Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Belgian Starter Showing No Yeast

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-21-2009, 05:55 PM   #1
Scut_Monkey
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 13 Posts

Default Belgian Starter Showing No Yeast

Brewing right now and I noticed that the Abbey Ale WLP 530 starter that I made approximately 13 hours ago shows no yeast slurry. I pitched a full white labs vial into an 1800ml starter. I'm used to seeing a big yeast slurry by now. I have never worked with Belgian yeasts but does this sound normal or abnormal to anyone. Thanks!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-21-2009, 06:33 PM   #2
chromados
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Default Belgian Starter Showing No Yeast

I had a similar problem like this when i made my 2000ml starter for a Belgian using WLP500. I made it 2 days before my brew day and when i went to pitch there wasnt the normal large yeast cake at the bottom of the flask, but i pitched it anyway. It didnt take off like a lot of my brews when i pitch a starter, but it took off in about 16 hours and i had a solid fermentation...... so no worries just pitch it and sit back, wait, and have a beer.

Old 09-21-2009, 08:09 PM   #3
Scut_Monkey
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 13 Posts

Thanks. It really wasn't going to change my brew day because what can I do at this point besides a no chill and running to get more yeast which I don't feel like messing with nor do I think it's necessary. Simply wanted some prior experience to chime in so I had some knowledge to work off of.

The brewing is going solid. I have to say that working with homemade candi syrup is a pain in the a$$ but it smells delicious. About 25 minutes left in the boil.

Old 09-21-2009, 08:25 PM   #4
chromados
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Good to hear about the brew day and props to you for going all the way and making your own candi syrup..... i have always used AHS Dark Belgian Candi Syrup.

Let us know how it ends up going.

Quick Reply