Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Bell's Hopslam sucks - sorry Bell's :(

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-20-2009, 04:53 AM   #1
beesy
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default Bell's Hopslam sucks - sorry Bell's :(

first let me say i dig Bell's beers. can't say any of them were ever undrinkable, and can't say any were bad, and i probably had 8-9 of their beers. Best Brown is the bomb!! Well, tonight, i broke down and actually paid the $18 + tax for a 6 of Hopslam. First, let me tell ya' i am pretty much a hophead and IPA r my fav. i just couldn't get over the strong alcohol bite to this one, it busted right though, what seemed to be some Chinook. I am going to keep one for a few months and maybe it will mellow out, but man, worst $$ ever spent on a beer like that. i have had many $8.99 6'ers that are smoother and have more flavor, aroma and bitterness that Hopslam. Batch was 8911, which, according to website, was packaged on 01/20. not sure how long aged at brewery, but not long enough in my book. What has been your experience with Hopslam??

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-20-2009, 05:31 AM   #2
dontman
Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 2

A lot of these specialty brewer just have to sell too early. /they get caught in a Catch 22. Hold on until its truly ready for drinking and the brewer die with carrting costs or let the beer go a month or two early and hope it tke two months to hit the consumser's mouth.

I went through the same thing with Iron Hill. A freind brought me three 22ers The first we drank that day and they were soy sauce mixed with flat cola mixed grain alcohol. Nasty. A month later I tried the third and it was well-conditioned and the flavors had all melded perfectly. The fusel had mellowed and were strictly warm undertones.

On Tap: 1. Kelly R. IPA, 2. Roter Hund Hefeweizen, 3. Bud Killer Blonde, 4. Red Dog Pale, 5. Roter Hund Oktoberfest, 6. Pumpkin Ale, 7. McRed's Stout (with new nitro system and stout tap,) Cream Soda, 8. ESB # 3, & 9. Ordinary Bitter.

Old 02-20-2009, 07:45 AM   #3
z987k

Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I'm not in any way impressed with any of bell's offerings. The brown is the best, but for the most part everything is "eh..". And I can brew that myself without any thought.(and when I do it all goes down the drain.) So... they are on the no buy list.

Old 02-20-2009, 11:14 AM   #4
Evan!

Recipes 

Liked 69 Times on 61 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Hopslam and Expedition are my favorites. You may have gotten an off batch or something. We went through a sixpack at the recent Central Veeyay Brewdown, and it was universally hailed as awesome, awesome beer. I think it could use some more pure hop flavor and aroma, but other than that, it's a great beer. I went to a Bell's Beer dinner a couple years back and wasn't impressed with a lot of their "regular" offerings, though. The Oberon and the 2-hearted just seem watery and limp-wristed to me. The Brown isn't bad, but the Amber is just boring.

.planned:
•Scottish 80/- •Sweet Stout •Roggenbier
.primary | bright:
98: Moss Hollow Soured '09 72: Oude Kriek 99: B-Weisse 102: Brett'd BDSA 104: Feat of Strength Helles Bock 105: Merkin Brown
.on tap | kegged:
XX: Moss Hollow Springs Sparkling Water 95: Gott Mit Uns German Pils 91b: Brown Willie's Oaked Abbey Ale 103: Merkin Stout
98: Yorkshire Special 100: Maple Porter 89: Cidre Saison 101: Steffiweizen '09 (#3)

Old 02-20-2009, 11:24 AM   #5
dstar26t
If it's worth doing, it's worth overdoing
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 18 Posts

If you want good bell's, go to bell's...everything is truly amazing on tap. Best 2-hearted I ever had was there at the cafe. They even had a 10% brown ale at the time which was awesome. I've had this years hopslam on tap at a local bar and I don't like it as much as last years. It's a little thinner and not as complex. I always reserve final judgement on a beer after having it atleast 2 different times...preferrably at least once on tap. Even 2 bottles out of the same case can taste different on different days.

Next: ?
Fermenting: Munich Helles v4, Dusseldorf Altbier v5, Oktoberfest v5, Dopplebock v2, Cider, Barrel Fermented Dreg Lambic, Brett Trois Helles, Carrot Blossom Cedar Mead
Drinking: Rye Berliner Weisse, Sauerkraut Fermented Gose, Lambic, Brett Trois IPA, Brett Blonde, Kriek, Saison, Sour Blonde, RIS
Barrel aged: RIS, Rye Barleywine, Tripel

Last edited by dstar26t; 02-20-2009 at 11:26 AM.

Old 02-20-2009, 11:40 AM   #6
Boerderij_Kabouter

Recipes 

Liked 119 Times on 103 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by z987k View Post
I'm not in any way impressed with any of bell's offerings. The brown is the best, but for the most part everything is "eh..". And I can brew that myself without any thought.(and when I do it all goes down the drain.) So... they are on the no buy list.
I don't believe you at all. No offense, but there is no way in hell you brew beer better than one of the recognized best brewers in the United States... This kind of statement just gives false hope to any new brewers who may be lurking.

To the OP, there is a massive difference between bad beer and beer you don't like. Hopslam is incredible. Whether you like it or not. I think it is the most impressive hop bomb around. The ridiculous amount of hops they put in there and the degree of balance they achieve is awesome. This is one of the better US beers out there IMO. It isn't always my favorite, but it is one of the best.
Old 02-20-2009, 11:43 AM   #7
Boerderij_Kabouter

Recipes 

Liked 119 Times on 103 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Oberon and Two are both session beers. You have to take them in that light... and for what they are, I have a hard time finding better.

One of the best beers I have EVER had (literally) was a Sparkling ale on tap at my local pub when I lived in the city. Awesome night, incredible beer. Although sometimes in the bottle it isn't my fav... time and place I suppose.

Old 02-20-2009, 11:56 AM   #8
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4481 Times on 3260 Posts
Likes Given: 870

Two Hearted is my go-to session beer, and I have a love of Hopslam. Hopslam is a nice IIPA. Not my favorite style, but probably my favorite of the IIPAs out there.

Old 02-20-2009, 11:58 AM   #9
remilard
Recipes 

Liked 38 Times on 37 Posts

I think Hopslam is great but I would prefer a double IPA to be more bitter and less sweet. It is far from the worst in this regard.

It isn't a particularly harsh double IPA though, so I don't really understand that criticism.

As for Bell's pushing this beer out before it is ready, come on seriously? The beer has been on shelves over a month. How stale do you people like your beer?

Old 02-20-2009, 12:11 PM   #10
LakeErieBrew
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

While I don't think Hopslam is bad in any way, I was a little underwhelmed when I tried it. I was expecting to be blown away with hop flavor and aroma, but it just didn't do it for me. Don't get me wrong, it's a good beer. It's just not what I was expected for the name and price.

For a hop fix, I'd take a Ruination over Hopslam every time.

Quick Reply