA

Old 11-12-2009, 01:31 AM   #20
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4202 Times on 3059 Posts
Likes Given: 779

Quote:
On a related note, I have a buddy who plays football for Hillsdale College in Michigan, He said he would bring down a few bottles of Bell's Two Hearted over Christmas for me to try. Im excited! My beer if based off of a THA clone should be at least semi-similar to Bell's right? The malt backbone should be pretty spot on, although the hops will make it a new beer it should be ballparkish right?
No, I wouldn't think so. It's an IPA, so the malt bill is just there to back up the hops. I wouldn't think they'd be similar at all.

That's like saying you're making chicken noodle soup, but don't have any chicken so you used beef. Sure, both soup, and probably both excellent, but not the same even though it's "mostly" the same ingredients.

I bought a sixer of 2-HA today, and I noticed that it's very similar to Sierra Nevada's Celebration ale. So, if you can get Celebration, then that's pretty close. I think there are cascades in Celebration, but the flavor I got was mostly centennials.

Quick Reply