Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Belgium beers... in denial

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-25-2007, 12:59 PM   #11
Evan!
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 69 Times on 61 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Finally some sense around here. Mostly, it's some dude who has tried a freakin' lambic and maybe an estery dubbel of some sort, and suddenly, they're experts on Belgian beers and how much they all suck. It's nice to see someone come around.

.planned:
•Scottish 80/- •Sweet Stout •Roggenbier
.primary | bright:
98: Moss Hollow Soured '09 72: Oude Kriek 99: B-Weisse 102: Brett'd BDSA 104: Feat of Strength Helles Bock 105: Merkin Brown
.on tap | kegged:
XX: Moss Hollow Springs Sparkling Water 95: Gott Mit Uns German Pils 91b: Brown Willie's Oaked Abbey Ale 103: Merkin Stout
98: Yorkshire Special 100: Maple Porter 89: Cidre Saison 101: Steffiweizen '09 (#3)

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-25-2007, 01:05 PM   #12
Wolf

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

When I'm drinking beer with dinner I like a porter, stout, wheat, or whatever goes with what I'm eating.
But if I'm sitting relaxing at night I love nothing more than a nice big Belgian, definitely my favorites.

Old 04-25-2007, 01:30 PM   #13
Cheesefood
Recipes 

Liked 32 Times on 22 Posts

I like the fun of a belgian. I don't think I could pound belgian beers all night (unless Hefe's and Wits count) but I love to drink a few.

Past Winners: Caramel Cream Ale #1, Hoegaarden Clone, Boom-Boom Vanilla Ale, Lazy Monk Abbey Style, Amarillo Cream Ale. (AG),

Buy a shirt now!!! Please! Did I help you? Buya shirt!
Cool Shirts.

Old 04-25-2007, 01:49 PM   #14
Evan!

Recipes 

Awww, c'mon, cheez...you could put away a few Gouden Carolus' Grand Cru of the Emperors, no prob. It's only 10% or so. Seriously, that stuff will knock you on your ass.

.planned:
.primary | bright:
98: Moss Hollow Soured '09 72: Oude Kriek 99: B-Weisse 102: Brett'd BDSA 104: Feat of Strength Helles Bock 105: Merkin Brown
.on tap | kegged:
XX: Moss Hollow Springs Sparkling Water 95: Gott Mit Uns German Pils 91b: Brown Willie's Oaked Abbey Ale 103: Merkin Stout
98: Yorkshire Special 100: Maple Porter 89: Cidre Saison 101: Steffiweizen '09 (#3)

Old 04-25-2007, 02:13 PM   #15
Cheesefood
Recipes 

Liked 32 Times on 22 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evan!
Awww, c'mon, cheez...you could put away a few Gouden Carolus' Grand Cru of the Emperors, no prob. It's only 10% or so. Seriously, that stuff will knock you on your ass.
I put one down. It would have been good to spread on toast, it was so thick and orange flavored.

Good stuff, but I can deal with one per year.
Past Winners: Caramel Cream Ale #1, Hoegaarden Clone, Boom-Boom Vanilla Ale, Lazy Monk Abbey Style, Amarillo Cream Ale. (AG),

Buy a shirt now!!! Please! Did I help you? Buya shirt!
Cool Shirts.

Old 04-25-2007, 02:16 PM   #16
Evan!

Recipes 

That works out nicely, cuz they only brew it once a year.

.planned:
.primary | bright:
.on tap | kegged:

Old 04-25-2007, 03:56 PM   #17
zoebisch01

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evan!
Finally some sense around here. Mostly, it's some dude who has tried a freakin' lambic and maybe an estery dubbel of some sort, and suddenly, they're experts on Belgian beers and how much they all suck. It's nice to see someone come around.
I am still shocked that people claim they don't like Belgian beers...for one, there is one kind for just about every palate (I am convinced there must be with the tons of offerings they have) at least and to draw an analogy that is the same as saying that one doesn't like German beers or American beers...in other words that is the king of blanket statements if ever there was. imho.

Brew what you like. Do this, and you will find your inner brewer.

Old 04-25-2007, 06:49 PM   #18
DeathBrewer
Maniacally Malty
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 207 Times on 113 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cweston
I think of NB's mainline beers as American Micro styles influenced by Belgian styles--some of them are better than others, IMHO. But none of them are really intended to be authentic Belgian styles, so I don't think that's really a fair way to judge them.

(Note I'm talking about the mainline beers, not the more esoteric ones.)
their tripel is supposed to be a belgian style and it's mediocre at best. it's just when they put "belgian-style tripel" or something on the label and it's flat and tastes like roasted barley and corn syrup that i don't appreciate. Unibroue has it right and there's a few american beers that do it well, but most of them i am not fond of. i think most american beers just take a belgian-style recipe, then ruin it by adding way too much hops (like hair of the dog. bleagh)

And "new belgium" claims to have belgian style beers, they just suck IMO

"Death is always with us." - Brewpastor

Quote:
DIAICYLF
We will remember...

Old 04-25-2007, 07:31 PM   #19
jezter6
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 14 Posts

I've noticed an odd number of belgian beer festivals throughout the country as of late as well. For those of you who get things like Ale Street News and Mid Atlantic Brewing News (or whatever that rag is called), you'll see 5-10 ads per mag about a belgian fest in some random place around the country.

I think Belgian beer is making a comeback. Ommegang is certainly doing what they can to promote it out here on the east coast. I also noticed a number of brewers who I never would have expected it to come out with a random saison or abbey ale.

It's a Belgian Brew Renaissance!

Old 04-25-2007, 11:05 PM   #20
Brewtopia
"Greenwood Aged Beer"

Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
And "new belgium" claims to have belgian style beers, they just suck IMO
As cweston mentioned in an earlier post. New Belgium has some more esoteric beers that are outstanding. Especially now that Peter Bouckaert formerly of Rodenbach is on board. His La Folie is what Rodenbach Grand Cru used to be like when it was a truly great beer. (before merging with Palm in the late '90s) He brought oak tuns over from the Rodenbach brewery and is making some amazing "wild" beers. La Folie, La Terrior and Love being a few of them.

Naked City Construction Thread

Quick Reply