Belgians...Everytime!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DannPM

Reaction score
All but two of the batches I've ever done are Belgians.

Tripels, Dubbels, Golden and Pale Ales, Saisons...They are all just so delicious and have so much character, such variety even within the style. Then there's Belgian Specialty Ales, oh such delicious beers, like Orval!

Sometimes I wonder why anyone would want to brew anything but a Belgian!

Anyone else here brew within a certain style almost every time? Am I just crazy?

I switch it up with styles but I always have a good Belgian or two around for good measure.

I have been getting more and more into Belgians. St Bernardus Abt 12 is my all time favorite beer!!!
I will be brewing the Northern Brewers Tripel extract kit next week.
What has been your favorite that you have done?

I definitely have a few favorites that I brew again and again. One of those is a Belgian wit that is a real crowd pleaser. As far as the "one offs," Belgian styles constantly make it into the queue. They are just such interesting beers and ones that encourage experimentation.

Can you guys describe what you like about belgians? Are there certain characteristics that just do it for you? What do you look for in a good belgian ale? (I realize just saying "a belgian" is incredibly vague, but I'm trying to generalize).

It's really a family of beers more than anything else. If I had to choose one defining characteristic, though, it would be beers that rely on yeast as an important element of flavor. There are obviously exceptions to this rule--hefeweizens come to mind--but it is a good guiding principle. Belgian yeast strains throw off phenolic, tart/sour, and spicy flavors that are typically discouraged in other styles. In "Belgians," though, they are celebrated and part of what makes those beers unique.

Another defining characteristic of Belgian styles is the encouragement to experiment and push limits. Spices, fruit, odd ingredients, intentional souring...it's all good in these beers. Again, it's not a hard and fast rule, but a useful guiding principle.

If you think of the most common examples of Beligan brews, it becomes clear. Tripel, dubbel, quadrupel, witbier, saison, lambic... All of those rely to a significant extent on yeast-created flavors. Even Belgian Pale Ales intentionally incorporate tartness from the yeast.

Just my $0.02.

Can you guys describe what you like about belgians? Are there certain characteristics that just do it for you? What do you look for in a good belgian ale? (I realize just saying "a belgian" is incredibly vague, but I'm trying to generalize).

heywolfie1015 said it wonderfully above. To add my own 2 cents it's that yeast character that goes so well, and the variety, and just everything about how it tastes so strongly in such a complex and delightful way compared to other beers IMO. It's very distinct for me and just has that something extra that others beers can't get near to IMO as well.

Belgian beers are 99% of the time yeast derived in flavor. Lots of spicy phenolics and fruity esters. Because of the yeast used, the temperatures at which the beer is fermented and typical dryness of Belgian ales, they tend to be very complex and big in flavor.

For me I look for good balance. A beer without too much of any one character, but everything in it's place. A good dark strong should be warm and slightly perfumy with alcohol, followed by hints of orange peel and cherries and a nice clove-like pepperiness at the back... and all of that going on in a fairly dry (1.010) beer.

Unibroue (even though they're not Belgians) make some of the best Belgian style ales around. Probably my all time favorite commercial beer period is La Fin Du Monde which is a tripel. Trois Pistoles is a Strong Dark Ale as is their Maudite.

Those are brewed in Quebec -- french part of Canada -- how do you get hold of them if you are in Texas.
Unibroue (even though they're not Belgians) make some of the best Belgian style ales around. Probably my all time favorite commercial beer period is La Fin Du Monde which is a tripel. Trois Pistoles is a Strong Dark Ale as is their Maudite.

Back when I started brewing (in college before the modern internet) there were limited knowledge bases to draw from. Fermentation temp was a blind spot to me. My little apartment in Florida got REAL hot. I wound up brewing Belgians because everything I brewed tasted Belgian anyway.

Those were the days. I had a fermenter I called the Drunk Tank. It was sort of a brewers compost heap. I'd fill it with whatever I had on hand and let it ferment a couple days (high temps = fast ferment), and rack off a gallon or so when I needed hooch. Then I'd top it off with whatever brewing scraps I had left over (DME, mashed gains, honey, fruit juice, even plain table sugar in times of dearth). It would get emptied at "high trub mark" and the whole ungodly process would begin again.

