Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > belgians for noobs

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-19-2013, 01:00 AM   #1
ronjonacron
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 26 Times on 21 Posts

Default belgians for noobs

Ive been drinking craft beer for about 5 or 6 years now and have been homebrewing for almost 2. Im trying to start with basics and work my way out. It seems to me that "belgians" vary almost as much ad ales' themselves.

Ive had pretty much every different belgian offered in my local area. Now my question would be, what is the "pale ale" of belgians? Golden? Dubbel? Abbey/trappist?

Im gonna pick up a couple more books probably next week including brewing classic styles, and one another which the name evades right at this moment. Will a couple books give me a little more insight?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-19-2013, 01:06 AM   #2
ronjonacron
Recipes 

Two specific ones that i really enjoyed were three philosophers (though a little on the get schwasted after 2 side) andt he unibroque coriander citrusy one. If that helps guide my original question at all.

Old 02-19-2013, 01:37 AM   #3
Cincy17
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 5

There is a style that is just Belgian pale ale. If you look up the style on BJCP it will give you some commercial examples and all the info about the style. I've really started getting into belgians recently, I don't know about any books but I'd be interested too if you found anything.

Old 02-19-2013, 01:42 AM   #4
dlaramie08
Recipes 

Liked 59 Times on 37 Posts
Likes Given: 2

You might also look at saison as well. Pretty simple beer.

Old 02-19-2013, 01:45 AM   #5
ronjonacron
Recipes 

I think the other one i was looking as is designing great beers or something close to that. Im on my phone so im not looking it up, thanks for the pointer on bjcp thats a good idea i forgot they do reference commercial brews.

Old 02-19-2013, 01:58 AM   #6
rexbanner
Recipes 

Liked 94 Times on 67 Posts
Likes Given: 91

Hey, I'm a nanobrewer and I focus on Belgian ales. My flagship beer is a Belgian single called Hopsail. Trappist style ales are usually strong beers that are very dry, with lots of fruity character from Belgian yeast. Single is a lower alcohol beer brewed by monks for personal consumption. Single, dubbel, tripel, and more recently, quadrupel, used to be simply ways to differentiate beers based on alcohol content, based on partigyle brewing. Since the early 20th century, breweries such as Westmalle have redefined the styles. I wrote a blog post on the subject, check it out: http://crookedrunbrewing.wordpress.c...agne-of-beers/

Peep my nanobrewery: http://crookedrunbrewing.com

Crooked Run Brewing: Traditional ales, local ingredients

Old 02-19-2013, 02:00 AM   #7
LouBrew13
Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 16 Posts

Look on the simplicity candi syrup site. There are some amazing recipes on there. One in particular is the pale ale. I think it's what you might be looking for. I made it and it was a huge hit. Denny chimed in when I was asking about it and he worked with the co. on recipes.

Old 02-19-2013, 02:13 AM   #8
Teromous
Beer Gnome
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 341 Times on 193 Posts
Likes Given: 52

You will want to get Brew Like a Monk by Stan Hieronymus. It has a lot of great information about brewing Belgian beers. Aside from brewing knowledge, it has a lot of history and some storytelling. I highly recommend it, because all of the questions you are addressing are talked about.

Old 02-19-2013, 05:22 AM   #9
Cyclman
I Sell Koalas
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 412 Times on 362 Posts
Likes Given: 127

+1 on Brew like a Monk. Do a simple Belgian Blonde. Easy, delicious, strong. Dubbels are dark (drinking one right now, love it), Trippels are pale in color, but high alcohol.

Belgos are my absolute favorites, the top of the beer food chain IMO. Yeasty, estery, lots of phenolics. Only bad thing I can think if is that they take lots of patience. But it is worth it.

Give a man a beer, waste an hour. Teach a man to brew, and waste a lifetime! Bill Owen quote

Join the Beacon Point (Aurora, CO) Brewclub on Facebook- casual, fun brewing, drinking, socializing!

Old 02-19-2013, 05:49 AM   #10
helibrewer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 229 Times on 201 Posts
Likes Given: 57

Brew Like a Monk. Designing Great Beers is an excellent book but it doesn't have one page about Belgian beer. They are my favorite beer to brew and drink, I'm just not into the 100IBU, IIPA, Imperial everything, thing

Primary:
Brite Tank/Lagering:
Kegged: Hefeweizen, Chocolate Hazelnut Porter, Kumquat Saison, Tart Cherry Cider, Belgian Tripel, Maibock Bock, Ommegang Abbey Ale Clone, Belgian Golden Strong, German Pils (WLP830)
Bottled: Belgian Quad (Grand Reserve), Derangement (Belgian Dark Strong)
On Deck:
My Site: www.restlesscellars.com

Quick Reply