Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Belgians...Everytime!!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-04-2011, 08:51 PM   #21
coypoo
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

I love Belgian ales, and am finding that I especially like the dark strong ales (Abt 12). I need to get a sack or 2 of pilsner so I can start making a bunch and not have to pay $1.85/lb of malt.

For those of you who make a a lot of different Belgians, what is your yeast choice? Does it change depending on the batch (obviously if its a wit or saison) or do you have a go to strain? I have been using 3787 and like that, especially now that I have a temp controller that will allow me to heat or cool as I have trouble in the winter getting anything over 68*F

Rowdy Reptile Brewing
http://rowdyreptilebrewing.blogspot.com/

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-04-2011, 09:48 PM   #22
crammer
Recipes 

I went through a Belgian phase a couple years ago but now I'm really into German styles.

CRAMMER RULES!

On Deck - too many to list
Primary -
Secondary 1 -
Secondary 2 -
Keg 1 -
Keg 2 -
Keg 3 -

Old 03-04-2011, 10:05 PM   #23
jmo88
Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 9

My biggest reason for brewing only a few belgians every year is the strength and resulting quantity of the serving sizes. It's the same reason I don't drink martinis very often. I love to sit down with a giant serving of sessionable beer and have several more without waking up on the bar floor. That's why I love table saisons of about 5%ABV.

Old 03-04-2011, 10:41 PM   #24
whitebirdfeathers
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 20

I'm brewing my first Belgian this weekend. It's a belgian Witbier. very excited...

That's why I'm easy, easy like Sunday morning...

Old 03-04-2011, 10:44 PM   #25
beerloaf
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Belgian beers are awesome! I just bottled a Belgian Abbey Blond. Should be great in a few weeks, I hope!

Old 03-05-2011, 04:23 AM   #26
TANSTAAFB
Recipes 

Liked 116 Times on 92 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkarp View Post
<----- Click the recipe button.
Ya know, I got so tired of clicking recipe buttons and finding nothing, I just quit clicking!!! Guess its time to post a few of my own or stop bitchin', eh?

Thanks
Bottled: Grizzly Saison, Grizzly Brett, Session Pale, Colorado Cream Ale, Cranberry Apfelwein
Primary: -37* Blue Balls Baltic Porter, Bad Dog Brown, Bohemian Pilsner
Secondary: Rarely!!!
Future: Cognitive Dissonance Cascadian Dark Ale

Old 03-05-2011, 04:29 AM   #27
TANSTAAFB
Recipes 

Liked 116 Times on 92 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by coypoo View Post
I love Belgian ales, and am finding that I especially like the dark strong ales (Abt 12). I need to get a sack or 2 of pilsner so I can start making a bunch and not have to pay $1.85/lb of malt.

For those of you who make a a lot of different Belgians, what is your yeast choice? Does it change depending on the batch (obviously if its a wit or saison) or do you have a go to strain? I have been using 3787 and like that, especially now that I have a temp controller that will allow me to heat or cool as I have trouble in the winter getting anything over 68*F
1) Check out Colorado Malting Co. in Alamosa...fresh

2) I am going through all my Belgian recipes with WLP 550 ( I brew a pale first to harvest and wash yeast from), then will repeat with another strain, then another, then another...

I want to have a side by side with many strains and many styles one day to really evaluate the wonderful Belgianny yeast influences
Bottled: Grizzly Saison, Grizzly Brett, Session Pale, Colorado Cream Ale, Cranberry Apfelwein
Primary: -37* Blue Balls Baltic Porter, Bad Dog Brown, Bohemian Pilsner
Secondary: Rarely!!!
Future: Cognitive Dissonance Cascadian Dark Ale

Old 03-05-2011, 07:33 AM   #28
DannPM
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by coypoo View Post
I've only used 3522 as I haven't been brewing that long to make too many yet.

How are you doing with headspace in the fermentor for 3787? Wyeast warms about it so I can just imagine how crazy that blowoff tube would get!

Time to have some fun

Old 03-05-2011, 08:29 AM   #29
Hoodweisen
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Do you know who else primarly brews belgians? The belgians, I believe you should take a trip to belgium too learn more my friend you could become the best you could even make
Belgians better than the Belgians!

Quick Reply