It all sounds primative and horrible, but in those days I was physically fit, filling my head with knowledge, and enjoying the company of pretty women. Now that life is "better" and my beer is better, I find myself looking around me and wondering out loud, "What the hell happened???"

Sorry for the thread drift - Belgian beers are great.

Those are brewed in Quebec -- french part of Canada -- how do you get hold of them if you are in Texas.

Easily. You can typically find La Fin Du Monde, Maudite, Ephemere and Trois Pistoles at most good grocery stores (HEB if you're in Texas) and Twin Liquors or Specs. At some of the better stores and I'm looking hard I can find the Don De Dieu, Au Benite and even once found the Ephemere Cassis (black currant version).

I went through a solid year-long phase of Belgians. Then the hop addiction set in...

I love hops AND Belgians, so now I brew both at the same time...Raging ***** comes to mind!!!

Mmmmmmm....Belgianny Hoppy Goodness :tank:

Easily. You can typically find La Fin Du Monde, Maudite, Ephemere and Trois Pistoles at most good grocery stores (HEB if you're in Texas) and Twin Liquors or Specs. At some of the better stores and I'm looking hard I can find the Don De Dieu, Au Benite and even once found the Ephemere Cassis (black currant version).

My local Gabriel's (Blanco and 1604 in San Antonio) has a full selection of Unibroue stuff and I love them for it!!! The beer guy Robert is one of the most knowledgeable people I have met regarding beer. Doesn't hurt that he's been a homebrewer for 30+ years!!!

I picked up some Unibroue products in a grocery store in Costa Rica. A beer may be produced somewhere, but this is the global economy baby :)

Nice... I can't even find bottles of those last two IN MONTREAL. Surprised you didn't mention Blanche de Chambly - not my favorite (that goes to Trois Pistoles and Don de Dieu), but it's practically their flagship brew. I'd love to get a bottle of Eau Benité. I still have a bottle I picked up in Montreal about a year ago that I never saw before, and haven't since, called Chambly Noir.

I love Unibroue though. The first beer I bought when I turned 19 was a sixer of Trois Pistoles, and that definitely sent me on a path of enjoying great beers :)

That's funny. Over ten hears only about 2 of my batches have been belgians. I just don't care for them. To each their own I guess.

I love Belgian ales, and am finding that I especially like the dark strong ales (Abt 12). I need to get a sack or 2 of pilsner so I can start making a bunch and not have to pay $1.85/lb of malt.

For those of you who make a a lot of different Belgians, what is your yeast choice? Does it change depending on the batch (obviously if its a wit or saison) or do you have a go to strain? I have been using 3787 and like that, especially now that I have a temp controller that will allow me to heat or cool as I have trouble in the winter getting anything over 68*F

My biggest reason for brewing only a few belgians every year is the strength and resulting quantity of the serving sizes. It's the same reason I don't drink martinis very often. I love to sit down with a giant serving of sessionable beer and have several more without waking up on the bar floor. That's why I love table saisons of about 5%ABV.

Belgian beers are awesome! I just bottled a Belgian Abbey Blond. Should be great in a few weeks, I hope!

I love Belgian ales, and am finding that I especially like the dark strong ales (Abt 12). I need to get a sack or 2 of pilsner so I can start making a bunch and not have to pay $1.85/lb of malt.

For those of you who make a a lot of different Belgians, what is your yeast choice? Does it change depending on the batch (obviously if its a wit or saison) or do you have a go to strain? I have been using 3787 and like that, especially now that I have a temp controller that will allow me to heat or cool as I have trouble in the winter getting anything over 68*F

1) Check out Colorado Malting Co. in Alamosa...fresh :mug:

2) I am going through all my Belgian recipes with WLP 550 ( I brew a pale first to harvest and wash yeast from), then will repeat with another strain, then another, then another...:D

I want to have a side by side with many strains and many styles one day to really evaluate the wonderful Belgianny yeast influences

I've only used 3522 as I haven't been brewing that long to make too many yet.

How are you doing with headspace in the fermentor for 3787? Wyeast warms about it so I can just imagine how crazy that blowoff tube would get!

Do you know who else primarly brews belgians? The belgians, I believe you should take a trip to belgium too learn more my friend you could become the best you could even make
Belgians better than the Belgians!

Back