Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Belgium beers - help me!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-27-2010, 08:29 PM   #11
stevedasleeve
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 48 Times on 44 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Well maybe Belgium beers are just not for me. I suspect the people who love Belgium beers are all from Belgian. Me I'm from Scrotland & I like Scottish beers, Scotch beers though - don't know who came up with that, probably an America.

Actually when I first came to American I was quite sure all America beers were awful - and I was wright, but then came craft brewers and now I truly believe American has the best beers. Do you remember the joke about making love in a canoe? I can't tell it anymore!

FWIW and YMMV and WTF!

Steve da sleeve

PS I'm going for some sour beers tonight & I'll try a Rare Vos if they have it - thanks for the advice & entertainment!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-27-2010, 08:30 PM   #12
ForRealBeer
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Characterizing Belgian beers as singular whole would be a maddening experience. The range of styles and flavors is so wide that one could say the only the only thing they all have in common is "Made in Belgium" printed somewhere on the label.

Perhaps the closest example of a Belgian beer to the criteria you state would be Stella Artois.

But...since you are open to trying new flavors and styles, get a bottle each of Duvel, Delerium Tremens, Silly Saison, DuPont, and De Koninck and give them a shot. That's just barely scratching the surface.

Old 04-27-2010, 08:30 PM   #13
Mateo
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

One of the most popular beers the Belgians drink is Juplier, but don't expect to find it in the US though.

While I was living in Belgium this was the most popular beer and it fits the profile of a lager. Can't recall the specifics of it... wonder why?

After Juplier my favorite is St. Feuillien. I went on a double dinner date over to my French/Belgian girlfriend's house and we brought (me and my buddy) a bottle of champagne. My girlfriend made us take it home and she served St. Feuillien instead.

Oh how I miss my time in Belgium.

m.

Old 04-27-2010, 08:32 PM   #14
FromZwolle
Recipes 

Liked 50 Times on 40 Posts

Thanks! My wife is Belgian, and living in an American community in Belgium, I often here about "Belgium beers", my wife being "Belgium", etc. It really drives me crazy! Just thought I'd vent.[/QUOTE]

Does she cook belgium waffles for you?

but, seriously, it irks me too.

Old 04-28-2010, 02:17 AM   #15
stevedasleeve
Recipes 

Liked 48 Times on 44 Posts

I went. I had a pale ale, and then I had a dark ale on draft. Both tasted fruity, slightly sweet and very carbonated. Then I had a Blackcurrent lambic which tasted fruity, slightly sweet and very carbonated. All were quite strong. None appealed in the slightest.

The beer dinner was cancelled due to a "family emergency" so I gave up and went to have Ethiopian food with my beloved.

Old 04-28-2010, 08:36 PM   #16
ThoricourtBrewing
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by FromZwolle View Post
Does she cook belgium waffles for you?

but, seriously, it irks me too.
She does, actually, cook Belgium waffles for me! Usually right after the France fries!

Old 04-28-2010, 08:50 PM   #17
suprchunk
Fich Eine Ente
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThoricourtBrewing View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowbie View Post
Common mistake, but one that bothers me: it's Belgian beers, not 'Belgium' beers.
Thanks! My wife is Belgian, and living in an American community in Belgium, I often here about "Belgium beers", my wife being "Belgium", etc. It really drives me crazy! Just thought I'd vent.
Hmm, well in Germany I always see people calling them Belgium beers, not Belgian. I correct them all the time, but they don't listen to me. They must not know the correct way of saying things since they are 15 minutes away, and I'm used to being 6000 miles away.

Old 04-28-2010, 08:58 PM   #18
MeatyPortion
Internet Bartender
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 385 Times on 304 Posts
Likes Given: 222

One of my friends growing up was Swiss and another mutual friend always called him a "dumb Swede". Yes, the mutual friend smoked a lot of pot.

murr
Kegged
Modified Warbler Pale Ale (with wet-hop addition&different yeast)

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn

Old 04-28-2010, 09:18 PM   #19
carnevoodoo
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by suprchunk View Post
Hmm, well in Germany I always see people calling them Belgium beers, not Belgian. I correct them all the time, but they don't listen to me. They must not know the correct way of saying things since they are 15 minutes away, and I'm used to being 6000 miles away.
That could just be regional, too. Dialects and such are so different in many places. In the States, Belgian is the preferred terminology. If you're agreeing with this, then cool. If not, then cool.

I like your screen name, regardless. One of my top 5 favorite bands ever.

Old 04-28-2010, 09:35 PM   #20
isleofman
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 27 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 295

I am with the OP here. I have tried a few things tripels, chimay, a some stuff from ommegang and i don't care for any of it. it doesn't mean i don't respect the style, just not for me. the yeast dominates the whole flavor and just gives me a sick feeling in the pit of my stomach just thinking about it. i do feel like i'm missing out though.

i do however enjoy witbier! It is the style that got me into craft brews and brewing. Actually its going to be the next thing i brew. Maybe i'll revisit some of the styles again down the road.

+1 for the OP to try a saison

A watched pot never boils. An unwatched pot always boils over.

Quick Reply